Coyote Hunting Light

firefighter1241

Newly Enlightened
I have this light for coyote hunting but I want to know if I add 2 more spacers to make it hold 6 CR123 and use a 500 lumen bulb, is that the brighest I can make this light with the best throw? What other bulbs can I use to get better throw? Im still very new so if you could talk plain english and not CPF that would help. Also any links would help as well. Thanks

IMG_00108.JPG

Greta

Flashaholic
I guess my first question is, where do you live where it is legal to hunt coyotes at night?

Also... how can you use your sites with that light mounted where it is? Would be better mounted underneath.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can hunt coyote most places at night, though I've read that in some states there is a season for predators, and some require a permit. I've actually never heard of anyone hunting them in the daytime.

I have this light for coyote hunting but I want to know if I add 2 more spacers to make it hold 6 CR123 and use a 500 lumen bulb, is that the brighest I can make this light with the best throw? What other bulbs can I use to get better throw?
Which 4x123 lamp assembly are you using?

No, you can't use 6x123. The M6 with 500 lumen bulb(MN21) uses 2 sets of 3 batteries for a total of 9V like the 3x123 lights, just with twice the capacity.

You can use 2 17670 Lithium Ion rechargeables in your current setup with the Surefire MN16, or the Lumens Factory HO-M3T lamp assemblies.
I don't have any experience with the 12V lamp assemblies from Surefire or Lumens Factory for using with 4x123, so will leave that for someone else.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess my first question is, where do you live where it is legal to hunt coyotes at night?

Also... how can you use your sites with that light mounted where it is? Would be better mounted underneath.
The light is mounted off to the side of the rifle, I have mine mounted on my AR in the same postion.

If you ad a few more cells for a totall of six, and use the MN21 is suppose? that will not work, the MN21 is not a 18 volt bulb, it is a 9volt bulb, so no you can not do that. Just get an M6 and duck tape that bad boy on there. you can spot things 300 plus yrads with mine.

Also if you plan on spoting things that far out I would say you need an optic, But really I think it is great just the way you have it. Just deal with the light you have or get closer.

Greta

Flashaholic
You can hunt coyote most places at night, though I've read that in some states there is a season for predators, and some require a permit. I've actually never heard of anyone hunting them in the daytime.

Hmmm... guess that's the south for you. Can't hunt ANYTHING at night here! And hunting coyotes is seasonal and during the day only. And I live in the wild, wild west! :grin2:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen a coyote in the daytime!

edit: not a live one, anyway:)

NE450No2

Enlightened
Firefighter

Get a good variable scope in the 1to6, or @2to8 power range with an illuminated reticle and the light you have will be plenty powerful enough.

The 2.5 to8 power Leupold MKIV M3 [the one with the Ballistic Cam] is a great scope for distance shooting with a 223, or a 308 for that matter.

Greta

In Texas you can hunt coyotes and other nongame animals, including pigs, year round, no limit.
You can also hunt them at night, with a light, and even with a full auto or a silencer/supressor.

If you are going to be hunting or shooting at night, it is a good idea to call the local Game Warden and tell him where you will be shooting, so if he gets a call at 3 am, he does not have to get dressed and go check it out.

Actually I have seen, and shot more coyotes at @9:30 am to 11:am than any other time.

firefighter1241

Newly Enlightened
That upper is sold and I'm going to build a new upper for hunting. That is just the best picture I have of that light.

The bulb is a MN61 and it works good I just want all the light I can get. I don't care about weight as I will be using a very nice Harris bipod.