Terrible Motorcycle Wreck On My Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot

Flashaholic
***Warning, please do not read if severe medical emergencies make you feel uneasy***

Saturday morning I stepped out in my backyard to take a few pictures when in the distance from the south I heard the familiar sound of a large displacement street bike. It was coming closer but as it approached I heard the back wheel spinning up. Given that it was still traveling rather quickly I was surprised at the sound I was hearing because the back wheel shouldn't be spinning unless the street was wet or something which would of course take some decent skill. I can just barely see the tops of passing cars from the backyard and saw a flash of motorcycle rider blast by about 2-3 seconds of hearing the spinning wheel. Being a bit of a motor head and race fan I couldn't help but notice how great is sounded but ultimately I was slightly annoyed that he was riding at mach on our 30mph street. I'd guess his speed was around 65 when he passed and he was accelerating. About 2-3 seconds later I heard the distinctive sound of an impact! I ran through the house with a straight shot grabbing my keys and cell phone from the coffee table. My truck was already in the driveway and I quickly jumped in and headed up the street.

There was still dust in the air as I approached and I saw the rider face down but his body was sort of on its side…no helmet. 911 connected about that time and I gave them my cross street and asked for an ambulance. Just then another car approached as I went to take a look at the guy on the ground. I finished with the 911 operators and went to put my ear to the victim's back but I couldn't hear him breathing. The rider had hit a steel streetlight that looked to be about 5x5" square. I don't know exact size but the impact was great enough that it displaced the square post about 6-8 inches about 2 feet up the pole. The rider was about 25 yards from the bike and debris and motorcycle parts were scattered everywhere fanning out about 35 yards from the bike where it stopped near the pole. Midway in between the bike and rider was the riders left leg which as been torn off. It was a terribly gruesome accident scene and I was struggling a bit to stay cool. I honestly thought the man was dead because of all the blood along with the fact that I didn't hear him breathing. By that time there must have been 20 bystanders moving to the scene along with children. I realized that this might be treated as a crime scene so I had people get back away from the bike and asked the teenagers to make sure no little kids approached this mess. It was traumatizing even to some of the teenagers.

The fire department arrived within 4-5 minutes of my 911 call and the ambulance about 2 minutes after that, then a police woman showed up next by herself and I knew she'd have her hands full. I pointed out the two eyewitnesses for her and then she asked me to go to the other side of the street and move everyone back. The paramedics did put an oxygen mask on the victim's face, which was encouraging. They also asked for a large cooler with as much ice as they could round up, which one of the close by neighbors supplied. I don't have to tell anyone what that was for….right? Yes, the leg actually fit inside.

One brave little boy about 11-12 years old was holding the plasma bag for the paramedics right over the downed rider. They called in an air ambulance and the fire department was clearing the landing zone of people. Since they were still short of police I asked if they wanted me to clear the opposite side of the block and the guy say "please!" The same guy later thanked me for helping which was nice. I walked back down toward my house clearing people as more police and fire department showed up. I only had my camera phone on me but I knew the whole two blocks were going to be a big accident or crime scene so I started taking pictures of anything that looked crucial. I found the riders glasses for example and the path that he took over the sidewalk and through the dirt. The guy was spinning the wheel in the dirt just off the sidewalk at 60+ mph and plowing through bushes. Because of this I don't think he was in his right mind. My guess is that he stole the bike, was on drugs or was exceedingly angry for some reason. I'd guess his age between 20-25. After I took about 20 pictures, I headed back toward the accident and waited on a side street to stay out of the way. The helicopter pilot passed overhead and then did a descending 360 degree left turn before coming in pretty fast! This surprised me because there were good-sized trees on either side of him and a 25-foot tall light poll just to his left that he passed by right before touching down. It was impressive to see him plop that thing down on a small residential street with no hesitation.

After about 5 minutes they had the victim in the helicopter and it left as quickly as it came in. I stayed and talked to police and showed them the rider's glasses and path through the bushes. They close the entire street for about 3 blocks and had a web of yellow tape strewn everywhere. It took them a couple of hours to do their thing and then it was mostly quiet again except for lots of resident and traumatized kids standing around talking. One little girl was crying because she happened to see the mess there before we could herd people back. I called the police department the following day because I wanted to see if the guy lived or not. They couldn't give me much info but did tell me it wasn't marked as a fatality, which I was very relieved to hear. I'm doubtful that there was any way to save that leg because it wasn't a clean separation. Still, I pray that somehow there was a way. Needless to say, this guy's life is going to change forever but at least he's getting a second chance. I'll share a few Medi-Vac pics for now. Maybe later I'll show the post he hit but that's all. In any event, it was quite the Saturady morning around here. Things like this always make me count my blessings.

accident2.jpg

Accidentondesertwillow.jpg

accident.jpg

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Yuccch, I hope the guy comes through in as close to one piece as possible. You definitely did good by keeping the scene orderly and calling 911 so fast. You may have saved the guy. Thanks for being so responsive, and let's hope things work out.

Last edited:

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't even imagine what a horrific experience this must have been for you Patriot.

Your fast actions may have saved his life.

I believe you did the right thing in taking as many pictures as you did.

There are a lot of LEO's around here that will tell you they can use all the help they can get when investigating an accident of this nature.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Sounds like you did a great job an service. The guy, and everyone involved are probably fortunate you were there. I'll bet that was quite an experience.

I wish the guy the best on his recovery. It's going to be a long road back and a life changing event for him.

It's got me wondering....... why. Just what was he thinking?!

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you did really good in this situation. I am unsure of my ability to remain usefull when exposed to such gruesome happening.

This reminds me of an accident here in Paris a while back. A woman crossing a street by night was hit by a police motobike with such an extreme violence that her leg was torn or cut away. I remember simply hearing about this made me feel uneasy and I just wonder if I could have done anything if I had actually witnessed the accident.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, don't agree with the whole 'wish the guy well' routine. Doing 65+ in a 30, no helmet, possibly drugs, drunk or just plain stupid. Personally I couldn't care less if he makes it or not. And if he does, he should spend the rest of his life feeling remorseful about the traumatic experience that he put a whole bunch of kids and people through. I'd chalk it up as one for the Darwin awards, that is, people who improve the gene pool by being so stupid they end up removing themselves from it. Only thing that could redeem him in my eyes is if his throttle stuck open for some reason though this would probably only happen if he isn't maintaining his bike properly and anyway, that's what the engine kill switch under your right thumb is for.
And if you think I'm being cold because I don't like bikers, two weeks ago I passed the point where I have ridden 350,000 miles on bikes.

Norm

Retired Administrator
One brave little boy about 11-12 years old was holding the plasma bag for the paramedics right over the downed rider.
Not the sort of task I would want my child ask to help with, surely there would have been an adult who would have been better suited to such a task.
Norm

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
A similar situation happened here a couple weeks ago. I hear the loud beat of a helicopter nearby for a while. Finally, my couriosity gets the best of me, so I get on my bicycle and ride up to the corner where someone told me that there was a motorcycle accident. Later on the news, it was reported that a motorist pulled out in front of the bike causing a collision. The bike caught on fire and the rider suffered a broken leg and scrapes but is expected to recover.

I was thinking about getting a bike once, but canned the idea. There are too many inattentive drivers on the road. A woman and her son both worked for the same small company I did. Her husband was killed when a inattentive driver made a left turn in the path of his bike. I had met him at the company Christmas party just month prior.

My advice is high visibility. High beams are not annoying to drivers in daylight hours. You should always use high beam during daylight hour riding.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wanting a BMW bike for years but have put the idea on the back burner for some time due to the enormous rise in motorcycle accidents and deaths recently. Pa has the no-helmet provision and while that ceratinly provides for an much more exhilarating ride, accidents are that much more severe as well. I dunno...

Karl

Greta

Flashaholic
My brother was in a motorcycle accident on Monday. A woman was trying to pull out on to the main drag through his town but couldn't see around the large truck illegally parked on the side of the road. She did her best to be careful but in the end met up with my brother on his motorcycle when she pulled out. He is in the hospital with six cracked vertebrae, a contusion on his head (yes, he was wearing a helmet) and a foot that, from the pictures, I can't believe it's not broken. He was LifeNet'd out also. For a minute, when I saw this thread, I thought maybe it was his accident that was being discussed.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda reminds me of a time when I was little, maybe 10. We were watching TV on a Sat night. Hear a banging on the door, some guy outside hopping on one foot. His other foot cut, my folks wrapped him up. Turned out he tried to kick in a window at the school across the street and cut his heel off his foot. Scary when your little. He made it though, you never know. No LifeNet back then. Early 70's. Remember it well. Good job helping out, sometimes you help people even when maybe they don't deserve it.

nsx

Newly Enlightened
Tragic. Sounds eerily similar to a motorcycle accident near my office (in Phoenix, AZ) a few years ago. A young kid, who had just turned 21 and gotten his new motorcycle, was going down the street too fast and hit a light pole. He ended up losing a leg, and the use of one arm. :(

I hope both riders mentioned in this thread pull through and make a full recovery as possible. I like bikes, but drivers around here are just too crazy to ever contemplate riding one. I've had to hit the brakes several times in the past few days to avoid hitting cars that suddenly pulled out in front of me at intersections, because their drivers misjudged my speed and thought they could shave a few seconds by risking their lives. Thank goodness for defensive driving.

Stay safe everyone.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

grabbing my keys and cell phone from the coffee table.

It's not often you get to make a call that saves someone's life. Regardless of what the guy was doing to throw himself away, I'm glad you could do something. I'm a Red Cross instructor - next time I teach, can I mention this? You did everything right and were prepared to help competently - all that anyone can hope for with something so sudden.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My brother was in a motorcycle accident on Monday. A woman was trying to pull out on to the main drag through his town but couldn't see around the large truck illegally parked on the side of the road. She did her best to be careful but in the end met up with my brother on his motorcycle when she pulled out. He is in the hospital with six cracked vertebrae, a contusion on his head (yes, he was wearing a helmet) and a foot that, from the pictures, I can't believe it's not broken. He was LifeNet'd out also. For a minute, when I saw this thread, I thought maybe it was his accident that was being discussed.

So sorry to hear that Greta. The six cracked vertebrae sounds just awful. :( I've been sending prayer out to some other CPF members lately and will be praying for your brother also. I really hope that he makes a 100% recovery. These can be such life changing events it seems. :sigh:

Jay R
Sorry, don't agree with the whole 'wish the guy well' routine. Doing 65+ in a 30, no helmet, possibly drugs, drunk or just plain stupid. Personally I couldn't care less if he makes it or not.

Yeah, I guess my thoughts are that everyone in this life needs mercy and a second change. As to the the exact circumstances, I was only speculating based on my own deductive reasoning. I suspect no valid cause for his behavior but for all I know, he just lost someone dear to him or walked in on his wife cheating. God only knows. In any case, I'm sure he's got many people in his life who love him. I will say that there was a deep concern by everyone who I spoke with over the weekend and people unanimously wished him the best and hoped he survived despite that they may have been stuck in their driveways for a little while. Actually, I think the whole event is a perspective reminder for life and how temporary it can be. Suddenly the computer problems and housework seem insignificant after seeing someone almost die.

Norm
Not the sort of task I would want my child ask to help with, surely there would have been an adult who would have been better suited to such a task.

Sorry for the lack of some detail Norm, but the paramedics were short on people and asked for some help. About 4 people started forward to help including the young man who ran forward insisting that it was him. He was very inquisitive and was watching everything the rescuers were doing. It seemed like he was one of the bravest people there that day. Who know, future paramedic perhaps? :)

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, don't agree with the whole 'wish the guy well' routine. Doing 65+ in a 30, no helmet, possibly drugs, drunk or just plain stupid. Personally I couldn't care less if he makes it or not. And if he does, he should spend the rest of his life feeling remorseful about the traumatic experience that he put a whole bunch of kids and people through. I'd chalk it up as one for the Darwin awards, that is, people who improve the gene pool by being so stupid they end up removing themselves from it. Only thing that could redeem him in my eyes is if his throttle stuck open for some reason though this would probably only happen if he isn't maintaining his bike properly and anyway, that's what the engine kill switch under your right thumb is for.
And if you think I'm being cold because I don't like bikers, two weeks ago I passed the point where I have ridden 350,000 miles on bikes.

I think you are being cold because you have no compassion. Young people do stupid things sometimes, that does not mean they deserve to die.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Here is where I think the accident started about 400 yards from the impact point. The riding went up the curb and rode on the dirt between the sidewalk and the street as he plowed through bushes.
Motorcycleaccident001mod.jpg

Motorcycleaccident002.jpg

This is the next cross street or the 2nd block north
Motorcycleaccident003mod.jpg

Just past this hydrant
cid__0905091229.jpg

Path through the bushes. He was traveling at least 55mph here and this is about where I saw him from the back yard.
Motorcycleaccident004.jpg

Somewhere between these last two pictures the rider crossed the street over to the opposite sidewalk dirt.
Motorcycleaccident005mod.jpg

More plowing
Motorcycleaccident006mod.jpg

Final split seconds, clipped the edge of the rock and sent him airborne
Motorcycleaccident007.jpg

Self explanatory
Motorcycleaccident008.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
Pat, kudos to you for helping out!
Sasha, sorry to hear about your brother.
Re. that young person helping out... I know of pretty young people (13 or so) with enough training and mindset to deal with pretty serious accidents (and they have).

I've always wanted a bike, but stories like this always make me go hmmm....

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang Sasha, hope your brother pulls through with as little trouble as possible. I'll light a candle for him tonight.

Gotta admit, I agree w/ Jay R on the original post. Regardless of the extenuating circumstances(if any), the rider and the rider alone is responsible for his own actions. I wish him well, but I'm not the slightest bit sorry for him. It bites that his education had to disturb so many other people, and I hope those other people can learn from his mistake.

:buddies:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, what an experience. From the description and the photos, could it be that the motorcyclist lost control of the bike long before the crash? Perhaps even before Patriot first heard the bike?

If anything, it's certainly a blessing that no one else was injured, or worse.

Patriot, you did good! And thanks for sharing the story and photos.

Greta, healing thoughts sent your brother's way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts