Nitecore D10 R2 problem

moon88

Newly Enlightened
Ive had my Nitecore D10 R2 for about a month now. But all of a sudden it does not turn off anymore. The light stays on at a single brightness level and will not turn off. I cannot use the ramp up/down feature anymore.

I talked to 4sevens, got an RMA# and have sent the light back. I even asked 4sevens to send me a new light instead of trying to repair the old one. clearly there was something wrong with my light.

anywayz, did someone else have this problem??

do you think i should stick with the D10 R2?

any help would be appreciated

p.s - D10 is my first EDC and thats why im a lil upset that it stopped working after just 1 month :(

sygyzy

Enlightened
Don't worry this is not unusual. Despite it's popularity (I own two myself), the PD system is heavily flawed. It gets stuck like this all the time.

Try the following:

1. Unscrew the light and take a small screwdriver and pivot the brass ring on the bottom inside of the head around a little bit.

2. Also try pushing the brass ring down a couple of times at a couple of spots.

3. Remove the internal cyclinder (the end of which is the button you press for activation) and then reseat it back into the battery tube.

Now try your light again.

You may also try:

4. Changing the type/brand of cell. Try alkaline, lithium, rechargeable, etc. The slight variances affect the PD system.

fiorano

Newly Enlightened
Also, when the light is apart wipe off all the old lube on the threads, piston and o-rings and re-lube with a good synthetic grease.

moon88

Newly Enlightened
well guys i tried to open and relube it but no luck. there was defnitely a problem with the micro processor. I've already sent it back to 4sevens and will hopefully get a new replacement one. i really dont like the idea of "repairing" a flashlight since it can cause problem down the road.

but have you guys have good/bad experience with 4sevens customer service? would they send me a new light or not?

waiting for some help from the cpf people !

kwkarth

Enlightened
I have a D10GD that has the same problem. Usually a hard reset (Unscrewing the head completely, and putting it back on.) fixes the issue for a while, but it can re-appear several times a day. I called and received an RMA from 4Sevens, but my problem is that their customer service is SO good, that I haven't sent the flashlight in yet. So don't worry, their customer service is top notch!!

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
I have a problem with my D20: it will turn on by minimal shaking. I tried to push the brass ring a little bit after I saw this post. Then the brass ring fell off! Is it screwed on or glued on the bottom of the tube? I didn't see any glue residue on it, and I didn't saw anything looks like broken.

Last edited:

potatoheadUK

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar Issue with My D10 R2 .

The Brass "Piston" ring ended up slightly crooked at the point at where the split is, it became offset catching on the threads and did all manner of crazy things. Mine just suddenly started doing random things including flickering, self ramping & staying permanently on.

After consulting with NitecoreUK gently rotating the ring 180 degrees so it's level and sits below the line of the threads sorted it out. Haven't had a problem since

Also definitely change the grease and do the de-oxit ritual. The stock lube seems to be Uber Sticky for some reason, and my brass contacts were quite dirty out of the box.

Last edited:

moon88

Newly Enlightened
Hummm.The D10 was to be my next light. Now im not so sure.

4Sevens has already shipped my light back and its on the way. They are sending me a new one in return. I hope that this one will not have any problems.

Ill let you know when i get it.... but i seriously loved the light when i had it. Best flashlight ever. :thumbsup:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Hummm.The D10 was to be my next light. Now im not so sure.

All mass-produced technological items can have their occasional problems and flashlights are no exception. This can happen with any make, and if you did a search, you'd probably turn up a few difficulties with any light that you were thinking of buying.

As moon88 has reported, so long as you buy from a good dealer, they will take care of you anyway.

The D10 is one of the most popular and highly regarded lights here and rightly so. I wouldn't let reports of the occasional problem put you off.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
I had the same problem with my D10 R2. I got it when they first came out with the R2. I sent it back to 4sevens, and they replaced the head which contained the faulty electronics.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
All of them ? That's a bit of a sweeping statement.

I'm sorry that you had problems with yours, but I have two that have worked flawlessly for many months so it simply isn't true that "all" of them have issues. Many others have had excellent experiences with the Nitecores, making the PD lights one of the most popular on these boards.

It's a shame that you've had a bad experience - exactly what was wrong with your light ?

Last edited:

potatoheadUK

Newly Enlightened
Just to qualify my first post on this, I haven't had a single problem with my D10 R2 since speaking to flashaholics, and it wasn't an electronics problem, merely the piston ring out of alignment catching i=on the threads.

I still trust my D10 for general illumination EDC, more so than I do their clickies.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I ordered my D10GD I ordered two at the same time. I sold the other to a friend. Now he tells me that the light has started to turn on by itself. Is this problem caused by the same reason like the light doesn't turn off?

MAILLIW

Newly Enlightened
I have the same problem here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCmpeV0dTFs

I contacted batteryjunction whom I bought it from, no help, all they said was use a AA battery less than 50mm. I have no idea which AA is less than 50mm cause arnt they ALL 50mm?? what battery do people usually use with the D10? thanks

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of the genius of the D10 is just HOW easily you can disassemble and reassemble it if the need arises. Just look it up on Youtube - there are videos of people pulling the heads out, reflectors out, etc with only a screwdriver. It's a very utilitarian little light and you can take mine from my cold, dead fingers. Which'll be fine because I have a backup one in my collection. :nana:

Ill let you know when i get it.... but i seriously loved the light when i had it. Best flashlight ever. :thumbsup:

Agreed, despite buying a new AA seemingly every week, it's the only one that gets clipped to my pocket everyday before I leave the house.

Boris

Newly Enlightened
Mine had the same problem. it wasn't the ring. one of the chips got off in the solder. i soldered it again, and started working again for a few days. then was the other side. i tried to save it, but i couldn't. now i have the body on my desk. i didn't send it back because it cost me a lot to send it from my country.

Latest posts