Joined CPF 2/09; 1st purchase 9/09

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday the arrival of my first real light arrived; Surefire E1B Led.

I guess as having never had a real flashlight I had not realized how serious a messily little 80 lumens could be or how useful 5 lumens can be. Last night there was some noises out on the road outside my house..pitch black with some fog. That little 80 lumens blasted 50 yrds up/down the road. Turned out to be some teenagers walking down the road at night few seldom attempt by day. The low level is just good enough to watch the steps up back to the house.
This will be my EDC obviously...until the Lx2 arrives:devil:
My intentions are to have this E1B in pocket & LX1 in soft briefcase for work when the job requires us to enter unfamiliar/unsafe areas for crisis control.

Still need a torch to flood the yard. 1 for home one for truck:whistle:

Thanks CPF!!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You have remarkable restraint. Must have been searching/reading a lot to make your decision on what might be best for you.

Bill

ypsifly

Enlightened
Good move picking up the Backup as your first! I went through a few lights for edc before finally arriving at the E1b. This will be my edc for a long time.

Do your self a favor and get a Defender tail cap for it. It will give you the added benefits of: tail stand ability, lanyard attachment, less likely to turn on in your pocket, and it looks very cool.

You can sometimes find them at The Marketplace, or you can buy an E2D, swap TCs, buy lamps from Lumens Factory for the E2D, and have some incan fun.

Since you are going with single cell, I would suggest carrying a spare. I keep one CR123 in a pill caddy from CVS. Costs about six bucks, made from aluminum with an o-ring. Just needs a few pieces of tissue to stop rattles. They come in silver and red and if your E1B is silver, it kinda matches.

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
I might have to check out a different option as has been mentioned for tail stand ability.
Lost power today and thought that might have been a nice thing to have. :p

paintballdad

Enlightened
"Re: Joined CPF 2/09; 1st purchase 9/09"

Took you 7 months to purchase your first light after joining this niuthouse! Get with the program man! This kind of nonsense will not be tolerated. Now, go out and get a 2nd mortgage and buy more lights.
Sorry to say it but you are doomed like the rest of us.

All kidding aside, congratulations on the new light and awesome demonstraion of self-restraint. Wish I had some sometimes. And welcome to the nuthouse.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Joined CPF 2/09; 1st purchase 9/09
Wow, 7 months hanging out here, seeing all the flashlight candy, before you bought your first light?
Oh, I see . . . 7 months huh ?

And there I was thinking you'd joined 2nd September, and bought a Backup within a week ! Way to go !!

Still . . . :welcome:

NE450No2

Enlightened
kaptein

Even though I am new here too. :welcome:

By buying a Sure Fire as you first "real" flashlight, you have done two things.

First you have seen what quality, reliability and ruggedness is all about...

Second you have "doomed" your wallet, for the future, as you will probably end up as ALL Sure Fire ALL the time.

However I think ASFAT [All Sure Fire All the Time], is money saved in the long run as their stuff is the best.

I am still using the first 2 SF 6P lights that I got just after they first came out @1986/87.

I have not even had to replace the rubber tail caps.

They were both carried on duty from then to 2006, EVERYDAY.

I took them on every hunting trip in that time frame as well.

As Oscar Wilde once said...

"I have the simplest of tastes, I am ALWAYS satisified with the best."

Tac

Newly Enlightened
Seven whole months! I waited two weeks to get three Surefires.... ouch.

You must have done a lot of thinking.

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
Lx2 due to arrive on 9/21.
I'm having a feeling this E1B will be my low level/back up. Having had to use it to explore a noisey parking lot in an urban setting it just got washed out with the street lights and my aging eyes.
A 2 cell will fit nicely in my daily Bills Khakis deep pockets anyhow for EDC.