Where can I buy a spring for circuit board to be used in a Solarforce L2 18650?

bourmb

Newly Enlightened
I have the DX MC-E P60 drop-in being used in my Solarforce L2 running off of a AW protected 18650. I purchased a new circuit board to be used with the DX MC-E drop in. http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-132/3-dsh-Mode-Regulated-Circuit-Board/Detail

The spring on the new board is not long enough to be used with the 18650's. The spring on the DX drop-in will not work, either. Where can I get a long enough spring? Does anyone have any suggestions on the proper way to remove the spring on the Shiningbeam board beyond just heating up with a soldering iron?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I had a similar problem on a DX board, it uses one of those coils too. I went to OSH and bought some solid core copper wire. Just small enough diameter to fit inside that coil spring. I cut it to length, and dremel'd it smooth and flat on the end, it ended up being a little over .25" IIRC. Place it inside the coil and run a bead of solder around the copper. I lost the dual-springs though.

YMMV depending on the length of your cells and tailcap spring. FWIW, I am using flat topped 18650 cells.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Is the difference in length so significant that you can't stretch the spring to size?

I think its more of a coil than a spring. Its pretty solid, I tried to pull it and stretch it out, but it wouldn't budge... at least not without fear of damaging the board.

IMHO of course.:thumbsup:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the small center spring on driver boards, I've used the unneeded incandescent bulb springs from LED mod'ed C and D Mags. Just cut to desired length and bend the free end inward to "close the loop" so that the spring makes good contact with the top of your battery stack. It's not a pretty conical spring like you usually see, but it works fine.