I went the cheap way... and got punished!

325addict

Enlightened
"You get what you pay for!!"

I can hear you all thinking it right away, while reading the title of this post :crackup:

And you are right in thinking it. I would say, shout it out loud!!

The greater part of flashaholics will know the famous Ultrafire WF-501B. The cheap Xenon starter-flashlight, that is bright, but has weak threads, bad finishes etc etc.
Maybe less people know, there's a WF-501C and WF-501D also! I always thought that "B" is for "Black".
No, the B is for 2X CR123, the C is for 3X CR123 and the D is for 4X CR123!
And, best if all, those el-cheapo's are 18XXX-compatible.

So, the B accepts one 18650, the C accepts two 18500s and the D accepts two 18650s!! I actually tried this, at least AW and the well-known blue Trustfire 2500mAh cells fit. I also bought the new 3000mAh Ultrafire cells and guess what? They DON'T fit!

But, so far so good, with AW cells no problems, they just slide in. What's the problem then?

Well, in the first place, the O-rings are crappy. In combination with the too-sharp edges on the tailcap, you immediately cut them....
In the second place, the (very bright!) incan drop in starts to emit SMOKE after a few seconds.... had this before with DX drop ins, this was due to not hardened bonding agent. Let it cure in open air for a few days and all is OK.

So, in the end, I have some ruined O-rings now. Let's visit the hardware store to see if they sell appropriate replacement....

All this because I wanted to save some money, and didn't want to give $45,- for an FM body. I can tell you: go for the FM body, this one will definitely be much better and you can combine it with your SureFire tailcap and bezel....

Timmo.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
This is typical for DX lights. 4/6 of the ones I bought all required a complete part by part tear down + rebuild to get them to perform reliably. Definitely not recommended for the CPF noob. FWIW, my $9 501B is still going strong in my collection. Its my smallest P60 host and the lightest weight so its easier to pack-carry. I use it to host a foil wrapped DIY 1400mah module. A smoking incan LA... YIKES!!

A better way to get multi-cell lego options from a P60, is to go the lighthound/soloarforce route.

http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...-Switch-all-Black-Type-2-Anodized_p_2629.html

http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforce-L2-Flashlight-Extension-Tube--L2-ECR_p_1625.html

http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...on-Tube-for-18650-Battery--L2-E18_p_2808.html

$25+$7+$7 = $39

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
this looks way better indeed... that WF-501B, my very first "high pressure Xenon lamp" is still in my collection too, and works like new! From day 1 however, I had to be very careful when turning that tailcap on it. This has not changed....

Timmo.

NE450No2

Enlightened
As Oscar Wilde once said...

"I have the simplest of tastes, I am always satisifed with the best"...

That is why for hand helds and weapon lights I am pretty much
ALL SURE FIRE ALL THE TIME...

I have NEVER been disapointed.:thumbsup:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am yet to own a xxxxfire... other then Surefire :D

I guess some would call me a flashlight snob :naughty:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow - I went the cheap way and got rewarded !

But then one needs to consider things ...

$10USD flashlight Shipped ..

$3 for the Incan drop in , $2 for postage = $5 Body ... :nana:

And you want to compare a $5 body to a $45 body ? :ohgeez:

I just dont know what to say ?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Wow - I went the cheap way and got rewarded !

x2... I have aalso been rewarded by the cheap end of the spectrum. Form my $9 501B to my $170 M2... IMHO they all have something to offer. Just tonight I was fixing my wifes car (oil change and a slow transmission fluid leak). I was mopping up the underside of the chassis with paper towels. My light of choice?.... the $9 501B. I had it set to Medium and was pushing a Q5-WC with 650mah, from an 18650. It got barely warm after ~2 hours in the garage. At the end it was coated with oil and dirt. Wiped it down with some simple green and a rag and its good to go.

IMHO the DX cheapies have a lot to offer, if you know how to fix them and get them up and running.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
solarforce: low end of price
SF: high end of price

luckily there is a very nice range of medium price makers
(and with led there is not soo much difference to be actually forced to go for the high price route)