I want to be visable 360deg

outer limits

Newly Enlightened
I have a light on a kayak that has a helogen bulb. It is used not to see by, but to be seen. I want to replace the bulb with a LED but need something to reflect the light outwards. :thinking: Has anyone got any ideas?

1 what

Enlightened
+ 1 for Glo Toob.
Water proof and most importantly with enough choices re flash sequences that you'll be able to select one that will stand out.
The Glo Toob lithium can also run on RCR 123's so you can recharge them an virtually no cost. I like red for beacons but you can select from a range of colours.

ifpo238

Newly Enlightened
I think most states have laws requiring that "all-around" boating lights be visible from some minimum distance.

You'll want to make sure whatever you use meets those codes. Brighter is better.

-j

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a small 4AA lantern made by Coleman and available at Walmart that uses a Cree LED pointing up toward a metallized cone to reflect the light in a 360˚ horizontal band.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I think most states have laws requiring that "all-around" boating lights be visible from some minimum distance.

You'll want to make sure whatever you use meets those codes. Brighter is better.

-j
Agree - check boating codes. While the GloToob has some fancy strobing modes that are real attention-getters, they might not be up to whatever code you need to comply with.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
An optic such as this with a high power LED will provide 360 degree coverage:

a_65x.jpg

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
just put a high powered LED on all four sides of your boat, an sst-90 outta do, that way you can have 2250 lumens out of every side, you will be visible from the space station...also other boats may think you are a lighthouse and will steer very clear of you

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
That looks like an optic I'd like to play with!

Anyway, 360deg eh', for 2 miles? Glow toob is out then.
Ping-pong balls.
Get a quick detach mount to affix to your boat and make a boat head for just about any smaller diameter light. Cut a nice hole in the ball and silicone it to the head. Just put it inside enough so the silicone can do it's job. You will get a nice all around glow for sure.
This can also be done with a stack of those small clear plastic medicine cups. Silicone those together and attach them to the top of the bezel.
White plastic film canister with a small round mirror glued into the bottom would be excellent. Light would bounce from reflector to mirror and back and the only way out is the white plastic sides. Dang! I need to go find a small round mirror. Maybe an old CD?

:)

Last edited: