Wanted: LED flashlight with constant light

Doctor

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am looking for a nice led flashlight. I want to use the flashlight with rechargeable batteries. It is really important, that the driver supports a constant voltage level for constant light :twothumbs

Which of the following flashlights supports that:

• Fenix TK 11
  • Eagle Tac T20C2
  • Jetbeam III Pro ST R2
  • Surefire ???
I have already a Quark AA as EDC.

Now I want a flashlight with a good throw. And I can only choose of the listed brands above.

What is you recommendation?

Regards,
Doctor

Lumenz

Enlightened
I have a Fenix TK11. It has a very bright white hot spot but the beam is a little ringy. It doesn't bother me since I am using it as a shotgun light but that type of beam does bother some people.

bigpurpleseaturtle

Newly Enlightened
There is someone on this forum with a Zepelin mod and their center Led has a dim constant glow. Maybe some of the veterans know who i am talking about I have always been curious as to how this is done.

crockett

Newly Enlightened
Also, be aware that if your battery choice is 18650 that the T20C2 will NOT be regulated in turbo mode.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Doctor,

I own several Fenix lights, including the TK-11, as well as several Surefire lights, including 6P and 9P. Given the choices you have listed, I would definitely go with the TK-11, which outthrows the Surefire lights by a substantial margin. Its beam is slightly "ringy" when used indoors, but outdoors it is not at all bothersome. However, you may wish to consider the Fenix TA-21, which will do everything the TK-11 will do and a good deal more.

Good hunting!

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK11R2 or Eagletac T100C2 work well. I own both, runtimes are amazing, regulated full output to almost 3 hours. Fenix is overall brighter with more intense spill, eagletac has tighter hotspot and less ringy beam.

Don't get surefire if you want fully regulated and long runtime with rechargeables.

The T20C2 is not regulated with 18650, and I'm pretty sure the strobe will annoy you. You must wait few seconds before you turn the flashlight on for the second time or it will enter strobe mode.

Don't know much about the jetbeam regulation, but I know the runtime and brightness are not even close to the TK11 or T100C2.

I prefer the TK11, it is better built, brighter, the anodyzing is less prone to scratches and its more compact (believe it or not). Get it before too late.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
the tk11 and t20c2 are not regulated one a single cell.

jetbeam only supports 1 cells, so yes.

Toaster

Enlightened
Fenix TK 11 - Fully regulated on 2xRCR123 only
Eagle Tac T20C2 - Fully regulated on 2xRCR123 only
Jetbeam III Pro ST R2 - Believe this was only offered with the BVC circuit so fully regulated on 2xRCR123 only
Surefire - Poor support for li-ons. Some will accept RCR123 cells and offer full regulation. Others will not.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should clarify...

TK11 Q5 doesnt have regulation with 18650, but TK11 R2 is regulated. You can still get the R2 version @ ebay

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i own a Jet III Pro ST, runs on 18650 only and use it with a Trustfire protected 18650, it gives constant brightness on max till the protection circuit cuts in and it just dies off instantly, no dimming whatsoever. Is that what you were looking for?

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Doctor,

I am curious why you want to restrict yourself to just the brands listed. The Ra Clicky is well known to have one of the flattest brightness curves available - if not the flattest - i.e., constant light output. It also automatically detects the type of battery (primary versus rechargeable) and properly handles each type of battery.

You should note that a constant voltage is the worst way to drive an LEDs as LEDs are not stable in voltage over temperature changes. This is particularly important at high power levels where thermal runaway can take place.

The best possible regulation method for LEDs is constant power because it automatically compensates for temperature. HDS Systems/Ra Lights is the only company to employ constant power driver circuitry. HDS Systems has employed constant power regulation for the last 6 years. The other companies use some form of current regulation.

Henry.

chef4850

Enlightened
hey Henry, i just purchased one of your light - edc executive - although I do not have it as of yet I am eagerly awaiting its arrival!

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
I should clarify...

TK11 Q5 doesnt have regulation with 18650, but TK11 R2 is regulated. You can still get the R2 version @ ebay

Hope I don't cound as advertising more than the previous guy :D
4sevens seems to also have them still stocked...