Butane Stove for camping?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. I have one and they don't work at all in wind, butane pressure is too low.

I need to get one of those coleman liquid fuel stove.

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
If you are only cooking for one person then can I suggest a rocket stove. Small, lightweight, powerful. Also there is some really cool DIY alchol stoves that can fit in a pocket . There is also a stove called a Pocket Rocket stove that is different from both previous I mentioned. I myself like to use the rocket stove as it uses wood gas as a energy source and wood is everywhere. There is a commercial model available for bout 50 dollars. But you can build one for less then ten.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these:
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/fast-and-light-stoves/superfly-with-autostart/product
I don't use it much and haven't used it for a while, but it does work quite well. The built in piezoelectric starter is very convenient.

However, it runs on pre-compressed isobutane canisters that can't be refilled, so you have to buy a new canister every time. The larger 8 oz size is about $6. However, they are lot easier to use, since you don't have to pump anything.

You could always just bring a big maglite hotwire to cook with...

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, boiled eggs on my Borealis. :crackup:

How long do you think yo could keep those full butane cartridges around for? Like before they expire.

Illum

Flashaholic
Hmmm, boiled eggs on my Borealis. :crackup:

How long do you think yo could keep those full butane cartridges around for? Like before they expire.

butane cartridges don't expire...but like propane cartridges, it'll be a matter of time before the fitting will start to rust and it becomes hazardous to use:ohgeez:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it'd work. But if I was the one carrying all this stuff and restricting myself to pressurized fuel canisters, then this one is much lighter and smaller. I'd look around more and get one that has a smaller burner and pot supports that fold in; used to have a Coleman that would fit inside a coffee cup when folded. The stove linked in the OP is meant to keep fondue warm in the back yard or heat tea water in a city park while picnicking, where weight and size aren't the most important consideration.

Given a wider choice, an Optimus Nova would be what I'd bring. :buddies:

Last edited:

NE450No2

Enlightened
Take a hard look at MSR stoves.

They work below zero and at high altitudes, and in high wind.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Car Camping? or Backwoods camping?
I use one of these instead of the old Coleman Camping Stoves.
Remember the Green Monster with 2 burners and the red tank on the side, weighs in around 25lbs and runs on White Fuel, Uggh all the pumping.
If you are camping out of a car in a campground then this will work fine for you but you might need a wind shield if theres more than a breeze. I have a similar stove and it came in a plastic case. It works as a shield too. H-Mart carries them if you have one near you.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't suggest the one shown. I suggest an MSR Pocket Rocket if you want to use butane. It costs $40, has fast boil times, simmers, weighs under 4 oz., and works in the wind. MSR butane canisters work the best of any kind in cold weather. If you want to use white gas/Coleman fuel, try something like a MSR Whisperlite. It doesn't simmer, but it's well built and keeps getting improved. It's made to last. One type of stove to avoid is the kind that uses white gas and has the fuel tank under the burner. These stoves require priming (setting the generator on fire) and if anything goes wrong, the stove can start a fire or explode. Good white gas stoves will have a separate fuel bottle attached to the stove by a fuel line for safety. The fuel bottle sits outside of the windscreen away from the flame and can be detached in an emergency flareup to avoid an explosion. Butane canister stoves are usually safe to use with the canister under the flame unless what is sitting on the stove reflects too much heat back at the canister. In that case you'll want to buy a Brunton Stove Stand for $20 (it separates the hot stove from the fuel canister by using a fuel line). Keep in mind that stoves made for backpacking can only handle so much weight so don't try putting huge pots full of food on them. I wouldn't put more than 2 lbs. on an alcohol stove (Example:Vargo Triad XE), 4 lbs. on a butane stove (Example:MSR Pocket Rocket), or 8 lbs. on a lightweight white gas stove (Example:MSR Whisperlite). Some stoves can handle the weight such as a Primus Multifuel Stove (tested it with a stockpot full of water).

Patriot

Flashaholic

Never, if you keep them dry and free of rust. We don't have that problem out this way but I still have butane cans that I purchased 15 years ago. They work perfectly.