Ra Clicky Executive vs Novatac 120E

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate to start a thread on this my searches didn't give the answer - LA Police Gear is closing out the Novatac for $89 - I was this close to ordering an Ra before I found that deal. Ra seems to be the chosen one between the 2, but for $50 difference for small EDC.....
Thoughts? Construction? Interface? Output? Comfortable to carry? Finish holds up? Is the Ra worth $50 extra?

Thanks in advance!
:thinking:

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
I think most people will tell you the Ra is worth the extra $. But if money is seriously tight, the Novatac is a decent light. I own multiples of each, so I know what makes them both nice lights.

The NT is smaller in size -- but I still carry one of my Ra lights daily. The Ra's design does a better job of protecting the lens and they are built like tanks.

OTOH, I don't believe I would be concerned if I was stranded with only the NT in pocket.

Of course the flashaholic answer is: BUY BOTH!!!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac is 120 Lumens max. The Ra EDC is 120 Lumens and is $99. However between the two I'm going to say it's a rough call due to some issues the Ra has had - main one now is not being able to tailstand with the newer style tail switch. I don't know if that is still an issue but it may be something you want to check into before buying. As you know both lights were designed by Henry. Ra has a few new features but the low end one at $99 is not a lot different and uses the same emitter as the Novatac. If Novatac ever gets its s%#* together they will be selling the Novatac Storm for around $60 or a little less. It's been promised for the last year but still is getting bumped into future delivery dates - latest I've seen is 10-15-09. Don't hold your breath though as it has been bumped up at least 10 times IIRC - usually a month or so ahead each time a delivery date approaches. These are their foreign made versions but sound like they will be essentially the same as current models with programming available to customize them.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks - I'm leaning toward the Ra. I just read the owner's manual online. Wow. Do you happen to have any photos of the light next to something like a SF E1B or one of the little Fenix single cell - 123 or AA - lights? I'm interested in a tank of a light to carry at all times. I love my little inexpensive Fenix and the Surefire E1B is terrific, but neither one is exactly what I want for EDC. Gonna give the Fenix to my wife for her purse and the Surefire is running a primary only, so I'd like the EDC to be capable of handling RCRs.

Gotta love the fact that you can customize the Ra lights on their site, too. $89 for the Novatac - heck, you are right - I should buy both!!

EEG

Newly Enlightened
I have one of each and after the easter egg clicks my NT tail cap has not been right since so I think they have a limited number of reliable clicks in them. I still use it and like it but it only sees short term use so I say Ra Clicky w/ smooth bezel and bezel down TI pocket clip. Rides the pocket like a dream.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac is 120 Lumens max. The Ra EDC is 120 Lumens and is $99. However between the two I'm going to say it's a rough call due to some issues the Ra has had - main one now is not being able to tailstand with the newer style tail switch. I don't know if that is still an issue but it may be something you want to check into before buying. As you know both lights were designed by Henry. Ra has a few new features but the low end one at $99 is not a lot different and uses the same emitter as the Novatac. If Novatac ever gets its s%#* together they will be selling the Novatac Storm for around $60 or a little less. It's been promised for the last year but still is getting bumped into future delivery dates - latest I've seen is 10-15-09. Don't hold your breath though as it has been bumped up at least 10 times IIRC - usually a month or so ahead each time a delivery date approaches. These are their foreign made versions but sound like they will be essentially the same as current models with programming available to customize them.

The Ra I am looking at is 140 lumen with recessed button and sells for $139....unless I've missed a deal somewhere!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of each and after the easter egg clicks my NT tail cap has not been right since so I think they have a limited number of reliable clicks in them. I still use it and like it but it only sees short term use so I say Ra Clicky w/ smooth bezel and bezel down TI pocket clip. Rides the pocket like a dream.

Thanks - this forum always ultimately points the way.

Carbon Hill, AL? Heck, I've got family in Carbon Hill!! I'm originally from T-Town.....

:twothumbs

Dan FO

Enlightened
Remember that 140 lumens is only good for 10 seconds then it drops.

EEG

Newly Enlightened
Thanks - this forum always ultimately points the way.

Carbon Hill, AL? Heck, I've got family in Carbon Hill!! I'm originally from T-Town.....

:twothumbs

The web makes the world a whole lot smaller.

I had a sale on another forum found by a guy in T-Town and turns out we worked a couple miles from each other and met up at lunch and made the sale.

Back on topic- Get the narrower beam by the way

Knife Boy

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a RA (yet), but my Novatac 120E is one of my favorite lights. Very well built, beautiful beam, ingenius UI, and at that price you can't go wrong. I would grab it at $85 and then order a P style tailcap from lIghthound for it. In my opinion this makes it nearly the ultimate EDC light. As many ahve said I am sure both are great but I can only opine on the NT

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a RA (yet), but my Novatac 120E is one of my favorite lights. Very well built, beautiful beam, ingenius UI, and at that price you can't go wrong. I would grab it at $85 and then order a P style tailcap from lIghthound for it. In my opinion this makes it nearly the ultimate EDC light. As many ahve said I am sure both are great but I can only opine on the NT

I really want to get one of the Ra lights, but as you say, it is hard to turn down the Novatac for $90.....sold. Ra will enter my wish list!

AILL

Newly Enlightened
Go for the Novatac. I own two 120P and a RA140CGT, I had a RA140CN. Both RA's have/had issues whereas the Novatacs work 100%.
Last weekend I went for some days to Venice/Italy with my wife and I thought long which light I should choose between my 140CGT, the 120P and the LF3XT to accompany us.
Finally I preferred the Novatac.

Andreas
*AILL*

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I really want to get one of the Ra lights, but as you say, it is hard to turn down the Novatac for $90.....sold. Ra will enter my wish list!

If you haven't already bought the Novatac, for $9 more you can get a Ra EDC Executive. It's 120 lumens instead of 140 but that is the main difference. When I bought mine, I couldn't figure out any other significant difference between the higher end Clickys and the EDC. I think it has a few less optional modes and no choice of beam shape, but it comes with perfect settings that I dont wish to change.

Plus, the extra $9 gives you an American made light.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus, the extra $9 gives you an American made light.

I agree- but it is not an extra $9 - it is an extra $50. I much prefer to buy the American products - that's why I slowly switching over to Surefire. I'll (embarrassed) admit - this was purely an impulse. LA Police Gear had a clearance on the Novatac - of course, that made me comparison shop and I know the Ra lights are great - so I put the question out there. The Novatac will be here next week - and next month I'll probably order the Ra!

:sssh:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That challenges this information.

bansuri is right - direct quote from Novatac's web site:

"All of our lights are Proudly Made in the USA."

at this link

So now I'm feeling really good about this $89 purchase (for a $139 MSRP light.) And it can handle 4.2V so I can drop that RCR in when I want to. My collection of 123 lights is growing so batteries may be an issue...

:bumpit:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
$99 plus free battery caddy and 4 batteries here:

http://batterystation.com/hdsedcexecutive.htm

Cool - but I was confused. The one I was looking at was this one:

Ra Clicky Executive

but now I see the one you mention at Ra's site for $99 also - of course no caddy or batteries.

Ra Clicky EDC

So you can see why I was confused. When I get the Ra I'll order the Executive and have it customized - so I'm still happy with the Novatac decision. Thanks for the info!!

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Sorry I goofed on the made in USA bit. They are both sweet lights and you really can't go wrong. :twothumbs