Serious Flashlight help needed!!!

boxerdog23

Newly Enlightened
I am in the final phase of my police academy and in a few weeks, I will be hitting the streets. I have a general idea of flashlights, batteries and types of bulb systems so I am not completely clueless. I will be working in a Major city in Texas, so this thing will be getting used.

I already have a streamlight which is my main light for traffic stops and large building searches. Its a big light and very heavy to carry on my duty belt which is approaching well over 40lbs with all of my gear (gun, mags, taser, batton, cuffs, holders etc.

I need a permanent flash light for my duty belt. Here is what I need

1. Compact

2. rechargeable

3. not overly expensive, I am approaching well over $4,000 in gear over the last 6 months. I can spend up to about $120-$130 ish.

4. I need to buy a complete flashlight set up, I really need to buy one complete "kit".

Heres what I have looked at, the streamlight strion, but I do not know which one to get, the LED or the other one?

Thanks for all of your help!!!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I would get a Ra Clicky Tactical 170.

IMO, its the best small EDC (EveryDayCarry) light made, period.

I have two of them and love them. You can feed them Rechargables, no problem. When the battery gets low, it will drop to a lower level, not just shut off and leave you in the dark like alot of other lights on rechargeables.

Link to light: http://www.uniquetitanium.com/ra_lights.htm

Link to RCR 123a batteries & Charger: http://www.uniquetitanium.com/batteries.htm

Good luck bud!!

Oh, and welcome to CPF!!~ :twothumbs

325addict

Enlightened
Well, as I see you don't care for a pound more or less. Of course, that large one IS too heavy! It was quite modern in the eighties, but nowadays things have changed... radically in the world of flashlights.

A complete KIT can be made yourself quite easily.

Let's start with the light itself. It would be great if it was compatible with 18650 Li-ion cells, as these simply are the best. Period.

So here we are: a few recommendations.

1. The Olight M20 warrior premium. This is a tough, lightweight, small light, and it is reliable! It is also 18650 compatible.
2. The same goes for the Fenix TK11 R2 edition. 18650 compatible.
3. The Fenix TA21 for multi-multi-purpose. Also 18650 compatible.
4. The Wolf Eyes Sniper MC-E. VERY bright, 580 Lumens. 18650 compatible.

5. Want a Surefire? Then go for the C3 Centurion HA. This one needs two 17500 Li-ion rechargeables. This is the first incandescent flashlight I can really recommend. The standard P90 is very, very fine and useful. It has, however only one mode: "on" in 105 Lumens :)
(Don't let this fool you! These are Surefire-lumens, which means: out-of-the-front Lumens, nearly all other manufacturers state "emitter-lumens" and this can be twice as high as ootf-lumens.)
You can easily "drop in" another light source, if you don't want it to be an incandescent light. Malkoff Devices makes the finest LED-dropins for Surefire.

The only good battery-charger, capable of charging the batteries you need, is the Pila IBC charger. Go and get one!

The only really good protected Li-ion batteries come from AW. You can buy them here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=233089

You need the 18650-2600mAh for recommendations 1 through 4 and two 17500s for the Surefire C3. Better take a spare set, so take 2 18650s or 4 17500s.

Now, your "SET" is complete :)

There are LOTS of other flashlights available, I know Novatac is good also...

Timmo.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E1b or E2DL. LX2 if you prefer a 2-stage tail switch.

Nitecore Extreme.

Not sure what you meant by "complete kit", but I was thinking best bang for buck is Solarforce L2. Though affordable, it doesn't lack in quality and reliability as I've read of cases here being used in Iraq and Afghan tours. You can have any battery combination, mainly 1x18650, 1xCR123, 2xCR123 etc. On top of that, you can insert any P60 style drop-ins from Solarforce, Surefire, Dereelight or Malkoff. So, it's an extremely versatile and upgradeable choice.

jchoo

Enlightened
Are you looking to replace or supplement your big Streamlight?

Many compact lights on the market now will easily outperform your big light (except as a baton, of course). If you are good about charging and changing batteries when they need it (at least once a week for your backup (if rechargeable), and maybe even before each shift for your primary light, depending on use and what 12 hours of the day you happen to be working) then yes, the 18650 lights will suit your needs. I can second the recommendation for the Olight M20 Warrior - it is a very bright, tough light, with useful modes (low/med/high/strobe). It comes with a holster that should fit over a duty belt (I can't say for sure as I never tried, but I'd guess a 2" belt would not be a problem). Not only that, but the holster has two loops on the side to carry spare 18650 batteries - and the light comes with a tube to hold two primary (non-rechargeable) CR123 batteries as a backup to your rechargeables should they fail or run out (lack of diligence on your part, or a really long night at work!)

Here is my suggestion:

Olight M20 Warrior, roughly $75 shipped from: http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-124/Olight-M20-Warrior-Premium/Detail

Two AW 18650 2200mah cells, plus WF-139 charger and car adapter cable for charger, roughly $55 shipped from http://www.lighthound.com/

That gets you everything for need for a rechargeable setup for about $130. Your department is likely to be able to provide CR123 cells for you to fill the Olight's spare cartridge, so I haven't included any of those. This light is small enough (about the size of a large can of OC spray) to live on your duty belt 24/7, yet powerful enough to replace your large Streamlight. I would strongly suggest picking up an additional light, designed to use 1xCR123 cell (that way you can re-purpose your two spare CR123s for the Olight and get better use out of them if need be). There are many good CR123 lights, including the Ra Clicky mentioned above (which I have and love), but there is one light I'd suggest as a backup - a 4Sevens Quark 123 Tactical. At only $54 and change including shipping (after using your CPF discount), it gives great value for money, and is small enough to be forgotten about - until you need it!

By the way - in case you haven't figured it out, "18650" is the designation of a certain type of lithium-ion rechargeable cell that is 18mm in diameter by 65mm in length. We commonly refer to various rechargeable cells by their dimensions and manufacturer - hence an AW 18650 is a 3.7v lithium ion cell, sold by AW, that is 18mm x 65mm.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
I can only warn for the WF-139 charger: depending on the version(!) they will ruin your batteries quickly. Just buy the (more expensive, indeed) Pila IBC.

When you want an extra "1X CR123A" light, I can also recommend the Fenix P1D. It is as small as it gets for this type of light, and it is BRIGHT!! You won't believe your eyes...

Instead of the AW 18650-2200mAh I would go for the newer 2600mAh version. They simply last longer per charge!

Timmo.

boxerdog23

Newly Enlightened
Can I get holsters/ holders for some of these flashlights as it needs to go on my duty belt. My pockets are full of other stuff.

jchoo

Enlightened
Both of the lights I mentioned in my post (Olight M20 Warrior and 4Sevens Quark Tactical 123) include holster, lanyard, and spare o-rings. I'm sure there are pouches available from whomever makes your duty belt (Galls, Bianchi, etc.) that would fit either light and match your basketweave/leather if that's what you've got.

jchoo

Enlightened
I can only warn for the WF-139 charger: depending on the version(!) they will ruin your batteries quickly. Just buy the (more expensive, indeed) Pila IBC.

When you want an extra "1X CR123A" light, I can also recommend the Fenix P1D. It is as small as it gets for this type of light, and it is BRIGHT!! You won't believe your eyes...

Instead of the AW 18650-2200mAh I would go for the newer 2600mAh version. They simply last longer per charge!

Timmo.

I was trying to stay within his budget. ;)

sfca

Enlightened
We should ask what modes you want with your flashlight. Momentary-high, low, strobe, momentary-low, etc.
And of course, if 2-handed operation to switch modes is out of the question for you.

AusKipper

Enlightened
Lots of good options for you in this category, your probably looking at a 2xCR123 light (most of the lights already mentioned are 2xCR123)

I'm going to +1 the Fenix TK11 R2, I own this torch and it is excellent.

Eagletac T20C2 will probably be a good option (don't own one, so no 1st hand experience on this one but I would expect its brighter than the TK11 R2)

Olight M20 Warrior is probably another decent option(dont own one of these either)

If you want AA's the Fenix LD20 or TK20 would be good choices (TK20 has a warm tint if you would prefer that)

As far as reliability goes you cant go wrong with a surefire (from what I have heard, i dont own one of these either)

So theres some options for you to think about

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I would be reconsidering any suggestion that uses a clicky-type tailcap. If this is your go-to light when the SHTF, a momentary twisty is the least likely to fail when you need it. A Surefire G2L or G3L with appropriate rechargeables would be my pick. Small, lightweight, upgradable, reliable. And either can run on primaries non-rechargeables) if required in a pinch.

boxerdog23

Newly Enlightened
I like the olight and the fenix, I just dont know if I can find a holster/holder for it.

What size belt would the olight holder fight? I need something that will fit a 2. 5 inch belt.

AusKipper

Enlightened
I like the olight and the fenix, I just dont know if I can find a holster/holder for it.

What size belt would the olight holder fight? I need something that will fit a 2. 5 inch belt.

I'm reasonably sure the Fenix holster that comes with the light will fit on a 2.5" belt.

Not sure about the Olight though..

gem

Newly Enlightened
I am in the final phase of my police academy and in a few weeks, I will be hitting the streets. I already have a streamlight which is my main light for traffic stops and large building searches. I need a permanent flash light for my duty belt. Here is what I need
1. Compact
2. rechargeable
3. not overly expensive, I am approaching well over $4,000 in gear over the last 6 months. I can spend up to about $120-$130 ish.
4. I need to buy a complete flashlight set up, I really need to buy one complete "kit". get, the LED!
Thanks for all of your help!!!
Boxer, welcom and I wish Ü well at keeping the streets clean for us all.
While many so far have made gud recommendations, keep in mind that your as a FNG on the job will probally get the gravyard shift and a gud strong LED light with enough staying power to keep you in gud light for hours if need be.

On yor budget, I lean towards a mini LED flashlight that has at least 250 lumens if not more, uses 1x18650 battery(get two batteries, 1 for spare) and get a Pila charger. As far as just 1 mode or multible modes, that would be a personal decision. There are many out there that will fit yor budget for all needed.

sfca

Enlightened
I[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]m going to try to make this clear and concise.
All the lights mentioned fit your budget and are reliable. User interface would make or break the light I choose.
The Olight M20 holster (fits some other lights) and battery magazine can be found here, among other places. (CPF discount)

I[FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]d consider a flashlight with half-press for momentary-high and click-on for constant high and does not switch to strobe or low unnecessary. For example the Eagletac T20C2.
The other (unfortunately not-so hidden) mode is strobe. This can accessed by doing a rapid twist from General mode to off and back to General mode again. Unfortunately, it can also be accessed by simply clicking off-on within 3 secs.

This removes the ability to rapidly signal in momentary mode, and means you will always strobe yourself if you turn the light back on within 3 seconds of it turning off.
Any others?

My recommendations? I'll add the Tiablo A7 is now out, if you can wait a week check back for a review.
One thing that sticks out to me is the higher alloy used – 7075 grade. It also looks suited for the Surefire/Rogers technique.

Since you want 1 light for now, wait for the 2009 Novatacs (Special Ops - 75 mins runtime) with the customizable UI to come out before getting a backup.
Then you can see first how you like the UI on your first light.

The current Novatac 120T: *30 minutes runtime on high
When off: press for momentary-high, click-on for constant high.
Double-click when on for 10 lumens. Triple-click for .03 lumens. Double-click to go back to the previous mode.
When on: press for momentary-strobe. Release for previous constant mode.

Most importantly though, you'll be hitting the streets in a few weeks so just sleep on it.
Shipping won't take long and it's better to make a choice when you've forgotten about it for a bit then come back to it.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest the Jetbeam Jet III Military, it uses rechargable cells. Has 2 modes, switched by twisting the head, the modes are MAX (225 lumens) and the other is programmable using Jetbeam's IBS user interface, so you can program it to low mode to save on cell life and also when you don't need too much light, for e.g when writing out tickets etc.

Also, this thing is built like a tank.

You can get it here and if you want an assault bezel, well, they have that too.

cells, chargers and cell carriers available here it's a one stop shop.

there's a discount off Jetbeam lights, code is "cpfjet" though i am unsure if it will apply to items on sale.

CPF-er selfbuilt has done one of his typical very thorough reviews here and there is another review here which is of the titanium model but the features would all be the same.

For a belt carry light, i dont think you could go that far wrong with the Jet III Military, think you would carry something bigger in the car right?

Oh, and have a smaller light in your pocket as a back up, either 1xCR/RCR123 or 1xAA/14500, i'd go for a Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS v3.0 (3 modes individually programmable) or a Nitecore D10/EX10.

boxerdog23

Newly Enlightened
I would like to thank everyone for their input, I have a lot of material to go over before I make a final decision. I do not think I explained our set up, I will carry my larger Streamlight XL 20 LED mainly for traffic stops as it serves as a batton if needed. Its a large light to put on my flashlight ring, so that is where my duty belt light comes in handy. The areas that I might be stationed are going to be urban (lots of dark corners )and I do need a quality light be able to see what is in front of me.

I was wondering what the life of the 18650 batteries is in terms of recharging them? How many times can I recharge them?

AusKipper

Enlightened
I was wondering what the life of the 18650 batteries is in terms of recharging them? How many times can I recharge them?

More than often enough to make the cost of them (and using them) negligible.

Certainly you would not be using more than 5c worth of battery longevity per charge.

I wouldn't worry about it.