Did I damage my Malkoff M60L ???

robotoid

Newly Enlightened
The M60L is rated at 140 lumens, so it should be markedly brighter than the stock SF P60L (80 lumens), and I remember it was when I first got it. The Malkoff has only had maybe a few hours actual use. I tried a multi-level tailcap suggested in another thread here on my SF 6P with the M60L Malkoff drop in. It didn't work, the light flickered, flashed/blinked rapidly. I gave up on it and put them all away. Now, I notice that my M60L light is operating, but at a much less bright level, noticeably less than the stock P60L. I have tried different/fresh batteries, and even swapped the drop in to another host. It still works, just not as bright as it should be. Did I damage the innerds of the Malkoff drop in with this tailcap switch??

robotoid

Newly Enlightened
Batteries were either a SF B65 rechargeable or 2 CR123's, I think I tried both combos attempting to get the switch to work. The switch was a Lightmiser 5 function. It seems strange to me that the light still works but at seemingly diminished capacity. I would think if it were damaged it would be an all or nothing proposition, but my knowledge of the inner working of electronics is limited to say the least.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The B65 battery pack is made up of four low capacity 2/3A rechargeable cells. The M60L may not function at full output with the B65, which may not be working a full capacity even when fully charged. I have some B65 packs, and the charger. Have you tried some fresh CR123 cells?

Bill

robotoid

Newly Enlightened
The B65 battery pack is made up of four low capacity 2/3A rechargeable cells. The M60L may not function at full output with the B65, which may not be working a full capacity even when fully charged. I have some B65 packs, and the charger. Have you tried some fresh CR123 cells?

Bill

Yes, I took the extender off and tried 2 brand new SF brand CR123's and it is the same/near same too low output.

robotoid

Newly Enlightened
Kudos again to Malkoff Devices, they exchanged my M60L with no questions asked, a year after I bought it and probably fried it myself monkeying with that stupid tailcap switch. Unbelievable customer service.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately, I use my M60 on nothing but the B65. It works pretty well for me, even if it's not quiiiiite as bright as on two li-ion cells. Runtime is great(ish), regulation is great, and I don't think that's a problem.

yuk

Newly Enlightened
Gene is da man! :twothumbs
+1000

He send me a replacement right after I emailed him that my M60L's beam was not good. No questions asked, no returns, he was even so kind to send me an M60 instead of a an M60L!

Great products, great service, what else can you ask for? :twothumbs