Lithium Ion Advances: Where do I look?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
So we all know the 18650 recently found a new technology in it. Giving it 2600mah. Whatever that means.

I'm trying to find out if the same is planned for the 17670. I have no idea where to look and a search finds nothing.

Any word? Rumors? Links? Ideas?

Having the capabilities of a regular 18650 in a battery I can put in my lights without having to bore them is something to look forward too. Even though I would then wonder why I didn't bore them anyway and get even better performance.

Best to not think like that :)

DM51

Flashaholic
I'm not sure it was new technology that enabled AW to increase the capacity of his 18650 cells from 2,200mAh to 2,600mAh - it was a refinement of existing technology. Nevertheless, it is an increase in capacity of ~18%, which is very welcome.

I'll leave SilverFox and other experts to comment on whether further improvements are likely to arise incrementally in the same sort of way, or in major new technological developments.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure it was new technology that enabled AW to increase the capacity of his 18650 cells from 2,200mAh to 2,600mAh - it was a refinement of existing technology. Nevertheless, it is an increase in capacity of ~18%, which is very welcome.

I'll leave SilverFox and other experts to comment on whether further improvements are likely to arise incrementally in the same sort of way, or in major new technological developments.

That's what I meant. I haven't kept up with battery technology in any way since day one. Now I'm finally looking towards rechargeables and wondering what's up.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
So we all know the 18650 recently found a new technology in it. Giving it 2600mah. Whatever that means.

I am under the impression that AW just found another reliable manufacturer that does Li-ion cells, and in this case, 2600mAh ones.