MTE SSC P7 - flickering

JimmerG

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone else had this problem?

Its a 5 mode flashlight - on the whole its perfect - just every now and again the light flickers slightly and then goes very dim, it'll still cycle through the 5 modes, but without the fabled power.

If I twist the end cap, it usually goes bright again (it does not have a twisty on/off system - just a normal click button. So clearly there's a problem with the end cap. Is it likely to be the the spring contact with the battery? I just can't imagine how this can be faulty. Could there be problem further inside the switch mechanism. Or could it be at the other end of the battery - How can I check?

The battery does rattle slightly in the torch body, but when you rattle it around it doesn't affect the light level or mode.

What do we think?

Thanks for you help

J

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
To check if it's the cap fault, remove it, put the battery in the tube and shorten negative end to flashlight body (with some wire). If the light output will be constant, it means something wrong is with the switch.

As you noticed, for sure there is nothing wrong with spring-battery contact. The problem is in the internals. I don't know how does it exactly looks, but I suppose there is an aluminium ring, that blocks the whole switch board. Unscrew the ring, remove the switch board and put some solder points on the part of the board that has contact with the blocking ring. Then assembly it tight together. This should help (at least this helped in most my flashlights from DX that have flicker problems).

If the above intructions aren't clear, put some photos of the tailcap and I'll show you what to do. :)

jahxman

Enlightened
I've had to do similar operations on most of the DX type lights I've purchased; usually it is necessary to completely disassemble every part of the light you can, clean well, maybe add some solder blobs here and there for better contact, deoxit, relube, and hope for the best.

Slash5

Newly Enlightened
Before you do anything else, just tighten the ring you see in the tailcap. Use needle nose pliers, snap ring pliers, tweasers, dividers, or even a couple of nails in the two holes/depressions.

This fixes most of the problems without any further work. If you are interested or just for fun, you can remove that ring, pull the parts out, and make sure everthing is clean and looks Ok.

JimmerG

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help guys, it all sounds like sound advice - I'll take the tail cap apart and see what I can see...

Thanks again.

J

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Sorry I am a bit late to this thread... Sound advice has already been given:thumbsup:

IMHO its something in the switch cap and/or its interface with the body. Try the bare wire trick (from coolperl) to confirm there are no problems with the rest of the light.

This kind of thing is not uncommon, every DX light I have bought except the RC-C3 has needed some kind of tear down and re-build to get it to work optimally.

Keep us posted on your results.