Arc-LS Knurling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Am I the only one who likes it? It seems I frequently see comments about people not likeing it but I much prefer it to the knurling on any of my other aluminum lights. (Mag 4D, Mag AA, Surefire Z3, 2 CMG Infinities, Infinity Ultra, 2 Arc aaa, CMG Reactor) IMHO it provides superior grip while not being as rough, my fingers just slide right over most knurling for some reason. It just irks me every time I see someone say it's no good. It's the perfect knurling for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you are not the only one. I find it to be grippy without being abrasive. I have no problem turning it or slipping even with wet hands. I think the machinists cut the knurling and then turn the sharpness off of it purposely. I like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, we shave the tops of the knurl purposely in a second pass. This light is designed with EDC use in mind so we want it to be comfortable to carry and use. Rough knurling would tend to tear things up in your pocket even more. I was shooting for a good mix of grip/smoothness. Not saying I found the perfect mix, but it works for my EDC.

Peter

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used to carry my arc LS in a separate pocket, but now it goes in the same pocket as my handphone because it doesn't scratch up my phone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I think the knurling on the Arc LS is fine as it is. For those who wish for a more "grippy" surface, you can always get some skid tape by 3M (for stairs) at your local hardware store, trim it down to size and tape it around the bezel.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm in the minority here. As much as I love the Arc LS, I would prefer more aggressive knurling. Perhaps my palms are just more slippery? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_W said:
I guess I'm in the minority here. As much as I love the Arc LS, I would prefer more aggressive knurling. Perhaps my palms are just more slippery? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'd prefer a more agressive knurling as well. My LSH-P rides on my belt in the ARC pouch, so tearin up the pockets is not a concern for me.

GreenArcher

Newly Enlightened
The knurling on my Arc LSH-P head seems too smooth for me. It is too smooth that I almost do not feel it at all. I would say this knurling doesn't do anything for me.

The tail though is just perfect. The tail's knurling is a tiny bit wider apart and deeper than the head. Still a lot less aggressive than my Arc CPF though.

gyverpete

Enlightened
I like the LS knurling. There isn't the need for it to be more aggressive in a light of this size, provided that the O-ring is not overly tight and well lubed. I can turn on my LS one-handed very easily.

Off topic, but...
The AAA's knurling on the battery tube is very grippy, which is necessary for a smaller light, but unfortunately the head has a larger and more slippery knurl. Doesn't seem right. Only the turquoise AAA head has the same aggressive knurling as on the tube. Anyone else noticed and been bothered by it?

Tomas

Banned
Hmmmmmmm, gyverpete, the knurling on the heads and bodies of both my AAAs are identical (early 3.1 versions).

Of course, my EDC has nearly worn itself smooth - it's almost like the LS knurling but much finer. Instead of the very abrasive feel it now feels almost "soft" but is just as gripable (and will, indeed, sill work fine as an emergency nail file ... )

tomsig03.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened
Tomas, when you say "early 3.1", do you mean pre-french instructions.? If so, maybe that accounts for the difference between yours and mine.

Sorry everyone. I'm going to sound a little nerdy here.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I have Five ver. 3.1, "french instructions" white LED AAAs. Two are natural and three are black, from three seperate dealers over a span of about 6 months. They all have finer "grained" knurling on the body than on the head. Also, the head knurling seems to have been "shaved" as Peter does for the LS. The difference is small but it can readily be felt and seen. I observed these differences with my fingers and eyes only, at first, and then under a 5X loupe, under which I made these measurements:

Head-6 staggered diamond-shape knurls per 5/32" lengthwise
Body-7 staggered diamond-shape knurls per 5/32" lengthwise

However, the AAA turquoise that I have, which I assume was never made in a 3.1 version, has consistent fine knurling throughout. It's the same grain size as the body on the white LED ones. The difference between the Turq. and White is easily seen and felt. Turquoise head is easier to twist.

Has anyone else noticed these differences in their AAAs?
Peter, is this intentional, and if so, why?
Should a new thread be started to avoid detracting from LS-specific knurling discussion?

Tomas

Banned
No, gyverpete, my "early 3.1" lights were some of the first black that spoke French. Maybe that's not real, real, early, but they aren't all that recent, at least. Long before clips, at least.

Both the white and the UV appear to have the same fineness on the head and body. Now that you brought up the small difference, I measured both and looked at the top texture of the knurling. The head and body on both lights have exactly the same spacing of knurling, which I measure as 7 per 5/32" lengthwise.

The shape of the individual "lands" of the knurls is flat (like the Arc LS) except for the UV which has a bit more 'toothyness' to the lands as they are not flat and smooth. The flatness of the lands on the white is at least partly due to wear, but not entirely - even in those areas that are still black the lands are flat.

I suspect that the differences in your lights may represent different source shops for the parts, but I really don't know.

BTW: If we didn't occasionally sound nerdy we would not belong here ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomsig03.gif

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the first run ARC AAA LE and love the knurling! I wish my ARC LS had the same knurling as the LE. I think the LE was designed for pocket carry on a key ring and the LS for clipping on a belt loop, so the knurling could be more aggressive. Seems backwards... the LS has what I think is more "decorative knurling" and not as functional tool wise, as the LE.

gyverpete

Enlightened
Tomas, thanks for responding. So apparently, the knurling pitch had been changed at some point. Just be glad you got the knurlier ones. BTW, two of my black AAAs were pre-clip.
The smoother knurling on the head doesn't bother me too much since I "fine tuned" the O-ring to make it easy to turn on one-handed. But brand new, even with lube, they were very tight and the smooth knurling didn't help. The turquoise ones, even when new and tight, were easier to turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.