I think I killed my Nitecore Defender

packinheavy

Newly Enlightened
Or at least maimed it a little. I ran it through the wash recently and it will no longer cycle between brightness levels. It will still strobe, but there is no difference in brightness when you rotate the head and you can no longer adjust the brightness level on the low end. I don't have it with me right now as I am TDY, but I wanted some opinions on how to fix it or who to have do the work.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Run it thru the dryer on the Delicate cycle ............

Along with the panty hose

Then check back with us with the results .

daimleramg

Banned
My zebralight H30 went through wash and dry a few months back. The only thing wrong with it was the nyogel that was on the threads leaked into the light itself where the CR123 was. So I changed it for a fresh new CR123 and still works perfectly, low med and high.

TXDiver

Newly Enlightened
Packin,

As with most electronics, if you can get the battery out right away, that helps. Then soak the electronics in alcohol, and allow it to dry completely. Alcohol binds to the water and removes it.
Unfortunately, if the light activated while tumbling inthe wash, it might have damaged the circuits. Get some alcohol, and good luck.

packinheavy

Newly Enlightened
But if he already turned it on .......

it may have shorted .........

May be too late now .

Like I said, I left it home when I went TDY and I can't play with it right now. I did turn it on right after getting it out of the dryer so it may be toast. I guess I will just get back to you guys in December when I get home, but I fear the worst. I will be ordering a replacement while I am out of town though. Thanks for the input guys.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
That I can do.

fyi...if you run a cell phone, flashlight, etc thru the wash or get it soaked- IMEDIATELY put it into a tuperware container with raw white rice- the rice will wick away the moisture/greatly speed the drying process.
http://lifehacker.com/5342899/top-10-tricks-macgyver-would-be-proud-of

blackberry_in_rice.jpg

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cheapskate

Enlightened
If you have an oven that will reliably maintain low temperatures in the 40-100 C range, take it apart and pop it in the oven at 50-60 c for an hour or so, that will get out any residual moisture.

Some microwave ovens with a grill and convection oven capability have a dough proving setting of 40 C that would suffice.

Now waiting for someone to lecture me on the dangers of microwaving metal objects with electronic circuits :whistle: