How has the TSA been with flashlights lately?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I haven't flown in quite awhile and now I might be visiting Beantown soon. I'm seriously considering bringing my Fenix P3D-CE along. What are my chances of it being disallowed?

usair

Newly Enlightened
THE reply : check the logic at the door /

shampoo is the ultimate threat sometime

Last edited:

jchoo

Enlightened
I'll let you know on Saturday, as I'll have not only TSA but customs (USA and UK) to deal with. Whatya doin in Bawstin? I haven't been home in a couple of years... I've been yearning to see Fenway again... maybe next summer!

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened
I just returned from a multi-island Hawaii trip that included USDA customs scans. I carried an Olight M20 Warrior, a MC-E Aurora, and a DX CR123 EDC.

I went through security four times. Never had a problem, a bag check, or even a mention about the lights.

I thought the M20's mildly aggressive SS bezel might raise interest. Nope...

They were MUCH more interested in my friends HAM radio. Also his 3 pound ziploc bag of sand ruffled their feathers a bit... :ohgeez:

I'm positive you'll be completely fine with nearly any light you carry. The few exceptions being those highly aggressive strike bezels. The P3D-CE will be a breeze.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlights???? they didn't even notice (nether did i, to be honest, totaly forgot) leaterman wave in my carry on. neither they said anything about lighter in my jacket, that went thru x ray machine.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing flashlights don't have some sort of hollow compartment that you could store stuff in. :thinking:
Just a battery compartment :p

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened
As an addendum:

While carrying my lights I did, on one occasion, get flagged for a secondary TSA search at the departure gate. This was due to my suspicious looking friend, who they believed looked like some kind of drug dealer.

The agents removed everything from my backpack including all three lights. Found nothing of interest and stuffed everything back in the backpack. She didn't even take a hard look at the flashlights. She simply ignored them. :shrug:

supes

Enlightened
Traveled continentally earlier this summer, carried inside my carry-on: 1 Fenix P3D, 1 Nitecore EX10, SF A2, SF 6Z, some fauxtons, and 2 SF SC carriers with batteries/lamps. No problems through TSA for me. I'm sure the P3D will not be a problem at all. BUT because nothing is certain in life, I carried some USPS envelopes, just in case I needed to ship them.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fly once a year to Europe (Germany) from Florida, and get secondary TSA searched quite often (I guess my 'tactical' clothing I wear for traveling may have something to do with that ... I like lots of pockets ... but it doesn't help that there are hidden pockets for concealed carry).

Never got a problem with lights, batteries and other electronics.

Except snide remarks:

"Hey, look, this guy's prepared!" -- commenting on my battery collection.

"Help, there's a Circuit City in a bag!" -- from a TSA lady watching my bag on x-ray.

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
I just flew internationally out of Newark with my new Milkyspit Heat Miser in my carry-on... no issues with the TSA people.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks everybody! It looks like I should be ok with my P3D. :)

jchoo, it's just a short visit for business. No plans for sightseeing other than a couple of hours during the evenings.

DM51

Flashaholic
I have just returned from 2 weeks overseas (intercontinental flights) and in my carry-on baggage were the following:

1x MaxaBeam
1x Polarion PH40
1x SF M6
1x Megalennium M6
1x SF M3
2x SF A2
1x McGizmo Sundrop
1x McGizmo Sapphire
1x Novatac P120
1x Muysondt Aeon
... all with their batteries/cells inside, and some spares. Other lights, chargers etc were in my checked baggage.

No-one at check-in or X-ray/security batted an eyelid at any stage.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just returned from 2 weeks overseas (intercontinental flights) and in my carry-on baggage were the following:

1x MaxaBeam
1x Polarion PH40
1x SF M6
1x Megalennium M6
1x SF M3
2x SF A2
1x McGizmo Sundrop
1x McGizmo Sapphire
1x Novatac P120
1x Muysondt Aeon
... all with their batteries/cells inside, and some spares. Other lights, chargers etc were in my checked baggage.

What bezel do you have on your M6's? I'm assuming my RPM 8TC bezel on my M6 wouldn't make it past the search.

-Mayo

DM51

Flashaholic
They are the slightly crenellated ones - not flat, but not combat or porcupine-style. I do have a CB one, but decided not to take it for that reason.

Patriot

Flashaholic

1x MaxaBeam
1x Polarion PH40
1x SF M6
1x Megalennium M6
1x SF M3
2x SF A2
1x McGizmo Sundrop
1x McGizmo Sapphire
1x Novatac P120
1x Muysondt Aeon

I'm not sure where you went but that sounds like one heck of a fun trip! :)

I remember your pictures from Africa in which you illuminated an large bull elephant with your Maxabeam...:cool:

DM51

Flashaholic
Same place, no particularly dramatic photos this time, but lighting up crocs at night is fun.

Croc-night.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great picture of that fella! I'm guessing it was illuminated by one of the M6's as it looks like and incan shot. It also looks like you were fairly close to the water's edge or in a boat. Thanks for sharing it DM.

It's great to know that you got these light in your carry on without any hassle.