Credit Card SCAM alert.

goldenlight

Enlightened
Today (Sunday afternoon, the day before Labor Day, around 3PM) I received a phone call from an 800 number; I ALWAYS look at the caller ID before I answer a call.

Since it was an 800 number, I assumed it was some kind of sales call. I thought it was kind of strange to get an illegal sales call on Labor Day weekend; most sales calls come on weeknights, around dinner time.

So I let it go to my answering machine. I listened as I got a VERY convincing call from 'card services' urging me to IMMEDIATELY call their 'card member service center' regarding a 'serious problem' with my credit card account.

So, not being a complete idiot, I called the 800 number **ON MY CREDIT CARD**, and I was told, just as I expected, nothing was wrong with my account.

Then, after blocking my phone number, I called the bogus number, left on my answering machine.

It was almost scary, how legitimate and professional the recording I got sounded. No accent. It sounded IDENTICAL to the recording I get when I call the legitimate number for my credit card, or my checking account.

These are NOT your average Nigerian E-mail scammers!!

The big tip-off in the original call was the LACK of information in the call: they didn't identify which credit card (Discovery, Visa, etc.) OR which bank had issued the card, OR my name; all information I would think they would have included with the original call.

I think they DELIBERATELY called on a Sunday afternoon (before Labor Day), so that the LEAST number of people would get the call.

But when I got home, (possibly on Labor Day, in the evening) I would find the message on my machine. And perhaps be foolish/tired enough to call the 800 number, which they thoughtfully provided twice.

I can't stress enough how *legitimate* the original call sounded, and how when I called the bogus number, how GOOD the recording was asking for my account number sounded.

I reported the bogus call, (and the scam 800 number) to my credit card's fraud division. They will try to get the 800 number shut down, but the people running this fraud will probably get away.

In a few day's, these scammers will have a new 800 number, and will be back in business. Or this 800 number may be based offshore, so it may just continue to robotically call thousands of numbers a day.

Hey, let's be careful out there!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks for the heads up. There's all sorts of new twists surfacing by the minute!

I still get too many of the original Nigerian format emails...can't believe anyone is still falling for it. Someone must be as they just keep on sending them out. Yeah I know it costs them next to nothing to send them out & if just one idiot responds with some funds...:ohgeez:

1wrx7

Enlightened
I got a similar phone call several months ago. I actually talked to the guy and after a couple of minutes he seemed to get frustrated with me not wanting to give him my information. His attitude screamed scammer... even though in the beginning he seemed very legit. He even had my a little nervous at first.

I'll bet if some of these scammers would put just as much effort into legitimate work, they'd do well in life:shrug:

Everybody....CYA...CYA...CYA

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
Glad you reported them. Also when calling 800 numbers call blocking does not work.

Not only does call blocking not work on an 800 number - but be aware, that when you call an 800 number your name, address, and phone number can automatically appear on the computer screen of the business you are calling.

Goldenlight, good advice! If someone calls you that your credit card has been stolen, call the number on your monthly bill. They can route you to the correct department.

Caller ID can be spoofed (made to read anything). There are services that do that for a fee.

Greta

Flashaholic
I love the ones who ask you to verify information like address. I tell them I'll verify it if they give it to me. They tell me, "We can't do that"... and my reply? "Well neither can I!" :grin2: ... We reach an impasse and I thank them for their call and tell them to have a lovely day... and hang up! :poof: