Intrinsically Safe LED

VegasSteve777

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to purchase Nitecores D20. It's a gift for my son who works at the Gas Company. This light has just what he needs, 150+ lumens, the right length at about 6'', powered by AA's since he's supplied with freebees at work, etc. The deal breaker is when he told me before I surprise him with a replacement for his tired out old mini mag light, to make sure that it's 'Intrinsically Safe". Being in homes and attics with gas leaks.... Can't have any sparking flashlights about.

Is this Nitecore safe??

Is there another light like this one that is??

Thanks,
~Steve~

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a couple of "I S" rated lights.

http://www.reliabilitydirectstore.com/Intrinsically-Safe-Miniature-Flashlight-p/eco-as002020.htm

http://www.reliabilitydirectstore.com/Intrinsically-Safe-LED-Flashlight-p/eco-as002000.htm

http://www.reliabilitydirectstore.com/Intrinsically-Safe-LED-Flashlight-p/eco-as002010.htm

Didn't see any AA based I S lights listed here.

I also found that StreamLight makes I S rated lights but couldn't find exactly which models.

Do you know the exact hazard class certification he needs, seems like there are many levels of cert.

bansuri

Enlightened
Personal, non-professional opinion: I would trust one in that environment unless I was doused in gasoline. However, I'm sure that there is certification required for this type of application and it would be an issue if there ever was an explosion.
Here's the google results I got, lot's of brand sites selling that specific type of light. Probably gonna cost a bit more than a Nitecore.
You'd have to let the O-rings get pretty bad for enough gas to get by them, and you wouldn't be able to breath with that high of concentration....but....
Looking around I saw a couple for less than $200. Some were afraid to list the price and you have to contact them for pricing. LOL!

Last edited:

hoffmand

Newly Enlightened
The gas company was fixing a leak in my neighborhood a few nights ago. I walked down there with my new 3D Rebel Mag to see what all the noise was. There were 3 gas company employees, one working the backhoe and two shining yellow drugstore flashlights into the hole. I shined my Maglite into the hole and they all stopped working and made comments about the sun rising. I offered to leave it for them but they were finishing up. Pretty sad that a regular guy out walking has a light 10x brighter than the ones their company supplies, and they're risking their lives digging for gas leaks in the middle of the night.

Funny part is I asked if they had special teeth on their backhoe so they wouldn't create any sparks while they dug for gas leaks. They said nope, and I decided it was a good time to head home. They would have looked at me like I had 3 heads if I mentioned "Intrinsically Safe". :thinking:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Most of the metal lights are not gonna be IS-rated without some "IF and ONLY-IF" conditions. Main reason why durable poly-material are used in most of the IS-rated lights.
It is a basic requirement that the equipment do not create any kind of sparks when drop or come in contact with other materials. Some safety manual actually require the light to be securely attached to the user at all times.
IS equipments will need to be periodically check and maintain as any change in condition, even a small crack-line will void the equipment's IS rating. Sadly, this is often overlook due to cost issue. :green:
Btw, fwiw, one not supposed to do any battery change while in those hazardous zones (e.g. Zone 1 or Div 1) :devil:
my 0.02 lumens

to OP, no, none of the current NiteCore offerrings are IS-rated. You will be better off with Streamlight or Pelican and look for those with Class 1 Div 1/Div 2 approvals. :)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're going to be a bit disappointed with your intrinsically safe options. First, most of these lights can't be metal because dropping them can cause sparks. Second, they can't be very highly powered because that causes unsafe levels of heat in an explosive environment. You're not going to find one that puts out 150 lumens. I'd suggest a Princeton Tec EOS II headlight. It's got a 50 lumen high and a 10 lumen low. It's class 1 division 1 rated. It will still be brighter than his maglite.