Safe-Light 9volt Pics and Impression

bansuri

Enlightened
I know that this may seem ridiculous to post anything about this light on a site devoted to hard-core flashoholics, but I feel that this thing has quite a bit of utility in it, even to us.
I bought 2 of these for my kids, 6 and 7 yrs old, because they LOVE flashlights as a result of my intervention at an early age. They appreciate what a nice light can do and they each have a headlamp. (Walmart-Energizer 2x1602 30hr runtime)
I wanted to get them a proper flashlight but I don't trust children to always do the right thing as it is their nature to experiment and goof around. I am afraid that modern flashlights may have enough output to damage your eyes if you look into them for even brief periods so I wanted something with a lower output emitter.
That said, let's get to the light.

Length: 3-5/16"
Width: 1-1/2"
Depth: 1-3/16" without clip or clip base added. 2-15/16 with clip.

3 user modes: Low, High, Beacon. No memory.
Glow mode is an ultra low output that is either always on or off.
The Glow mode is enabled and disabled by a 2-second Press/Hold. I read somewhere that it can remain in Glow mode for over a year but I can't verify that.

Full output is less than the Fauxton keychain lights, but not by much.
You can see in the picture of the front that it is merely an LED soldered to a board facing out the front. Easily modded I suppose.
The ON/OFF switch is the round recession on the face with the logo, as it is recessed it is doubtful this will ever get turned on accidentally.
Battery cover is removed with a coin, stays secured when tightened down.
The clip has an integrated magnet that easily supports the light when loaded with a battery.
The clip swivels 360 degrees with detents every 30 degrees. There is a hole at the end of the clip for attaching a lanyard.
The functions of the clip are thoughtful and well implemented but I feel the plastic gets a little thin on the back section. Time will tell. If the clip does fail it wouldn't be hard to replace it with a cellphone "button" style that clips on to a belt worn receiver.

The output is nothing special but I didn't expect it to be. It's actually better than their headlamps as it doesn't project a tiny shadow of the emitter out the front.
Plastic lens well protected by the rubber case that surrounds the whole light except for the battery cover.

I got mine for ~$12 at the auction site, also available from the manufacturer at safe-light.com.
It's not readily apparent what the differences are in the different models as I couldn't click past the "click your country" splash page and there isn't much info on the home page.

With all my wonderful, modern LED flashlights I still have plenty of uses for a "beater" light like this, that is, one that I'm not gonna worry if it walks away or gets lost in a drawer somewhere. My daughter loves to read before bed and the low output on this will be perfect.

I expected the light to be smaller but am glad that it's bigger. Larger size + rubber exterior = less falls.
Here are some pics for reference:

smss3q.jpg

wko4k0.jpg

2lcp838.jpg

racerford

Newly Enlightened
I think my version has an even lower low, that is a constant on mode. You hold the button down for several seconds. Eventually it goes into a mode that is a very faint "find me" level that can be seen in the dark with dark adapted eyes. I don't know if all versions have this. I think it is activated from the off position.

I don't have it with me at the momment.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
CPF is about all kinds of light, so your Safe-Light is quite welcome here, and has been discussed in the past. Do a google, cpf only, search at the top of every CPF page.

Bill

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
please verify 1 year glow mode and report back tomorrow :)

thanks for 1 of the most 'rational' posts ive seen on cpf:thumbsup:

bansuri

Enlightened
Moderators-potential merge material?

CPF is about all kinds of light, so your Safe-Light is quite welcome here, and has been discussed in the past. Do a google, cpf only, search at the top of every CPF page.

Bill
Lol! I normally use the heck out of the google search, all I could find were some mentions and and old write-up with all the pictures showing "picture not available". Also I just found something talking about the PaLight but the pictures were replaced with HTML code. I just figured in the 3 years since the last post on the other thread there may have been some changes in the light, but I couldn't see any images and I hated to do the dreaded "dead thread revival", especially with dead pic links. I really didn't look hard enough because there were posts with 2005 dates.

Perhaps a mod can merge this in to the other thread to reduce thread clutter. The best thing about this site is the low hit numbers that google search returns because the Mods do a great job of merging and policing. Nothing like getting 1500 hits on a forum search elsewhere to grind research to a halt.

Here's a link to the best return I got from search:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1138058
Perhaps a merge is in order.

BTW, I'm working on that 1 year runtime. The kids love the lights!!!! We went out searching for moles with them.

Honestly, I've gotten so lazy with the google search that I didn't even notice it was taking me to a dedicated reviews section:oops:.
I don't browse the hierarchy of the site, just use google to take me to exactly what I need. In this case, my bad, as this doesn't even belong in here. I'm just not paying enough attention lately.... sorry. I just got so excited by these cheap, underwhelming lights I had to share!
buttrock.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although it had terrible optics, I preferred the smaller form factor and pocket-ability of the original palight. For the light output, I just find the Safe-light to be too bulky and does not fit comfortably in a pocket.

Although it's over priced and the company refuses to use modern LEDs (I inquired), I like the form factor of the 9V Pak-lite.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice review, bansuri. I still find uses (especially draining smoke detector batteries) for my old Palight.

Geoff

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the original Palights. I got it sometime around 1998 I think. It was my very first LED light. The LED is now a very "angry blue" so I don't use it anymore. I tried it's successor, the Safe-Light but was not impressed. It was a bit too big, and it was all flood with no spot. Maybe I should have kept it, because I got it from Cabela's for under $5 on clearance. Oh, well.
I've since got a couple PAK-Lites with glow-tops and love 'em. They're perfect when staying in a hotel room, being easy to find in the dark.

bansuri

Enlightened
Mod for fun and necessity.

Just for fun I thought I'd throw a different LED in one of these and do some comparisons, maybe eke a l bit more light out of them. I wondered if one of the Fauxton DX keychain lights might be a little better. Not thinking it through I forgot that the DX lights are severely overdriven with 6V supplied from 2xcr2016 batteries and of course look brighter next to the Safe-Light.
Anyway, replaced one of them and halfway put it back together to test and take some beamshots. The unmodded one looked about the same with a less angry blue tint, more greenish. Then the unmodded light's LED burned out!
That is, the one that I didn't do anything to just failed right then!
I checked it with the meter and it was getting voltage to the LED so I swapped that unit out also. As such, I have no beamshots, just some during the mod shots. DX used to sell a focused beam keychain with a big, fat emitter sticking out the front. Haven't seen it lately, but I think that would be a great LED to try in one of these.
So, it was a lateral move, but I would've had to fix one of them anyway.
5 minute job.

This opens up the idea of putting some other crazy emitters and maybe even a reflector in there. I'm not done yet! Guess I'd better get 1 or 2 for myself so I don't mess up the kid's.

2itgcpx.jpg

23kxk7n.jpg

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the small fenix filter modified aspheric i made a while back fits on this thing to give an awesome beam!

Crenshaw

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have three of the Whit's end CPF versions that have been running on new Duracells for well over 12 months on the lowest setting.
Norm

GreySave

Enlightened
I keep 4 of those in the Apocalypse box for last ditch survival lighting, along with a couple of Generation II Inova X1s. Figure you can always rob smoke detectors and TV remotes for batteries.......

Actually, I break them out for power failures for house lighting until I have to fire up the generator for heat or for the refrigerator. That way they do get some use and I gradually use up some older batteries. Most of our power failures are the 30 minute to four hour variety and those lights work great for general room lighting. With dark adapted eyes there is plenty of light to navigate by.