TK10 HEAD stuck! Does not turn

unique

Enlightened
The head on my TK10 is stuck! IT will not turn Its stuck on turbo mode and the head will not turn. Its like its been welded on.
My palms have gone red and right now are burning from trying my hardest to turn the head to no luck.
What happened!!!!!! Why can't it turn. :shrug::shrug:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Try heating it up for a while then try again and see if that helps, use something rubber or a grippy material.

unique

Enlightened
After a quick search it revealed that the threads could be stuck together, like literally 'fused' together. But weird this is I only used it few days ago. How the hell can this happen? :(

Not funny!!!

unique

Enlightened
LOL! Try heating it up for a while then try again and see if that helps, use something rubber or a grippy material.
Well since its on turbo mode I'm going to leave it running for a bit for the light to heat up. Lets see what happens.

So upset :(

unique

Enlightened
Last time I gave it a clean and used nyogel which was about 5 months ago. But I was playing with it few days ago and it turned without a problem .. :(

Not that much lube, I didn't want to over do it but there was enough lube...

I just checked my TK11R2 and thats fine just not the TK10!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two TK10's, never had this issue. Could you have turned too hard the wrong way and fused the threads together? Had you applied anything to the threads?

Also make sure you are only gripping the front of the head, and not the collar at the base of the head.

unique

Enlightened
Yeah its definitally not budging. The threads could have fused together. I just gave it to my dad and if he can't unscrew it no chance for me.

I never screw that heads on tight, in fact I always leave them on low mode when not in use but this time I must have left it on high mode but even if I did no way do I tighten them that much. I leave it sitting 'lose' on turbo mode.
This is very awkward. I got the TK10 just over one year ago. Will fenix store do me any favours.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone else use your light? Be funny if someone thought it was loose and glued it together for you. :p

Most likely the threads are just mashed together. Do you know if the threads were lubed or not? Had you ever cleaned the threads and put the light back together without re-lubing? You can read up on galling here, which can happen with aluminum threads from my understanding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

Duglite

Newly Enlightened
Just for the sake of "yes I tried everything", take the batteries out and try again. That way you'll know if there was a leak, too. And it will equalize the pressure.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try putting it in the freezer for 1 hour so the parts contract.

Then use two strap wrenches .

Re-think it ....... be sure you're turning the right way .

unique

Enlightened
Does anyone else use your light? Be funny if someone thought it was loose and glued it together for you. :p

Most likely the threads are just mashed together. Do you know if the threads were lubed or not? Had you ever cleaned the threads and put the light back together without re-lubing? You can read up on galling here, which can happen with aluminum threads from my understanding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

God I hope no ones done that because it does sit on my desk with anyone coming in and out. :mad:

The threads definitely were lubed. I done it about 5-6months ago :(

I take apart the whole thing, clean the threads and o-rings with alcohol swab and ear cleaners and brush around the threads and all black gunk comes out.
Then relube with the nyogel (ALL the threads and o-ring) and put it all back together.

unique

Enlightened
Try putting it in the freezer for 1 hour so the parts contract.

Then use two strap wrenches .

Re-think it ....... be sure you're turning the right way .
I really don't want to do anything to damage it. I sent fenix store an email and lets see what they are going to say. I might get a refund, don't they have some sort of lifetime warranty?

SunFire900

Newly Enlightened
TooManyGizmos gave the best advice, except I'd just use the fridge to cool it down. This will shrink the metal a little and maybe help you to loosen it.

Now, GET A GRIP! If you had a couple of small, rubber strap wrenches it would help a lot. If nothing else, try using the bottom side of a mouse pad (or two) to help with getting a grip on the smooth HAIII. Make sure there is no grit on the pad(s)!

I find it hard to believe anyone would remove the head and clean the lube off the threads and then glue the head on. Do you have any enemies? Super glues/epoxy's don't work well on top of lubricants, though some may, but I think it is unlikely.

I also find it difficult to believe that the threads are "fused" together or galled unless someone used wrenches to tighten it.

Lastly, all you can expect to get from Fenix is advice, if that.
icon9.gif

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given that those are bare aluminium, its possible that the lube dried out for some reason, and they have indeed galled.

Im sure fenix-store will be able to help you out. :)

tough luck though...:sick:

Crenshaw

unique

Enlightened
It may be galled and I do think that the lube as dried out!

I was on holiday for 3 months and just cam back 2 weeks ago, I took the lights with me.
TK11R2 and TK10 (They came in handy a lot)
I kept them with me at all times, not in checked luggage.

But I was playing with my TK10 few days ago and I was turning from turbo to low mode without a problem.

Its really cold here in Australia (can get freezing in the room the lights in)
and so I leave my heater on when I'm in this room.
Could the frequent change in heat/cold have done anything?

This one has me puzzled heaps.

I hope I don't have to send the light out, its nearly $25 postage :(. I'm very tight on funds these days after a 3 month holiday!

SunFire900

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm. User owned light for ___ months. User cleaned/lubed head threads. Head threads galled and fused. This would usually mean a non-manufacturer problem. Especially if the threads have been glued!

Unique, I am still convinced that you will be able to get it loose. Never give up. Good luck!

If Fenix was to replace the light, then I would be sure to add them to the "Cheers" threads.:D

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the light was tightened when it was very cold, and then it warmed up and is now stuck? Try freezing it again, just take the batteries out. People have frozen their Fenix lights in blocks of ice, it will be fine.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rubber strap wrenches will move stuff that feels seized for life. They are only a few $ for a pair and they don't damage the surface.