Any experience with Bantam 301DX-II or Proton 4 chargers?

eddyg

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody have any experience with the Bantam 301DX-II charger? (I did try searching and couldn't find any previous articles. If I missed them, please post a link.)

It seems like a pretty capable charger, but I'm curious about its use by somebody who primarily uses Li-Ion cells in flashlights.

The user's manual in PDF format is available. On page 9, it talks about the Li-Ion charging programs:

Lithium battery (LiIo/LiPo/LiFe) program
These programs are only suitable for charging and discharging Lithium batteries with a nominal voltage of 3.3V, 3.6V and 3.7V per cell. These batteries need to adopt different charge technique is termed constant voltage(CV) and constant current(CC) method. The charge current varies according to the battery capacity and performance. The final voltage of charge process is also very important; it should be precisely matched with the charged voltage of the battery. They are 4.2V for LiPo, 4.1V for LiIo, and 3.6V for LiFe. The charge current and nominal voltage as for cell count set on the charge program must always be correct for the battery to be charged.​
I realize that this is a "hobby charger" and would require the addition of a 12V power supply, battery cradles and a balancer if I wanted to properly do more than one cell at once, but it seems like it would allow for optimal charging of most any lithium battery, from 10440's up to 32600's. I'm just curious how much real-world "button pushing" is involved in setting up the charger with those optimum settings...

The other hobby charger I was looking at was the Proton 4, which also handles balancing for about $20 more. I want to rig up some battery cradles for charging up to 4 of the same-sized cells (LiIon or even A123 cells) simultaneously. The PDF manual for the Proton 4 is also available if anybody wants to look it over.

Anything I'm missing by considering this route for LiIon battery charging (besides the obvious extra cost) over a simple Pila IBC (which only charges at 600ma, which is too much for smaller batteries like 10440s)? It seems like it would be nice to be able to charge any cell size at exactly 1C and get some cool "diagnostic" data on the cells via the LCD display. Any other chargers I should be considering?

EDIT TO ADD: After reviewing the manual for the TURNIGY Accucell-8 and Accucell-6, I'm thinking the 301DX-II is a less-capable variant without balancing built in. And since the Turnigy's can be found for less money, it's a better choice!

Last edited: