Surefire clarificaion: R60 & old LOTC

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
So when I got my EKSF C2 HA-BK I opened it up and it has a "Laser Products" R60. The label is green and has a black stamp on the outside of the reflector that says "made in Mexico" I guess is shouldn't be surprised that SF outsourced lamps to mexico earlier on. Can any one shed some light on the R60? I don't think there is a difference to a P60 right?

Also I picked up a mint cond old laser products tailcap. The ones hat have the lanyard ring at the back of the tailcap. What I don't understand is that the tailcap does not have any springs or contacts inside. It is just a rubber gasket how is this tailcap is supposed to work.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would hazard a guess that its an old rechargable bulb.I seem to recall somewhere that Surefire's old rechargable bulbs had the distinction R somewhere in their name

but youre going to need size15s on this one

Crenshaw

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a 50 Lumen bulb designed for use with the old 6R's and the like, and was designed for use with the B65 Rechargeable Battery...SF decided the P60 would work fine...not sure that's there's much more difference than that. The P60 is also listed as having 50 lumens of out-put when used with the B65...being under-driven a little? My B65's max out at ~5.8 volts, where as two fresh CR123's are about 6.5...that may be where the 10 lumen loss comes from?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok cool. Still need to figure out the old tailcap. Also what significance is there in a SF s/n starting with the letter "B" rather than the usual "A"?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't know why that C2 came with an R60. I'd replace it asap.
It's not a good idea to run the R60 on two SF123As since its main purpose was to be powered by the B65 NiCad battery stick.

That aside, it was Carley, the bulb manufacturer that had to out-source production, on occasion, from it's USA factory to it's Mexico factory in order to meet demand. The Lamp Assembly components still came from SureFire's USA manufacturing facilities.

With regards to the SureFire Z21 Closed End TailCap - it should have a metal switch contact assembly (including a spring contact). This is loose in the TailCap as they all were at this time.

Sounds like both things you purchased were not new sealed in the factory packaging?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Reading your reply and thinking back there is a possibility that the Z21 was not actually supplied with the switch contact assembly because the flashlight (6P etc) would have had one and it was simply a matter of swapping over the TailCap housings.

Of course now-a-days finding a switch contact assembly is likely to be pretty difficult unless you can find a really old SureFire that has one...

If I can find the Z21 manual I'll check on this.

Al

Edit:

Model Z21 Closed End Tail Cap with Lanyard Ring User Manual (Revision A 8-1-95)

Introduction
The Closed End Tail Cap with Lanyard Ring replaces the Tail Cap on 6P & 9P Flashlight. The Closed End Tail Cap makes the flashlight waterproof so that it can be used under water. The Lanyard Ring provides for attaching a lanyard to the flashlight.

Installation
1. Remove the Tail Cap and Switch from the Flashlight Body (not supplied).
2. Install the Switch into the Closed End Tail Cap and screw the Tail Cap onto the Flashlight Body.
3. This completes the installation.

Note:
The Closed End Tail Cap already has a rubber cap installed in it, DO NOT remove the rubber cup from the old Tail Cap and install it into the Closed End Tail Cap.

-
So there we have it. Good luck with find the switch contact assembly

Al :)

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Good to know thanks Al. Also can you shed some light onto a M2 with s/n starting with "B"?
I gather that when SureFire were transitioning to a larger manufacturing facility they had two facilities running concurrently for a short while. "B" was used so that the same model (for example an M2) didn't have the an already used serial number as a previously sold M2.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Switch contact assembly FOUND!!! My old NTI#88 6Z came in today. I took off the tailcap and sure enough, the switch contact assembly my fell right out. Luckily I had my lanyard ring tailcap in my backpack and sure enough it works.

The 6Z came with a lanyard ring around the body of the light but it looks lime the lanyard ring was too big so the slack was taken up by another lanyard attachment point. Will post pics tonight.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 6Z came with a lanyard ring around the body of the light but it looks lime the lanyard ring was too big so the slack was taken up by another lanyard attachment point. Will post pics tonight.
Perhaps it is a Z12 (for the bezel-end) rather than a Z26 (for the TailCap-end)?

Latest posts