Looking for 2*18650 light for bike

poguy

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for something with 2 (or even 3) 18650's to get a decent runtime. The light will go on a bicycle and length/weight won't be too much of a problem. Any suggestions in the under $30 range, or things to avoid?

How about if we go up to $50? Anything really great? There are plenty of 1*18650 lights, but some of them have runtimes way under an hour and that leaves me in the dark.

Thanks!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about 2 1 18650 lights on a medium mode? That should give you the same amount of runtime as a 2 18650 light, but in a more "bike friendly size." You can also light a wider area.
You should look at the L-mini II from Shiningbeam.com, although 2 of them will cost you about $80. However, it has 3 modes (the middle draws about 500Ma if I remember correctly, and the high is 1 amp) and switches to low mode automatically when the battery is almost empty. It is also among the smallest 18650 lights available.
Apparently they are out of stock right now, but hopefully they should be back soon...

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about changing the batteries? I'm totally serious, I change batteries all the time.
Size starts becoming an issue when two 18xxx cells are used.

TurboFerret holder may be best option for your level.

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX sells a nice rechargeable P7 bike light kit... I think it is better to have the battey mounted elsewhere, the flashlight will be less likely to fall off due to weight.

If I had a bike, I would have got 3 of these already. 4xli-ion 18650 batteries and wall charger is about $30 to start with.

You should spend a little more than $50 for a bike light IMO, I doubt a cheap one could handle all the shaking and shocking of a constant riding...

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
solarforce L2 + 3 batteries will get you home.

or

EagleTac T10L

id set 2 levels of brightness, 1 at 55% just for cruising, and 1 at 100% when you need it.

used like this id bet youd get 3 or 4 hours use out of 1 battery.

Last edited:

Prat

Newly Enlightened
...and that leaves me in the dark.

I always cycle in the dark, have for years. :shrug:

But I am thinking of getting some lights finally, er, well my gf is thinking of me getting some, so I am. :D

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
1*18650 should give 2+ hours of full power, more than 1A isnt recommended.
2*18650 gets too big and heavy to be really good, imho. There will be some stop somewhen between 1.5 and 2 hours, so just change the cell then.

L-mini II is a nice entry level light, the Jetbeam Jet IIIs (Pro Ultra) offer the opportunity of programming the levels as powerful as You wish. Also are very rugged. My Favorite maker.
+ all the other 18650 lights available to choose from (Fenix, Olight, ...).

I am using ONE of these and am completely satisfied (usually being the rider knowing the terrain the best, so can compensate for "less light"). When heavy terrain, I straß a headlamp over my helmet.
Funny thing: for usual I am the one with the brightest light after 1.5 hours, when the other lights start to die.
Then I hand out all the other 1*18650 and 2*AA led lights I brought to whoever needs light ;)

my bar clamp has been posted already.
easy and cheap to build, working astoundingly good:
ayv2m3ij914er12tm.jpg

poguy

Newly Enlightened
We have a recumbent tandem. The main tube is horizontal and it sticks out so length is not an issue, and we're heavy people,too. Mounting a standard flashlight on that tube is easy, too. I thought about the 1-cell lights and there are a lot of them. But run time is too low and changing batteries during a ride is a hassle, especially on a road shoulder.

Some of the suggested lights use CR123's and those are lower capacity.

How about the Hugsby C28, $24 from KD? Or for more, they have a 3*Cree Q2. The problem is that they are very sparse on actual specs. There are other Q2/Q5 and R2 lights in the same price range.

My current light is a DX 4-18 volt R2 module in a homemade enclosure run from a 12 volt gel cell. Light output is good, but I want something easy to take off, and the long wire to the battery is annoying.

What's more, my 12 volt gel cells are slowly going downhill. The date codes are 1999 or older, so I can't complain too much. But a set of Li cells will weigh much less. A 4 cell 18650 holder would be good, and I can use my Maha C777 charger on it.

Anyway, an 18650 flashlight would be good for walking the dog at night (I use 12 volt cell for that, too) so it gets double duty.

And thanks for all the great replies and ideas.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
id avoid an 'economy' ($35) light on a bike, the vibration will kill it in no time.

buy a quality ($80+) light and it might last forever.

sassafrass

Newly Enlightened
I mount 3 lights when I go out riding my recumbent , 1 on my helmet for aiming 1 on the handlebars for flood and a blackburn for emergency backup .Used separately I have over 4 hours of runtime . I agree with others , going cheap with your bike light is asking for failure with a product that could save your skin (meant literally) My helmet light is a Eagletac 10pa2 bought for work , they supplied the batteries. Now I use a Maratac AAA at work . I am buying on Friday an Amoeba custom made light 520 lumens with a 3 hour runtime . It only weighs 159 grams that is 5.6 ounces and comes highly recomended . You might want to inquire on the transportation (bike light) forum for a more informed answer.
Best regards , Lee