Need help picking single 18650/dual RCR123 light – looking for wide spot/little spill

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few lights I have and the pluses/minuses with each model:
-T20C2 neutral – good bright light, tremendous throw but spot way to tight for close-up use, perfect size for what I am looking for, good Lo, Med, Hi settings but inconvenient UI.
-MG L-Mini II – too cool white, not as bright as advertised, good cheap 18650 light but very limited range, nice wide spot but too much light lost to spill.
-TK40 – this has just the spot and spill I am looking for but it just too large. The MC-E also has a nice warm/neutral to it which is very appealing.
-M2CX4 – great warm hue, too tight spot for up close.
-Quark 123(2) – Good 17670 light, the spot is a little to "mushy" for my liking – not as well defined as the TC20C2 or the TK40.
So, here is what I would really like in a nice portable light for easy carry: a light the size, weight and shape of the TC20C2 which takes one 18650 light; has a regulated output on one 18650; runtime at least 1 hour on Hi; Lo, Med, Hi UI of the MG would be nice – strobe not necessary; a spot/spill like the TK40; and a neutral to warm color like the TK40 or M2XC4 neutral. So does this exist?
Some lights I have looked at the reviews for but am just not sure about are: Olight M20 (spot maybe to narrow, too cool color), T100C2 (spot maybe to narrow), WolfEyes MC-Explorer (head maybe to wide). I know there are other out there like JetBeam but don't have any hands-on with them.
Suggestions appreciated.
Once I find that one right light (yeah right!!! :whistle:) look for some of these in the MarketPlace.

jahxman

Enlightened
What comes to mind right away is the Olight M20 Ti SST-50 - puts out a nice fat spot, but maybe a little cooler than you are looking for. Also $$$

Another good choice would be the LumaPower D-Mini EX. This is a very compact light with a MC-E, nice fat spot, no donut hole. Comes with a body tube for either 1x18650 or 1xRCr123. The tint of mine is quite neutral, not cool at all. Runs about $80. Simple forward clicky interface High -> Medium -> Low. GITD tailcap and lens o-ring, but comes with black spares.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SST50 Ti M20 looks yummy! Nice specs too for the light - would hope that maybe I get something on the warmer side of the bin run if I ordered it. Good looking specs:

Weight: 161g without batteries
Dimensions: Overall length 140mm, Body Dia: 25mm, Bezel Dia: 33.5mm.

HKJ's review: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3074740#post3074740

Comapred with the T20C2 specs they are almost the same with a weight diff of about 40 grams - not that big a deal - still ~200g with a battery.
Length 5.9 inches (14.9 cm)
Diameter Head Diameter: 1.38" (3.5 cm) Body Diameter: 1.0" (2.5 cm)
Body Weight 4.25 ounces (120 grams)

In comparison to the WolfEyes MC-E about the same but slightly smaller head.
Weight without battery: 168g
Length: 150mm
Body diameter: 25.4mm
Head diameter: 42mm

Head on the D-Mini just a bit to fat for me compared with the body.