The new brass-sinked NiteCore EZ's

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Hello, and sorry if I'm in the wrong sub-forum as they are plenty :)

I noticed the recently-introduced Nitecores advertised as having aluminum body with brass heatsink for thermal dissipation. Now I'm not knowledgeable about flashlight tech, but for the metal part that sounded about as smart as building a copper flashlight with stainless steel heatsink.

Anyone care to explain for a newbie? Using brass in the body would make a sweet looking light but the other way around...

Marduke

Flashaholic
Brass is a superior heatsink to aluminum, which is of the utmost importance for such high power in such a small light.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brass is a superior heatsink to aluminum, which is of the utmost importance for such high power in such a small light.

Since aluminum has better thermal conductivity than brass, I would think some factors other than thermal characteristics had them choose brass.

I know some manufacturers use brass because they can solder directly to it.

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Wow. You guys are fast. :bow:

Thanks Paul, and btw. aluminum has also significantly better thermal capasity per weight than brass so it's even more than so likely to be the looks and threads (witch is pretty damn clever use for the sink if you ask me :p)

Marduke

Flashaholic
Since aluminum has better thermal conductivity than brass, I would think some factors other than thermal characteristics had them choose brass.

I know some manufacturers use brass because they can solder directly to it.

But brass has a better thermal capacitance for a given volume, which gives it the advantage for several minutes, which would be the extent of the typical usage for a "keychain" light, of which the EZ series is billed as. However, the pill is mostly surrounded by an Al shell, with only very thin ring of exposed brass when in use. This allows the brass heatsink to quickly wick away the heat, and the Al shell to more efficiency dissapate the heat to the external environment. Best of both worlds...

Besides that, and the ability to solder directly onto, it is usually easier to machine and will produce smoother, longer lasting threads.

Last edited:

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
But brass has a better thermal capacitance for a given volume, which gives it the advantage for several minutes
-clip-
easier to machine and will produce smoother, longer lasting threads.

Yes for a better capacity for a given volume, but not weight... you would end up using lead or something as silly if that's only criteria. (Hint: it's not going to work and benefit would be measured at seconds not minutes ;))

Also the brass as a threading material isn't extraordinary for it's smoothness but for brass' "self lubricating" properties, which I'd still say are a pretty wicked pick for the light :D

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes for a better capacity for a given volume, but not weight... you would end up using lead or something as silly if that's only criteria. (Hint: it's not going to work and benefit would be measured at seconds not minutes ;))

Also the brass as a threading material isn't extraordinary for it's smoothness but for brass' "self lubricating" properties, which I'd still say are a pretty wicked pick for the light :D

But in the EZ package, you are limited for volume (size) much more so than anything else. They are attempting to make the most potent lights in the smallest package, which means Brass is better than aluminum for the given volume.

Combined with it's other properties, that is why brass is so often used for LED heatsinks, especially with AL shells.

And yes, I was referring to the "self lubricating" properties of brass threads when I referred to them being smoother operating.

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Superlative would be copper, if leaving silver and other silly materials out of question. Using brass is more aching to using lead ;)
Probably the solderability and easy/cheap machineability is the likely cause for brass'es market share.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Superlative would be copper, if leaving silver and other silly materials out of question. Using brass is more aching to using lead ;)
Probably the solderability and easy/cheap machineability is the likely cause for brass'es market share.

Brass is cheaper, easier to machine, and less reactive than copper.

In such a small package, the weight over aluminum is extremely negligible, and the light overall is still much lighter (and smaller) than other comparable lights.

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Would make sense to use OFHC copper that for the pill dontyouthink, also stainless steel for the bezel, aluminum for the head, titanium for the battery tube and micro thermonuclear power plant as the batteries :laughing:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Would make sense to use OFHC copper that for the pill dontyouthink, also stainless steel for the bezel, aluminum for the head, titanium for the battery tube and micro thermonuclear power plant as the batteries :laughing:

So other than to be ridiculous, and since the original "question" was answered, what exactly was/is the point of this thread?

No, it would not make sense to use OFHC copper in the EZ. As you said:

Now I'm not knowledgeable about flashlight tech

So perhaps the designers and engineers know what they are doing, "dontyouthink"? :poke:

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
:shrug: to try to guess which is the ultimate material for the "pill", threads aside? I'll give the people at Nitecore that they most likely have the best compromise nailed down...

Marduke

Flashaholic
:shrug: to try to guess which is the ultimate material for the "pill", threads aside? I'll give the people at Nitecore that they most likely have the best compromise nailed down...

If the "ultimate material" for the thermal properties of a pill is your only criteria, the answer is simple. Diamond...

There is no "guessing". There is however knowledge of basic physics and sound engineering judgement put into the design.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
of course, there are probably better materials, but you also have to factor in the cost of machining/obtaining them.

we don't want the cost of these small lights to be too extreme.

yeah, marduke.
diamond has excellent thermal properties.

I believe there is diamond heatsinking paste available on the market.
of course.. here comes the cost.

machined diamond, anyone? :crackup:

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Heh, like I said... no silly materials; copper was reasonably priced and somewhat workable material last time I checked. They even make these things out of titanium and that's pain in the proverbial to work on if anything.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Heh, like I said... no silly materials; copper was reasonably priced and somewhat workable material last time I checked. They even make these things out of titanium and that's pain in the proverbial to work on if anything.

As stated several times now, copper is more expensive to purchase, is softer, oxides much worse, is much more expensive and difficult to machine, and typically has worse mechanical properties.

Used as a slug would be one thing, but used as a mechanical components is completely another.