Will Turbo mode damage Fenix lights?

Max53

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i am new to this forum and torches/flashlights and i have just purchased a Fenix LD 20. The light output of the turbo mode is a must for what i am using it for and i would like to know if anybody knows if it will damage the flashlight using it in turbo mode. Thanks.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, if you run it constantly, without any type of heat removal (ie: holding it in your hand.). Don't use alkalines with it on turbo, though. The high current draw might cause them to leak.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using a LD20 mounted on a tripod beside my desk for a number of months now and its fine. Its usually on until the batteries run out and there has been no damage what so ever. Most nights, it has the diffuser tip on so if anything, it adds to the heat. There has been no damage at all as far as I can tell

Databyter

Enlightened
I would say no for all practical purposes.

They are built to take it. There is a disclaimer on some Fenix lights which recommends turbo usage be limited to 10-15 minutes depending on light. But I imagine you could get away with a bit more.

15 minutes is a LONG time.

EDIT you will not damage your light AT ALL by using turbo for recommended times. That's for sure.

Max53

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses guys! I was planning on using it for cycling mounted on my bike, so i think i will not use turbo mode.

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I was going to say as well. I use it only for short bursts of 5-10 minutes where i can't see anything on my bike path, but the light does not warm up significantly. Remember that when cycling you're going 10 mph minimum that that's a lot of cool air (esp at night) moving through the flashlight.

If you're really concerned you can get some chipset heatsinks for computers and stick them on the head I imagine (anyone know if this works?)

Max53

Newly Enlightened
OH! I did not know it was heat that did the damage, i just assumed it was over volting the LED. I would think that the heat would dissipate quickly through the aluminium frame and it would not be a problem.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it's held in your hand and moreso on a moving bicycle that's true. Sitting it on a table or propping it up to see something and leaving it on turbo will overheat the LED and permanently damage it.