Heat problem normal ?

videoman

Enlightened
I just put together 2 MCe's in a solid aluminum enclosure and powered by an external 8.4 VDC power source. The leds are driven by a Shark Buck 3A and the led dies are parallel configured and both leds are wired in series. I measured the amperage through the leds and reads 2.65 amps ( measured at driver output to leds) After about 20 minutes the enclosure is very hot but the leds are always giving out even full output. The leds are neutral white KE5 bins (370 lm). Is it normal that they put out that much heat and should I be concerned and perhaps put a fan in the enclosure?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah it's normal for the led's to get hot. My direct drive MC-E P60 module pulls close to 4 amps and will get too hot to hold within 5 minutes. It's only used as a wow light for the most part since it's far too bright to be useful. But a fan wouldn't hurt but a fain in a box doesn't do much good, ventilation would probably work better.

videoman

Enlightened
I solved my heat problem, quite simple. The amperage was at around 2.65 amps but when I dimmed it very slightly and with very little loss of light output, I measured 1.52 amps and the heat was just warm to the touch. I cannot believe that almost an amp less of current would not dim that much .At this setting, my battery lasted almost twice as long.