NEW SF Filters are up on Website

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new clamp-on FM5x series filters (for 1" bezels) are up on SF website...A bit pricey, but the look bad arse!!!!

gsxrac

Enlightened
Whew! Pricey is right! I want a couple FM54's :naughty: But seriously why $91? I thought my other's were bad at $30-$40 MSRP

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow ! ! ! :eek:

I've bought Circular Polarizing Filters,

Multi-Coated B+W premium, for that kinda' bucks.

:shakehead

_

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm sure the prices of the FM5x were questioned internally at various stages of SureFire preparing them for release, and that those involved with determining the price had to justify it.
The fact that they are 'surprisingly' high would indicate there are good reasons for this.
Note that these were designed for ScoutLight operations as the main reason for them existing compared to the filter caps the E-Series already has.

The FM5x are quite bulky and not especially pocket friendly because they are designed for use on a firearm, by [gloved] operators in adverse and stressful conditions...

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are these b**s made of aluminum at least?

Thats some pricey $h!t!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

zven

Enlightened
A flip-up diffuser alternative to the F04 is exactly what I've been wanting for a long time. And I think I could even live with the bulk of this one. But at $91 it's way beyond what this is worth to me. I don't really blame them, as they must only be charging this much because they have to. And it's intended for a pretty specialized market. Maybe someday there'll be an affordable flip-up option, intended for the mass market...

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I'm sure the prices of the FM5x were questioned internally at various stages of SureFire preparing them for release, and that those involved with determining the price had to justify it.
The fact that they are 'surprisingly' high would indicate there are good reasons for this.

Bottom line perhaps?

Because they'll be selling them the military, and can get away with charging like a wounded bull?

1wrx7

Enlightened
Looks like aluminum to me. Very beefy too. I don't see them being comfortable for pocket carry, but they're designed for the M600. All of the SF filters I have came with different lights I bought. I could never justify the cost of them alone. Hopefully in the future I'll end up with one of these filters the same way.

zven

Enlightened
I think for an LX2 a F04 is a better option anyway, keep it slim :D

I do like how the F04 keeps it slim, but it's definitely not a convenient solution when you want to switch back and forth between diffused and not diffused. I see the F04 as perfect for when you know ahead of time what kind of beam you'll want, but it's quite a hassle when, for instance, you want diffusion, but your F04 is floating loose in some pocket. For the added convenience of a flip-up diffuser, I could definitely live with a little extra bulk.

I've been trying to figure out a homemade flip-up alternative to the F04, but haven't gotten anything to work yet. I don't suppose anyone around here has already succeeded at doing this?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think that we inovative CPF'ers can come up with some thing like the F24 used with the C series SF's. The F24 is essentially a Butler Creek scope cover, tip off mount with Sure Fire's proprietary diffusion material. A 1" Butler Creek tip off mount could be easily modified by removing the plastic window and replacing it with something like flashlightlens.com LDF of appropriate size, or use the F04 diffusion window.

Bill

zven

Enlightened
I think that we inovative CPF'ers can come up with some thing like the F24 used with the C series SF's. The F24 is essentially a Butler Creek scope cover, tip off mount with Sure Fire's proprietary diffusion material. A 1" Butler Creek tip off mount could be easily modified by removing the plastic window and replacing it with something like flashlightlens.com LDF of appropriate size, or use the F04 diffusion window.

Bill

Ooh, I didn't know about those. That's definitely the kind of thing I'd be looking for. And at the price, it certainly looks worth it to give it a try. Certainly would be much easier to modify that than to build something from scratch.

Only issue from the photos of them I can find: those covers don't appear to rest flat against the flashlight when open. To anyone who might know the Butler Creek scope covers well enough - can they rest flat against the scope/flashlight when open, and if not, do you think it's possible to modify them to do so?

Light Head

Newly Enlightened
The FM5x are quite bulky and not especially pocket friendly because they are designed for use on a firearm, by [gloved] operators in adverse and stressful conditions...
Man...I've been looking for this for some time, wanted a quick way to flip diffuser on and off. But this is definitely not pocket-friendly, will rip holes in my pockets.

I currently EDC my E1B with F04, and I like the snag-free surfaces.

Latest posts