Some Novatac Questions before I order one

Krotchitty

Newly Enlightened
:thinking:

I need some clarification on which particular model to order.

I'd like to tailstand, but I really like the feel of the tactical switch. If the flat (supposedly) switch feels the same and can tailstand great. If the flat switch feels different (drastically) than the tactical, I'm less interested, but can maybe get over it IF it tailstands.

I'd like four modes (in this order)

OFF - > 120 - > 60 - > 25 -> 0.8 (approximate lumens)

I'd like to access disorienting strobe from off quickly, and from any level with just a press and hold. (just like the T)

I'd like to be able to access max with a press and hold, and turn off when released. (just like the T)

I'd like the pewter color and I want the US made version with an SSC emitter.

So, basically I'd like the tactical model, with an extra mode.

Does this model exist and if so, is there a preferred switch...?

Also are there any dealers with cpf discount?

Thanks in advance for your input (shed some light on this for me please)

:twothumbs​

I also like the Ra series and am considering these, however the size of them is potentially an issue for me.

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you should get the T, order the flat switch from lighthound and activate the Easter Egg to give you the P program, hoever you will only get 4 modes, not 5.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If you like this style of light you should really take a look at HDS lights.They are put together much better and are a better light.IMO

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't recommend getting a T or E model and then cracking it. I killed a switch trying it out and found it very frustrating. I would definitely get the P version and set it up the way I wanted it.

I would give super strong consideration however to buying the Ra. Even the lower end version is superior, in my opinion, to the Novatac. The Ra's use more efficient regulation, have additional, superior features such as physical battery protection, rubber encased glass window, potted electronics to stop damage IF water gets inside and better (again in my opinion) reflectors which make for a better all around beam.

Regarding the beam, I prefer the Ra over the Novatac because the Ra gives a brighter hotspot than the Novatac while retaining an excellent transition from spot to flood.

The Ra is a bit longer, but not that much longer.

Krotchitty

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks...

Which Ra will do what I want (4 modes, strobe accessible from any mode, etc.)

And which tail is better for my stated concerns?

Keeping in mind also my preference for smaller size as well (no twisty) is the form factor that much bigger?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Ra that you get can be configured to your liking with any of the 4 levels configurable to any of the settings... the different versions just come pre-configured with certain settings.

If you want tactical strobe, you can assign it to the click-press level and then it will be available at any time by pressing and holding the button down. To do this, you would need to choose 3 other brightness levels but this is the same with both the Ra and the Novatac.

Also, the 170 lumen versions of the Ra do over an hour at 120 lumens while the Novatacs do 30 minutes... You would need the 170 to get the 120 lumen level.

The current crop of Ra's with the "flat" tailcaps can tailstand but kind of like the Leaning Tower of Pisa... and with a little wobble so if you are leaning toward the tactical, raised tailcap, then I would recommend going after that one.

I re-read your original post and want to clarify that there are no lights that offer the combination of momentary high and instant access to strobe that you are looking for. I would love that interface though and think it is a neat idea.

Krotchitty

Newly Enlightened
Get the 170 lumen version at the following link:

http://www.ralights.com/?id=ClickyTactical

Take care.

thanks for the link, boy am I confused now....So many models, and I don't want to spend $200 for a flashlight.

I won't do the nOOb thing and ask about the real differences based on price, I shall search search search, and THEN do the nOOb thing. (because no search ever turns up all the answers)...

ok maybe just one or two more questions; :sssh:

Do I understand the burst function to be universal among the Ra line?

What does the 140 and 120 step down to?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 140 lumen burst steps down to 100 lumens and the 170 lumen burst steps down to 140 lumens. You can see the step down on a white wall but I found the step down from 140 to 100 not very noticeable in use. The Ra Clickies are a bit on the larger size. They are 3.85 inches long which fit my hand perfectly though. I found with the Novatac, my pinky finger ended up going past the bezel or if I kept the bezel flush with my pinky then my thumb had to go further into my fist. I don't know if the extra 30 lumens is worth the extra $40 dollars. To some it is and to some it isn't. Don't look at it as $200.00 for a flashlight. Think of it as $200 for a reliable tool that doubles as a toy.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LiteFlux LF3XT is worth looking into. Tailstands- Programmable- once on you can access Max by press and hold and you can access Strobe by click and press- both turn off when released. Seems like everything you asked for.
The beam quality is excellent also. I own several Novatacs ( great lights) and had a RA. Have fun deciding!

Gatsby

Enlightened
Just to clarify - the Liteflux LF3XT in full user interface mode offers up to 5 levels (all programmable for brightness, beacon or strobe) and from any level offers momentary max with a press and hold and random strobe with a click - press hold. If you are dead set on 4 brightness levels, max and strobe I believe this is the only light that can do it. The 4 brighness levels can be set in order and either it returns to step one when off or remembers the last level.

Having said that - the Novatac (and Ra lights by extension) can be configured with 3 brightness levels and access to strobe with a press hold - but not both strobe and instant access. I love my Novatac 120P and still consider it the best EDC UI available - I like quality of the Ra lights and the additional innovations it has as the 4th generation of that UI (starting with the Arc4, HDS, Novatac and now Ra) but do find the look and size offputting since I think the one flaw of the HDS/Novatac lights is that they are quite large for a 1xCR123 based light (understanding the tradeoff of mass, heat, etc...).

The biggest difference to me is that the Novatac/Ra lights use a "toggle" basic interface and the LF3XT uses a sequential (with or without memory) basic interface. I like that I can toggle betweeen primary and max or primary and low and primary and secondary without having to go through intermediate steps. The LF3XT compact interface does this with three levels (similar to the EX10) which is useful but the levels only are programmable.

The LF3XT is a nicely made light, tailstands, and has a nice floody beam (moreso than the Novatac) but the switch is less tactile and smaller than the Novatac, and overall the build quality is not quite as high. The weak spot in the LF3XT is the bezel - this was a weak point on the HDS and Arc4 as well - the Novatac and Ra lights come with stainless bezel rings and the Novatac has some after market options as well in ti and stainless. The LF3XT has a fixed bezel...

Either would make a great light - the Novatac does have a bit more of a track record and additional after market parts (clips, lanyard rings, bezels, extra switches including tactical and flat, lenses, etc...).