How to condition a drum skin

TOB9595

Enlightened
I have a great drum from Haiti. How does one condition the skin?
The skin is hard and dry.
Not being a musician or even sharp, I need illumination on this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Does the skin even need to be treated?
I have in my head that it should be supple.
The drum stands ~ 4 feet tall and is ~ 20 inches. Maybe less I'm goin from memory.
It is real skin of some sort.
Thanks
Tom

TOB9595

Enlightened
Are there no drummers out there.
Yes I did a google search. I found that I should use mink oil. AND I found to never use oil.
This was on two different hits tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will ask a friend about this, he has been playing for years. I'll get back to you when I get back from work.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am no expert with backline, but we do own several congas. I'll have to ask the more experienced players this question. I'll post here with any news.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I have several drums myself and need to pay attention to this thread! I'll call a music store also and see what they say.

We like to have a "little drum circle" now and then, made a nice shaker out of pvc, BBs, and pvc end caps. Bought some goat's hooves at an outdoor market - strung together on a decorative band...adds a subtle rattle sound to the mix...lots of fun, and merely a sense of rhythym needed, as long as everyone stays "mellow" and doesn't try to take the floor all at once, it sounds pretty good!

I'll throw in a little "Native American Flute" occasionally. I'm currently dabbling with a "penny whistle" and should get on Whistler's site for some tips!

TOB9595

Enlightened
So, Did anyone get a chance to get info?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

TOB9595

Enlightened
These are great links.
Thanks
BUT....
TedtheLed interesting that the two links seem to have contrary info. If I read it correct. Probably not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
allonetribe says neatsfoot oil
algorythm says no oil.
Story to be continued. I'll email these folk and see what they say for my application. Real skin.
I'll also contact Jalapeno.
Thanks again, I'll post what info I get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Regards
Tom

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I called a fellow up here in Alaska where I bought my drums...he said on the synthetic heads, it shouldn't be a problem. They aren't like an animal skin that would be drying/decomposing, however he "didn't think a little oil would hurt". He said he's heard that some people use a little baby oil, but couldn't verify it. I don't think I like the sound of that for some reason.

On the natural head, he said he has some oil coming in, and that he (once again) didn't think neatsfoot oil would be bad for it..

Bottom line, he said if you play your drum a lot (as in everyday) the oil from your hands (applicable only if it's the type of drum that's played with your hands - duh!) would be just fine, but yes if it sits in the heat or closet for weeks on end, one "should" probably do something.

Well...sorry, these answers didn't impress me either! He either wasn't the "drum" man at the store, or it may not actually be an issue? Now that the question has been asked, I have to know an answer...back to the internet I guess!

TOB9595

Enlightened
Hi Sigman, It is amazing that essentially there are always two answers.
USE OIL
NEVER USE OIL
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Baby lotion is a new one tho.
I'll post when I do get something, also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My drum is played infrequently really a neat piece to not match my other neat eclectic pieces.
Martha Stewart is rolling over in her cot by now.
OH that's right not yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Not "Baby lotion".."Baby Oil"...BUT I DON'T THINK THAT SOUNDS RIGHT! I could see neatsfoot oil on a real skin, (very, very, small amount seems to make sense), but I'm not going to do anything until we hopefully get a real answer.

I just found a drum specific shop here...but they were closed. They have a weekly drum circle...only sell drums and the guy's a pro. Hopefully I'll hear something from him on Monday. I would believe this guy!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

you could experiment -- how much does a new drumskin cost?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I think they're about $30-40 here...I don't want to "experiment" on my drums...you have any?

You ever see "Butt Bongo" on the Howard Stern Show? That baby oil would work there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened
Remember the drumskin is not necessarily the drum set that Ringo played. I have 2 that are animal skin (real hide)
Yeah I meant Baby OIL.
I'm thinking of using the same stuff I use on my Limmer hiking boots.
Combination of Mink oil and other stuff. Not liquid more of a paste or grease....BUT... This is good for boots. Maybe not for skin. I don't need water repellancy.
Maybe I don't need anything.....BUT i do think it should be treated with something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Today a trip to the music store.
Tom
Whatta ya mean, Ringo who?