Trustfire        
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Master thread for disasters and generators.

Default Re: Master thread for disasters and generators.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    My problem with UPSes [snip]
    UPSs are generally pretty terrible. SLAs fail seemingly randomly and without warning (seen more than one UPS with a periodic "load test" that will pass dead batteries). The power quality is awful. The software is dreadful.

I can't find a li-* generator that satisfies either. I just need something that does UPS functions using AC passthrough with a reasonable wattage / watt-hour level - ideally with LFP cells so that the thing actually lasts a few years without costing so freaking much. The ECOFlow River is close-ish to this ideal. Otherwise I'm seeing a lot of stuff being pitched on crowdfunding websites that I wouldn't touch even if the price were reasonable - too much potential for fly-by-night shenanigans.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    My problem with UPSes is replacing the batteries cost almost as much (or more) than just buying a new one. Lead acid battery prices are nuts these days I used to be able to buy UPS batteries for $10 each now it is hard to find them much under $25. We really need a cheaper better battery alternative for UPSes, something that lasts 10 years or is less than half the price per watt hour than SLAs.
    In the consumer line, yes, prices for batteries are close to a new unit. In the nicer units, that's not so.

I deal with a ton of the apc smart-ups 1500va units. New unit is $450-600. New batteries are $125.

My advice, for a cheap UPS. Find a smart-ups unit on ebay WITHOUT batteries. Then, using the external battery anderson powerpole connector, plug in your own SLA pack using cheaper packs, secondhand packs, etc.

You need one of the units that have the APP external connector. The smart-ups are bulletproof. I've seen 1 dead one in ~20 years. They 1) put out a nice sine-wave and 2) will cold start.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    My advice, for a cheap UPS. Find a smart-ups unit on ebay WITHOUT batteries. Then, using the external battery anderson powerpole connector, plug in your own SLA pack using cheaper packs, secondhand packs, etc.

You need one of the units that have the APP external connector. The smart-ups are bulletproof. I've seen 1 dead one in ~20 years. They 1) put out a nice sine-wave and 2) will cold start.
    Perhaps the newer models are decent, but I had a couple of old SMART-UPS 1400 units (late-90s/early-00s vintage) that loved to kill batteries.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Most of the smart ups 1400/1500 seem to last 3-4 years in normal usage. I think the premature deaths are caused by running packs all the way down and/or heat from poor ventilation.

+

Talked to my brother today, his F150 hybrid has 7.2kW of available power in the bed of the truck.
    He was driving it as we talked.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Talked to my brother today, his F150 hybrid has 7.2kW of available power in the bed of the truck.
    He was driving it as we talked.
    Napkin math... that's about 500 18650's
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Yesterday my sister and I went to a seafood festival. It was not what we expected. We thought it was going to be a real foody adventure... NOT. More like a mixture of arts and crafts flea market and garage sale. There were a half a dozen food trucks/trailers like in a carnival, only two had fish.

There were a few generators running. At first I saw a harbor freight predator 2000 inverter unit. I pointed it out to my sister and said "I have one like that... see how quiet it is? Remember how loud that power washer was we rented 2 weeks ago?" Well, she really didn't recall. 20 yards later, I couldn't hear a large inverter generator, that was twenty feet away from me, because it was so quiet, but primarily because the noise coming from a standard open frame generator, two trucks down, was drowning it out. The noisy one could be heard all over the field.

The difference in the sound level was truly astounding.
    Last edited by Poppy; 05-02-2021 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Napkin math... that's about 500 18650's
    +

There are several outlets in the bed of the truck including a big 4-prong 30A unit. All the stuff of a big home generator.
    For the battery pack that propels the truck, my question, how it's recharged?

If you can idle the truck anywhere & have 7.2kW power continuously = that's just incredible, no other way of looking at it.

+

There are several outlets in the bed of the truck including a big 4-prong 30A unit. All the stuff of a big home generator.
    If it's like other hybrids, there's a motor-generator on the driveshaft that's good for many kW which recharges the traction battery. A normal alternator on an accessory belt likely charges the starter battery and runs the engine electronics.

+

If you can idle the truck anywhere & have 7.2kW power continuously = that's just incredible, no other way of looking at it.
    That's approx 10 HP, so not much of a load.

F-150 hybrid looks to sport a 47 HP electric motor and a 1.5kWH li-ion traction pack. 47hp = ~35kW. Only asking about 20% from it at peak generator output.

That's assuming that the copper winding's generator output is the same as its motor output. On one hand, sure, they are the same. On the other... not so sure given the heat load a 35kw genset puts off with the truck is not moving. In a perfect world, they would modulate generator output depending on ambient temp and vehicle speed.

+

The torque from the electric motor works with the internal combustion, to get a vehicle going.
    ~ then the internal combustion takes over entirely at like 30~40mph. That's the main fuel savings.
    (if you stomp on the accelerator at speed, there may be some interesting engine mapping/electric extra GO)

It's all about the electric motor torque, which is immediate.

This is very helpful to turbo motors & turbo lag.

My brother has only had that truck like 2 weeks,, I told him it checks alot of boxes

We are 3-4 hours into power outage. Whole house kohler is running nicely. Dark is approaching... I feel for the neighbors when that happens.

Some nasty weather came through. Tornado on ground headed my way ~ 65 mph. That's MOVING.

65mph may not be all bad..... the huge ones sometimes move a lot slower and cause huge amounts of damage while the fast ones often are rather small.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Widespread tree damage. Power outages far & wide.

..Whole house kohler is running nicely...
    +

Jump in your private plane, fly up here & spend a couple nights at the American Club.
    Talk to your people who know people & get a reservation at River Wildlife. https://www.destinationkohler.com/di...ife-restaurant

I'll wave to you as you fly home.

Kohler is a fascinating town 15min to my east.

Some of those company towns are interesting. Think Hershey did something similar.

On a current note, genset is still running ~23 hours now. Neighbor has generator salesman giving him a quote right now.

I will shutdown at 24 hour mark and check oil.

Neighbor has generator salesman giving him a quote right now.
    Nearly ~2 months on from winterpocolpyse I gather that anyone in the state able to make any kind of money on whole-house units - sales, installation, shadowy in-betweener - is booked solid for the foreseeable future.

Just shutdown and went back on mains power after ~30 hours. My nat gas bill is gonna be hefty. Oil level was good.

Glad to hear that you were prepared, and made it through without any damages.

A U.S. oil pipeline company just got shut down from a cyberattack. The pipeline shut down brings oil to 50 million people on the east coast. Make sure you guys have fuel for those generators. If some of those east coast power plants use the same fuel piped in, we may eventually have blackouts if supply runs low and they don't stop the cyberattack. Take this as a warning to be prepared. Cyberattacks are going after critical infrastructure now. It's a good time to update your preps and make sure you're good in all areas. We never know what will happen next.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    A U.S. oil pipeline company just got shut down from a cyberattack. The pipeline shut down brings oil to 50 million people on the east coast. Make sure you guys have fuel for those generators. If some of those east coast power plants use the same fuel piped in, we may eventually have blackouts if supply runs low and they don't stop the cyberattack. Take this as a warning to be prepared. Cyberattacks are going after critical infrastructure now. It's a good time to update your preps and make sure you're good in all areas. We never know what will happen next.
    Hi,

How about a link to a reliable/reputable source for this type of "holy sh*t !" info please ?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup66 View Post
    Hi,

How about a link to a reliable/reputable source for this type of "holy sh*t !" info please ?

Thanks.

Cheers.
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/c...attack-closure

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colonia...lt-operations/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-line-n1266737
    Last edited by Hooked on Fenix; 05-08-2021 at 01:29 PM.

I'm gonna make a suggestion that this be a separate thread if it continues. My opinion is that mentioning it is appropriate in this one insofar as it pertains to keeping fuel on hand to last X days.

Thanks.

And back on topic... I've got a honda EB2800i coming in. It's for a family member, but I am running it in, changing initial oil, and doing some load tests. Due to backorders it should arrive around the 17th at the orange toy store.

Turbodog- Agreed on the pipeline topic, and great choice on the EB2800i. I'd love to hear your thoughts after running it through it's paces. 👍🏻
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Turbodog- Agreed on the pipeline topic, and great choice on the EB2800i. I'd love to hear your thoughts after running it through it's paces. 👍🏻
    It arrived early. I've put about 90 mins on it so far.

Short version: Nice unit, especially considering the $1150 price from home depot. If you own just one portable, 110v, inverter, luggable unit then this (or yamaha ef2800) would be it. Now, inverter-based units aren't rocket science so a no-name would probably work fine _today_. If you want service parts (and a certified svc tech) in 10 years then stay with name brands.

Pretty quiet on low/med loads. No noise reduction at high loads. Noise reduction is from inverter's low rpm. Like any open frame unit, there's no noise shielding.

The throttle response to new loads is LIGHTNING quick. Fastest I've ever seen on ANY genset.

Tank could use a fuel gauge like yamaha's unit has. Also, fuel tank has emission vent so do NOT overfill or it will run into vent canister.

4 rubber feet come standard which the Yamaha unit does NOT have. Yamaha will walk all over the place at certain rpms.

Fuel valve is nice. Only has one position for off/on. Yamaha valve has 3 positions... so you sort of have to guess which ones are which.

Has 2 duplex plugs for total of 4 cords usable. Both are GFCI and come with a fitted rubber cover... a nice touch.

It does NOT have 12v battery charging NOR parallel ability. Sort of a moot point on a 2800w unit.

I noticed the engine's cylinder cooling fins were quite short, disturbingly short I thought. Then I began to notice the rest of the engine's case. It's a masterpiece of fins/cooling. There are fins all over the place, and the entire BOTTOM of the crankcase is covered in them, and forced air is directed across them. It seems clear they are cooling the oil and letting the oil do the bulk of the cooling. The cylinder fins are cooler than the crankcase 60 seconds after engine shutdown.

For full load test I ran a space heater and hair dryer on high for about 30 mins. It was pretty much wide open, but did not complain.

I tried to start a large 16 amp quincy air compressor... the kind that throws 20a breakers on dedicated circuits... would not start it. It tried, but no luck.

Honda's claim to fame is their inclined cylinder (60 degrees maybe). I was surprised to see a 90 degree straight up cylinder. Design looks excellent though.
    Last edited by turbodog; 05-12-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Turbodog- Nice overview! The GCV engine (horizontal crank) used in the 2800's is in the same family as used on Honda's mowers, pumps, pressurewashers, etc. (Vertical crank) It's a workhorse and there's millions out there so as you said parts and service won't be an issue.

A big advantage over the clamshell or suitcase inverter gensets is accessability to work on things if you need to: I replaced the pull cord on my eu2000i this spring, and boy was it a deep dive. They're so tightly packaged! I figured I'd rather R&R the recoil starter on a sunny day at my leisure rather than have the fraying cord let go in the dark while it was snowing or raining.

Four outlets are nice to have, keep us posted on how it does!

*Side note*- Finally made a cord to go from my 2000i to the side of my house yesterday... (L14 30 amp twistlock) No more extention cords off the "little" generator, it now can backfeed my panel to code like the big generator when needed.
    Last edited by scout24; 05-13-2021 at 05:02 AM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728 LastLast