Superpower: Flashlight!

jblackwood

Enlightened
Most of us here are guys. Most guys I know fantasized at one point or another about super powers. I know that lots of CPFers are LEO's or other professions that actually use these lights, but for me they're mostly gadgets I love and use whenever I can or need to. Bottom line: until gene therapy gives me the ability to fly/read minds/change the density of my body at will/turn invisible . . . I'll have to settle for always having a light with me that fits in my hand and yet can easily light a movie theater. In other words, I know that my desire for super powers has always manifested in MY profession (I'm a musician). Whenever I go anywhere with a piano, I look around pretty confident that even if someone else plays piano in that gathering (I never find a compatriot), there's little to no chance that they play all the video game music I do (haven't met one person yet who does). My flashlight hobby is an extension of this, I think. I know I'm most likely the only person in the room with a light. Even if someone else has one, I'm pretty sure it won't be as bright as whatever light I currently have on me (I always pack at least 90-200 lumens).

I'm even willing to bet that some LEO's observe with same phenomenon with their firearms. I'd be interested in their opinions as well.

Any one else have any thoughts on this? To the Mods, please move this to the Cafe if you see fit, I just wanted some more exposure on this thread . . . figured this would be the right place to start it.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly, this is more or less the main reason I'm a flashaholic….As I've stated else were, mankind has always tired to imitate the "Gods" and I can't see much else more empowering then bringing light to the darkness.

This is the main reason I EDC an extremely stupid assortment of lights. I don't know if it makes me more of a hardcore flashaholic:cool:, or just crazy:crazy:, but I now constantly belt carry a tiablo A9 with an aspheric lens and my regular Elector Lumens EDC-P7:eek:oo:. With this combo (700 lumens + 66,000+ Lux) "while being extremely impractical and overkill:ohgeez:" I find no lighting job to daunting for The Flashlight Master!!:wow:

:poke:Yah, I know there is something wrong with me:p.

HKJ

Flashaholic
This is the main reason I EDC an extremely stupid assortment of lights. I don't know if it makes me more of a hardcore flashaholic:cool:, or just crazy:crazy:, but I now constantly belt carry a tiablo A9 with an aspheric lens and my regular Elector Lumens EDC-P7:eek:oo:. With this combo (700 lumens + 66,000+ Lux) "while being extremely impractical and overkill:ohgeez:" I find no lighting job to daunting for The Flashlight Master!!:wow:

:poke:Yah, I know there is something wrong with me:p.

Why not get some better lights? A DEFT is much better than the A9+Asp and a single P7 is kind of common nowadays , get at least a triple P7/MC-E. The best would be some HID lights, in my last shootout with flashlights a L35 killed any P7 and the DEFT.
You will need some bigger pocket, but that is a small price to pay for having the best equipment.:crackup:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Superpower = Flashlight!
You might be on to something...
I usually try to use the minimum amount of light necessary, but do have a good laugh everytime I light up the woods like something is about to land.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not get some better lights? A DEFT is much better than the A9+Asp and a single P7 is kind of common nowadays , get at least a triple P7/MC-E. The best would be some HID lights, in my last shootout with flashlights a L35 killed any P7 and the DEFT.
You will need some bigger pocket, but that is a small price to pay for having the best equipment.:crackup:

:crackup:Were does one get bigger pockets?:D

Not that I will ever say something is "too" overkill:devil:, but It is still at least feasible to EDC these light on a regular basis. I have a Oracle 35 watt that will destroy my P7 light "though properly focused the A9 out throws the Oracle:eek:" but I know real power…..(insert smiley that is much more evil and demonic then normal devil smiley) My cardboard hexagon box light will make the DEFT look like a 6D Maglite:faint:, and the ridicules mad scientist laughter is hard to control when using either "The Sun" or the 29,000 lumen Can light. However these lights "like the DEFT "which I can't afford:mecry::broke:" and the 35 watt HID, not to mention my other extremely heavy lights:crazy:" are impossible to EDC:sigh:, so until I find a cheaper more intense EDC light, these one will have to do:rolleyes:. If I had all the money in the world:naughty: I'd build a solid copper SST-90 single fully regulated 18650 IMR cell EDC light:faint::drool:, but until then I can only dream:sleepy:.

I also some times EDC my Wolf eyes M90 EO-13 light, but that's much longer then both of my other lights so I don't do that often. When camping I do wear my Oracle on my shoulder strap though:whistle:.

It seems easier to wean nonflashaholic away from cheaper lights when you show them how powerful expensive ones are. If you just act covertly "none super hero like:grin2:" and use some sort of super expensive multimode light and they ask the price, they will often think you are stupid that you wasted so much money on something so "relatively" dim:ohgeez:, I find it's easier to get them in the door with "power" and "excess", and then lead them into more particle lights once they understand the hobby better:twothumbs.

Last edited:

simmons537

Newly Enlightened
need some help between the fenix ld01 and the nitecore cr2 or the nitecore ez aa...on which one is the better one...

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
need some help between the fenix ld01 and the nitecore cr2 or the nitecore ez aa...on which one is the better one...

Yah….., I know your new, but that's thread jacking. You can't just ask random questions that do not relate to the thread your posting in:oops:. Go do some research or start a new thread if you can't find anything:welcome:.

jblackwood

Enlightened
There was this thread about a guy abusing his TK40 to the point where it didn't break but he lost it while trailing it behind his car. I wonder if other lights are built that well? I know my titanium lights would stand up to such abuse but my aluminum ones?

In THAT case, I'd imagine myself as Thor with his hammer Mjolnir. :twothumbslovecpf

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was this thread about a guy abusing his TK40 to the point where it didn't break but he lost it while trailing it behind his car. I wonder if other lights are built that well? I know my titanium lights would stand up to such abuse but my aluminum ones?

In THAT case, I'd imagine myself as Thor with his hammer Mjolnir. :twothumbslovecpf

As far as super hero like strength for a flashlight, I also like knowing my lights could withstand things that I myself could never. What makes a light truly indestructible is usually simplicity. There are many lights on the market that are completely reliable, the thing is they are often overlooked because one would assume they were anyways. Having a light like the TK40 survive grueling abuse is really quite amazing when one thinks about just what could go wrong internally "electronics, cell holder, the switch, etc" The electronic are what give these light there value through multimodes, regulation, and battery protection:twothumbs. However all of these things lead to weakness that can break during abusive use:mecry:. Lights like Minimag series "including the Mag solitaire" are basically invincible. I have done things to these lights that I can think of no other light surviving and they just keep on going, but that's because all they are is a battery tube, bulb, and a presser switch. There just isn't anything to go wrong:shrug:.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Getting a little more back to the original topic, sometimes super heroes' powers fail! (When Green Lantern's ring runs out of power, when Superman is around kryptonite, when Spider-man's depressed . . . hehe) There was one thread where a fellow flashaholic was drinking with friends and they were razzing him for spending so much money on his lights. As a response, he threw his Nitecore EX10 full force against a brick wall then turned it on. "Can your cheap lights do that?"

Later, he checked his light and the lens was cracked. He called Nitecore and they replaced it for free.

DAMN I want superpowers . . . but for now, my aspherical throwers, Ti dual beam profile, compact throwers, and supersmall powerhouses will have to do.

Just met some new friends and they asked me if we had any hobbies. When I told them about my flashlight collection, the wife asked me if I wanted the number of a therapist to help me with that obsession. She was serious!:eek:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting a little more back to the original topic, sometimes super heroes' powers fail! (When Green Lantern's ring runs out of power, when Superman is around kryptonite, when Spider-man's depressed . . . hehe)

All flashaholics have two weakness: Daylight, and a lack of money:laughing:. However the supreme ruler of flashaholics, could live in the furthest reaches of Alaska, were night last for over a month, and if he had won the lottery he could buy all the lights he wanted:crackup:.