Just want to make sure I understand the Malkoff MD2

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never owned (or even held, as far as I know) a P60 host and I was playing with the idea of getting one so I can experience the joy of experimenting with the various P60 dropins.

Naturally, when researching the various P60 dropins, I ended up reading about the M60 and it's variants...which then led me to read about the MD2.

This is where I'd like some clarification: the MD2 accepts the Malkoff dropins, but even though the Malkoff dropins fit most (all?) P60 hosts, I should not think of the MD2 as a P60 host and I should not expect to be able to use any non-Malkoff dropins in the MD2, right?

Thanks!

--flatline

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I've never owned (or even held, as far as I know) a P60 host and I was playing with the idea of getting one so I can experience the joy of experimenting with the various P60 dropins.

Naturally, when researching the various P60 dropins, I ended up reading about the M60 and it's variants...which then led me to read about the MD2.

This is where I'd like some clarification: the MD2 accepts the Malkoff dropins, but even though the Malkoff dropins fit most (all?) P60 hosts, I should not think of the MD2 as a P60 host and I should not expect to be able to use any non-Malkoff dropins in the MD2, right?

Thanks!

--flatline

Right.

Bill

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...so now it becomes a question of whether or not I really do want the flexibility to try any P60 dropin.

So far, the only dropins that I've been really interested in have been the M60WL and M60WLF, so based on my current desires, I could get by happily with the MD2, but then if I ever actually get my soldering iron out and want to play with different driver boards in a P60, I'd have to get a new host...

...clearly I have some thinking to do. Part of me want to get the MD2 and M60WLF so that I can experience the legendary quality of the full Malkoff setup, but the thrifty (too clever for its own good, usually) part of me says to get the M60WLF and put it in a cheap Solarforce L2 host (or something similar...haven't really investigated hosts much yet).

I think I saw a P60 host thread linked from the P60 dropin thread. I'll go spend some time learning about hosts. Experience says that I'll be happier if I spend more up front on something worth having than saving some $$$ upfront and getting something that I'll end up replacing later.

--flatline

dirtech

Enlightened
I really appreciate the full malkoff setup, but I like having a plan old p60 host as well cuz I can tinker with cheap drop ins. So I say get one of each:twothumbs.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
...clearly I have some thinking to do

Keep in mind, this isn't a long term commitment. You've got the CPFM cool stuff transfer system. You can get the MD2 this month and provided it says looking good, can expect to sell it 3 months later for most of what you paid.

Sort of like a flashlight library!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may also want to consider what switch style you prefer.The 6P has a tactical twisty and the MD2 has a forward clicky.As far as quality goes the Malkoff MD2 is in the same class as the 6P IMHO.