Wild Dogs Just Killed My Friend's Cat!

BruiseLee

Enlightened
Wild Dogs Just Killed My Friend\'s Cat!

I had lunch with an old friend today, and he and his girlfriend told me at 4:00 AM two 50 pound wild dogs killed their cat. They live in a rather borderline neighborhood in Los Angeles because housing here is so expensive.

When my friend's girlfriend looked out her window and saw what was happening, my friend ran out in his underwear - that's it! - to try and save his cat. In less than 40 seconds it was all over. The dog had bitten the cat with so much force that many of the cats teeth had been forced out of its mouth.

There were two dogs. One was a German Shepherd mix.

I must tell you in the poorer neighborhoods of LA it is not uncommon to see packs of wild dogs roaming the street. They are scary. I actually saw a pack of like 6 surround a young girl and her baby in Martin Luther King Park. Luckily, some local men chased the dogs away.

I had my friend report the incident to Animal Control. I also suggested to him he keep his remaining pets locked in the house at night. I told him to report any other strays immediately to Animal Control.

I personally felt he was foolish to go after two wild dogs virtually naked. I have spoken with policemen that have put down dogs with .357's and 9mms. Even this kind of firepower they felt was too light for a charging dog. Plus, I wouldn't want to be a civilian who fired his SKS or 12 gauge pump in the City of LA, even if it was for a perfectly legit reason.

I'm thinking not just of pet safety here, but of human safety. Let's not forget the poor woman in San Francisco that was killed by those two huge attack dogs in her apartment building!

What would you do if attacked? I don't think running is much of an option - how many of us can realistically outrun a fast dog?

Two conclusions I can draw from this incident:

1) When trouble starts, you better have a plan of action thought out well in advance!

2) Whatever that plan of action may be, you had better be able to implement it within 30 seconds or less!

Bruise

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Wild Dogs Just Killed My Friend\'s Cat!

i'd climb a lamp post or get on top of a nearby car if possible....most of the encounters i've had with strays involved me backing off slowly then running off once they were out of sight. don't run when you're in view of the dogs though; that just makes them go after you right away. best if you could get a weapon of some sort...like a rock, stick, etc. i'm not sure how a bright flashlight might help deter a dog, but i won't bet my life on it unless proven otherwise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I've got a roughly 60 pound PitBull living next door to me that I am convinced wants to hurt me. We don't have the best fence up between the houses, and occasionally he will break through and be on my side.

One time I was looking down the barrel of my Makarov pistol at him about 8 feet away barking his head off in MY GARAGE!!!

I couldn't shoot. I curse myself often for being so weak.

The last folks that lived over there had two young Pits. Our little Pom got through a hole in the fence and was killed by those dogs.

I guess you can tell, I haven't got any use for Pit Bulls.

As to strays... we don't have too many around here. And my Sister rescues strays anyway.

But people REALLY need to control their damn dogs!

Oh, and really bright light, or whatever weapon I may be holding don't seem to have much effectiveness against the Pit. (unless it is a discharge weapon, and I weren't such a weeny!)

Greta

Flashaholic

I live in the middle of the freakin' desert. We have coyotes running the streets. They eat cats as appetizers for small dogs. Why do people let their animals roam free? I'm not dispassionate here but c'mon folks! If you're going to own animals... ANY KIND of animals... you keep them locked up!! When I hear that people around here let their cats come and go, I shake my head and start a pool as to how long that one is gonna last. Let me guess... the cat was declawed too, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif That's the norm around here. They declaw the cat and then let it go out. Stupid people.

Wild dogs and coyotes are a problem. I'm not arguing that. Go to the authorities. We have organized hunts here for coyotes to knock down the population when they start to get thick. The same can be done with the wild dogs. A donation to Animal Control and the Humane Society is a good idea too... or perhaps to even volunteer some of your time.

Velcro

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
BruiseLee said:I must tell you in the poorer neighborhoods of LA it is not uncommon to see packs of wild dogs roaming the street. They are scary. I actually saw a pack of like 6 surround a young girl and her baby in Martin Luther King Park. Luckily, some local men chased the dogs away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me. There are wild dogs walking around in LA? We are talking about a neighborhood in America and not in India or Burundi, right?

Velcro

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:... or perhaps to even volunteer some of your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Walking around your neighborhood going
flamethrower.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Schmoe, you shoulda let him have it...

.. seconding Sasha; DO NOT LET YOUR CATS OUT AT NIGHT.

As a new resident of these hills I learned the hard way; also around 3 or 4 AM, I heard the barking of the coyotes and never saw Connie again..
My second cat has seen the coyote walk by while perched at the window, his tail bristled and he tried to hide his body from view as much as he could, but he couldn't take his eyes off the coyote.. Now, this cat doesn't go out till he sits in the doorway for a few minutes checking things out, and he comes in by himself before sunset..!

(and yes, Velcro, there are wild dogs roaming LA.. :p )

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

joeshmoe: what you did was admirable, but if the dog had made any more advances i'd do what's necessary if i were you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

in my experience of shining a C2 at stray dogs, the animal usually just freezes for a moment and looks a little unsure of itself. i wouldn't count on that stopping a dog that's really pissed off though.

sasha: a while ago the issue of pet owners letting their pets (especially dogs) run free and attack other people was brought to light here and now such an offence warrants a hefty fine if i'm not wrong. IMO the consequences of such a thoughtless act should be more severe and should involve the police if necessary. most of the strays i've encountered are pretty docile though (mostly escaped pets).

Darkaway

Enlightened

I live on the northwestern fringe of the Los Angeles megapolis. The frontier of the housing boom is literally a block away but I can still look North and see empty hills. I run home from work late at night through those hills and I can hear the coyotes killing their prey. Sometimes it sounds like a cat. And believe it or not mountain lions still roam the area. Cattle graze parts of those hills and once in a while one is lost to large felines.

I lost a cat to coyotes. I didn't see it happen but the circumstantial evidence was there. I went to the local shelter to look for him and people there said it happens all the time. Most of my neighbors have lost cats.

I adpoted two more cats anyway. They're not declawed. They roam free during daylight hours. At dusk or before they're conditioned to come back for food. They never stay out more than a few hours at a time anyway. I still may risk losing them, but I would never keep a cat indoors all the time where they can never roll in the grass, smell the flowers or chase lizards. It's better for them to have a happier but maybe shorter life outside. If I had not adopted them they may have been euthanized anyway. It's been three years and so far so good.

I have a large enclosed yard that keeps the dog in. He always comes in at night. But I would have to build a fortress to keep the cats contained.

Greta

Flashaholic

Yeah, I guess it would be more humane to let the cats get torn apart by wild dogs or coyotes than to be given a shot and fall asleep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm missing 2 cats myself, no idea what the hell happened to them.

Kirk

Enlightened

Forget the wild dogs and coyotes killing/eating your pets; how about cars? We were coming home last Saturday and a cat ran out in front of the car. Thump, thump. No more pet kitty for some family. Not even a remote chance to swerve, and I swerve for squirrels, quail, woodpeckers, you name it. First pet I've run over in almost 30 years of driving. Now I feel like garbage because someone was not responsible enough to control their cat. Our cats NEVER go outside. Our dog is fenced or on a leash. People around here post "lost pet" signs all the time; they're not lost, they're eaten or run over and they are almost never found! Keep your critters inside!
Kirk

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

My brother is convinced an owl killed his cat. The cat was full grown but on the small side. He saw the owl in the tree the night before the cat disappeared. Seems a bit of a stretch but possible. I would tend to believe a dog or wild animal such as a coydog.

I had a paper route for several years as a kid and was bitten a few times by dogs. Always the owner said don't worry their dog doesn't bite.

Interesting they have wild dogs in the middle of a big city. In the small town where I grew up, we would have just taken matters in our own hands and shot the dogs particularly if caught chasing deer but maybe in this day and age can not get away with that any more.

Empath

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Darkaway said:
I adpoted two more cats anyway. They're not declawed. They roam free during daylight hours. At dusk or before they're conditioned to come back for food. They never stay out more than a few hours at a time anyway. I still may risk losing them, but I would never keep a cat indoors all the time where they can never roll in the grass, smell the flowers or chase lizards. It's better for them to have a happier but maybe shorter life outside. If I had not adopted them they may have been euthanized anyway. It's been three years and so far so good.

I have a large enclosed yard that keeps the dog in. He always comes in at night. But I would have to build a fortress to keep the cats contained.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you mind telling me where you got the idea that you have a right to permit your cat beyond your property? Along with having a cat comes a responsibility, not just to the cat but also to the neighbors. The difficulty in building a "fortress" is no excuse.

star882

Enlightened

"Oh, and really bright light, or whatever weapon I may be holding don't seem to have much effectiveness against the Pit."
Maybe a 15mw handheld laser will do the trick.
Of course, a high-voltage capacitor and DC/DC converter from a disposible camera are surprizingly effective.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I was going to suggest hosing down the dogs with a gun, but I see that isn't an option here. Getting a squirt gun and loading it up with household ammonia probably wouldn't work either. Probably just **** the dog off even more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Darkaway

Enlightened

Sasha, Re: your comment. I think our disagreement can be illustrated with this hypothetical scenario.

Let's say I'm a young cat in an animal shelter and I actually get to choose my fate. I'm faced with 3 choices.

1) Immediate euthanasia.

2) Adoption, but under the condition that I will spend the rest of my life in locked in a room or maybe rooms. The rest of my life will be safe and secure but I will have almost no freedom.

3) Adoption with freedom. Yes, I may be torn apart by other animals or hit by a car but then again I may survive for many years and live out my natural life. In the meantime I'll be free scratch in the dirt, hunt and live in a relatively natural state.

Personally I would choose #3. It's a reflection on how I live MY life. I can't ask my cats what they want so I have chosen for them. There is no absolute right or wrong answer here but my 100% unscientific guess is that few (cats or people)would pick #1.

Darkaway

Enlightened

[/ QUOTE ]
Empath Said:

"Would you mind telling me where you got the idea that you have a right to permit your cat beyond your property? Along with having a cat comes a responsibility, not just to the cat but also to the neighbors. The difficulty in building a "fortress" is no excuse."

[/ QUOTE ]Empath,

I don't remember writing even implying that I have a right to let my cats leave my property.

I don't "permit" my cats to go anywhere any more than I "permit" air to blow through my yard. As I said I would contain them in my yard if I could.

How do you know exactly where my cats are going anyway??? Maybe on a neighbor's property or maybe not. I have a large lot and my enclosed yard is only part of that. I also live near public property. Empath, I have been reading your posts here for over a year and I have always seen you as a pillar of fairness and objectivity. What happened????

In 25+ years of owning cats and having neighbors no one has ever complained to me. If any of my neighbors reported damage to their property by my cats I would certainly take full responsibility. Neighbor's cats are always in my yard and I happen to like them.

I don't know about Oregon but here in L.A. County it is perfectly legal to allow cats to roam at will. Leash laws do apply to dogs because they are easier to contain. I wouldn't say that gives me a "right" but apparently the laws here are on my side. Trust me on this one.

Kanai

Newly Enlightened

I have gotten chased before by stray dogs while jogging. I now carry an ASP collapsable baton. Used it once in the last year. One hit on the nose of the aggresive mutt sent him running with his tail between his legs. May not be the answer for everyone but it worked for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened

When some in our neighborhood complains about pets or the wildlife, I encourage them to move to Oregon.

This accomplishes two things. I get rid of a bitcher, and Oraegon gains another resident.

If the resident is really nasty, I suggest they go to Oregon by way of California. This really pisses off the people of Oregon.