LX2 wobbly tailcap

ishmael

Newly Enlightened
I was playing with my light and noticed that the tail cap can be wiggled on the threads in all but the fully tightened/fully on position. It is not a huge movement but it can be felt and seen. I checked my other SFs and they do not budge. Is this "normal" with the LX2?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine slightly 'wiggles'
It's just the play in the threads.

Maybe put more lube on to create less space in between the threads.
Or to make it 'tighter'.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You could hunt up a slightly thicker O-ring. It would make it a little harder to twist but the wobble would be gone.

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
I haven't done this yet but i have been thinking of contacting surefire about this. It defiinately doesn't seem right nor does it feel right. I think they have a problem here. I wonder if they will acknowledge there is a problem. There are a lot of people out there that are much more picky about there lights than I am. I'm surprised no one else has done this yet.

Numbers

Enlightened
I had the same wobbly problem on my L1. SF sent me a new tail switch - no change, it is still wobbly.
My new LX2 also has a wobbly tail switch to so now I figure it is normal.
Although it is noticible, and SF should probably improve the fit, I have gotten over it and live with it, operation of either light is not affected so it's not really a problem for me.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcap on my LX2 is loose enough for easy operation and doesn't seem to have too much play. However, if I'm not very careful, the o-ring will roll out of the groove and bind in the threads when doing a battery change. I try to remember to replace batteries by unscrewing the head.

pulstar

Enlightened
Mine wobbles a bit too. Evenmore, i can also turn the light on its "low" setting just by pushing ONLY the tailcap down to the body, while it's about half to one turn away from permanent "low". It's a bit odd when you push the switch and tailcap moves also. I've already sent an email to surefire, got reply that they'll send me a new tailcap so i'll wait for a while.
Actually there are a few posts in lx2 thread about the same issue: Someone tried to apply a teflon tape on threads: so did i and i noticed a bit of improvement(i applied only a few layers of tape because this was the only left in our garage:crackup:), so this should work. Just be careful not to put it on very end of battery tube. It will insulate it.

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
Same thing that pulsar said, my LX2's tailcap can also be pushed down without pressing the button and it will turn on 'low' only if the tailcap is twisted far enough nearing a 'permanent low' twist though. I believe this is normal to have a very slight nudge and the light will turn on, for example when paired with a handgun, easy operation is normal.

Last edited:

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
Mine does that too. It will be interesting to hear from pulstar once once the new tail cap arrives ...

knightrider

Enlightened
I've never heard about this with the L1/L2 switch. That part about the o-ring is most unsettling. I think all twisties have some play side to side, but the light shouldn't be wrecking it's own o-ring, that's not the SF quality and testing I expected. Hopefully your light is an exception, or they need to work some bugs out with the new LX2s switch.

computernut

Enlightened
The tailcap on one of my A2's would activate low with just a little turn of the cap. It would also turn on if you pushed the cap or wiggled it a bit. My other A2 and my L1 didn't exhibit this behavior. I moved the offending z62 to my other lights and the problem followed the cap. The cap also seemed to rattle a bit more if you shook it and you could feel the button move side-to-side more than my other z62's. I called Surefire and they sent me a new one, problem solved.

Vesper

Enlightened
You could hunt up a slightly thicker O-ring. It would make it a little harder to twist but the wobble would be gone.

This does work. My LX2 came with a broken o-ring. I put in a very slightly thicker one (it's the closest I had) and lubed it good. It's now a pretty nice tight fit.

pulstar

Enlightened
Thicker oring, that should be a nice solution too... I'll try that to, since my cousin's wife owns a company that sells o-rings and other sealants.

pulstar

Enlightened
Just one thing guys, is there a chance of dammaging threads on surefire light, if i apply too much of teflon tape on it?

jylong_away

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

Just got my LX2 in the mail today, and noticed the same thing with the tailcap.

Has anyone here gotten a tailcap replacement from SF which has solved the problem?

Have also noticed that the 'innards' on my tailcap switch are *very* loose. You can easily 'jiggle' the switch parts inside by moving the spring.