popping the rivet off an E1 head

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an E1 teardrop bezel with the riveted clip. It works great on the McLux tail, but I think I'd rather use the McLux clip than the E1 clip. Is there an easy way to pop this rivet off? Is this reversible? I'm not sure how ugly it's going to be without the clip.

LightChucker

Enlightened
Have you considered drilling the rivet out?
That's what I usually have to do to remove a rivet. Be sure to use a drill press or it might slip.

After drilling it out, you could tap the holes and fill them with small machine screws - maybe a brass screw for contrast. Use a screw that has an allen wrench hole or phillips rather than a flat head. The allen head screws are usually flat black and might look good as-is.

Another idea is to use a brass or stainless steel pin that fits in the hole. Make the pins a little long so that they will stand proud of the surface. Then round off and polish the pins with a buffer and polishing rouge. This could really look cool! If the drill holes are just right, you can press-fit the pins. If the holes are slightly too big, you could use Loctite or epoxy to hold them in.

Chuck

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mind you I haven't done it yet (and it's gettin' way too late here), but I thought you could use a hex screw to remove the clip from the E1 head...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ....

Hmm... Need some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif .....

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was a spiral splined type of rivet. The kind that "screws" in when pressed in. Like some kinds of masonry nails. I grabbed the head with Vise-Grips and pulled until I could tell it was spiralled and then twisted it back and forth until it unscrewed. Now knowing that I would take a slotting wheel on a Dremel and put a screw driver slot in the head of the rivet and unscrew it with a driver. The clip makes a nice lever to coax the rivet out too.

I then used a peice of brass to fill in the slot and hold it with a 6-32 button head. I was able to tap the hole. I thought I might put the clip back on but have decided that I like the E1 clipless. I would epoxy the plate in if I did it over again. Otherwise there is a sharp edged slot on the head.