I like my G2 LED's, except...

jackson5

Newly Enlightened
for my non-gun use flashlights I have sworn off the twist tail caps, instead favoring click tail caps or the click switch on the side of the tube.

For my everyday utility use flashlights I find myself constantly reaching for my yellow or green G2's, one with malkoff M60L and the other with cheapo overseas led drop in. Or one of my four propoly streamlights though these get second choice because they are a little bigger in size.

I absolutely love the Nitrolon in the G2 - perfect size, robust, cool in the heat, warm in the cold, easy on the mouth/lips. The led is 'bright enough' for utility work. And equally important is the bright colors available. I can spot those yellow things easily in my tool box, in the truck, on the job site etc.

Another thing that is important to me is agressive antiroll attributes. I don't need the light rolling off the workbench/tailgate/racecar/hoist or anywhere else when I set it down. I had an Inova bolt which had nice big anti-roll flats that worked wonderfully but the thing died the first time it got knocked off the hoist (6' drop to concrete).

Speaking of drop resistance, Both the G2 with the malkof and the G2 with cheapo drop-in have sustained multiple drops from the hoist with no ill affects. The propoly's don't seem quite as robust in this regard.

So in short, what I would like is a G2 type LED with clicky switch either tail cap or on body, all color matched, all nitrolon/poly/plastic (no alum head), good anti-roll, and no need to mod to achieve these requirements.

What off-the-shelf options do I have for a light like this?

Thanks

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I can offer no help with the no mod option.
The Netkidz clicky does install easy and work very well however.

Happy hunting.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I agree with the netkidz clicky option if they are still available. You already love your lights, get the clicky and you'll love them that much more.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they come in yellow and green?

Why sure they do, that is if you own a yellow or OD green G2. If you are planning on getting the Netkidz clicky, you need to install the switch yourself. Its pretty simple, start by taking out the stock G2 tailcap guts and then putting in the the clicky switch.

arioch

Enlightened
So what you want is:
1.) G2 type LED
2.) clicky switch either tail cap or on body
3,) all color matched
4.) all nitrolon/poly/plastic (no alum head)
5.) good anti-roll
6,) no need to mod to achieve the above requirements.

Have you looked at the new Streamlight PolyTac Tactical LED Flashlight? It seems to fit all of your requirements except for possibly #5 (I don't own one, but looking at the picture of it, it does not look like it has an anti roll feature).

1,) looks like Streamlight's answer to the G2 LED.
2.) has what sounds like a forward clicky.
3.) comes in banana yellow. WHEEE! Peanut butter jelly time ...
4.) nylon polymer body.
5.) see above ...
6.) out of box.

Not listed as a requirement, but:

7.) list price of about $40.00 is kind of nice (for a Streamlight product).
8.) seems adequately bright. Although 120 lumens is not the brightest LED light out there, it should be fine for the uses you have stated (toolbox, truck, jobsite).

As you already have experience with Streamlight products, you should be familiar with their decent quality, along with their warranty.

Good luck in your search ... :)

jackson5

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately there are no more of the clicky tailcaps left it seems.

The polytac might be an option. As you point out it doesn't look to have much anti-roll provision but maybe I could hit the bezel on the belt sander and make some flats on it... :)

Are there some forum supporting vendors that I could order from?

Thanks

Streamlight_PolyTac_Flashlight.jpg