making money proposition exposed while getting gas???opinions please

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at the gas station, getting gas and this guy walked over from another pump and was asking me about my truck, we spoke about gas milage, and i said how long i can make 60 bucks last as i live and work very local, then he says are you looking to make some extra money, i said always, he gave me his card for the business GDBGROUP.COM. He said he will call me and set up an appointment where we can meet at starbucks and he will bring his laptop to show a short movie to see if i meet the requirements...He was dressed in shorts and a t shirt, as its a weekend day..hes like i an very dressed down today. seemed like a nice guy. i am still looking at the website. what do you think.!!

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Every single time someone has approached me in public with a similar job offer, it has been some sort of pyramid marketing scam. Go ahead and waste his time and get a free Starbucks, but there is no job in the world that requires you to pay before getting paid.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I was at the gas station, getting gas and this guy walked over from another pump and was asking me about my truck, we spoke about gas milage, and i said how long i can make 60 bucks last as i live and work very local, then he says are you looking to make some extra money, i said always, he gave me his card for the business GDBGROUP.COM. He said he will call me and set up an appointment where we can meet at starbucks and he will bring his laptop to show a short movie to see if i meet the requirements...He was dressed in shorts and a t shirt, as its a weekend day..hes like i an very dressed down today. seemed like a nice guy. i am still looking at the website. what do you think.!!

Looks like the typical Pyramid Cult of Amway approach. No straight up, legitimate business needs to hide everything like that. They paid extra to even hide their domain registration.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'm still waiting for my Dream Job . . . .

" Get Paid for Testing Flashlights at Home, in your Spare Time ".

:candle: (Hmmm -- not very Bright)

" Perform Flashlight Run-Time Testing, at Home, While you Sleep ".

:sleepy: (Don't bother me -- i'm working)

_

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a scam to me. When you click on "partners", they just show you pictures of nicely dressed people with fancy music playing in the background. But no names. What gives? They don't even tell you what the company actually does. Probably because they want to get you cornered in a "meeting" before you find out what they're really about, knowing most people would run at the first hint of what it is they really do.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is like those tourist traps where you can pan for gold. If there were any real quantity of gold in the sluice, you would not be allowed near there.

They just want your money. If there were any real money in it, you would not be needed.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every single time someone has approached me in public with a similar job offer, it has been some sort of pyramid marketing scam. Go ahead and waste his time and get a free Starbucks, but there is no job in the world that requires you to pay before getting paid.

This has been my experience as well. I looked into Amway years back when a friend presented it to me. While not illegal I did not like the pyramid structure. Basically I make money off the hard work of the people under me while the people over me made money off me and the people under me.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was invited to join up with amway long ago and after reading their literature I figured out instead of selling stuff and making money you were better off finding people to sell stuff while you did nothing. All this middleman to the extreme costs money to the buyer and makes the products at times cost more than buying similar stuff at sears etc.
Anyone that cannot tell you in their own words about a business proposition enough for you to get an idea what it is about I would not waste my time with it especially if it is a stranger because as P.T. Barnum one said "There is a sucker born every minute."

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you all very much for the responses, but i figure i'll give the guy 10 minutes. But if it involves much "middle man" stuff. i'll have to pass, as i stated in another post i am trying to start a buisness and have to get alot more info together so i can get started. And i know..."if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

Wattnot

Enlightened
It's not even worth the free coffee. Stay away. The fact that you're asking anyone about this means this guy might be able to hard sell you. These people will make you feel STUPID for NOT buying into their schemes. I saved my neighbors from getting sucked into one of these scams very recently. Theirs was team nation or something like that. They were a buying club (that I was able to match or beat ANY of their deals) but to join you had to pay $2500 !!! Of course there was the pyramid that they denied was a pyramid. Then the couple presenting this garbage proceeded to draw a pyramid. It was hilarious.

Here is where it pays to be cynical!

Stay away. I'll buy you a Starbucks.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, I remember when I was young and dumb I went to one of these. They even had a rented office with real computers with fancy cars on the screen (that supposedly they owned [by making millions of dollars a day doing nothing] funny that there where no ferraris in the parking lot:thinking:). They even had some corporate rockstar god they all worshiped who, lo and behold, luckily came down from the heavens that day and that day only. And would you believe my luck, he even gave a presentation, complete with plants in the audience saying things like "What do we have to do to harness this incredible opportunity?" "Really only two hundred dollars for this once and a lifetime, today and today only, super-duper, incredible, once in a million years opportunity." "Wow, what a truly generous, ambitious, and altruistic corporate rock god you are." Heck everybody even had to wear ties, talk about foot-in the door. So of course I did the only rational thing and bought in immediately... So who want's some kool-aid? It's automatic transmission fluid flavored.:naughty:

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is very little information about them online yet their website says they do a lot of business with fortune 500 companies..

I call BS.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Oh here ya go. He also grabbed CDBGroup.biz which loads the same graphics (& www.thegdbgroup.com) . You can just call him and ask him what's up. Here is his MySpace page. Here is another series of posts using that same URL claiming it is "network marketing" which is what Amway calls it.

Here is their Twitter page. On that page is a link to "3Kees" which has numerous "independent" comments linking to Carol Bachynski, 3 million independent distributors, and links to Nutrilite nutrition products which are a part of Amway. Here is another Google hit on CDBGroup that goes to "Saylor Enterprises" which has the same links under products going to Amway stuff. There are all kinds of these canned website setups sold to new members, and they interlink among their selling group.

Funniest one for me was walking along the boardwalk in Atlantic City, and got sucked into a timeshare promo. It took me almost 3 hours to get out of there.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
In my younger, more stupid days, I spend a ridiculous amount of time sending away for info on all these types of schemes. I still have a folder in my file cabinet ironically labeled "Money making opportunities". Total oxymoron if you ask me. More like give me $50 so I can tell you how I made money by telling others to give me $50 to learn how to get other naive souls to part with $50. And pretty much the same with the multilevel marketing schemes, except you actually do sell a product somewhere down the line. Thankfully, time was all I wasted. After reading enough of these information packets, they all sounded pretty repetititous. Sure, the first one who invented it got rich because he/she was on top of the pyramid. Most of the others will be lucky is they earn back the money the program cost them.

If you want to go for the free coffee, then go ahead. Just don't waste more than maybe 10 minutes of your time unless the guy is actually saying something which really makes sense (and doesn't ask you for money up front). If you have a cell phone than maybe arrange for a family member to call you 10 minutes after the meeting starts with an "emergency".

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Go to Starbucks, get a cup of coffee on him, listen to his B.S., say you need 24 hours to think about it and that you'll contact him tomorrow.

Then just walk out. End of story.

(He's clearly pulling a scam on you).

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem is, the "scammer" already has his phone number. Now he may just keep calling, pestering the heck out of him day after day.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
set up a meeting and then in your place send some jehovah witnesses ,then see who can sell who :laughing:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way I see it, the only way to get good money for easy work is to cheat someone (at least on the pay:work ratio!) - and since the guy you were talking to has a head start, guess who will be getting cheated right off the bat? Let us know how it went!