4D mag mod recommendations

joel95ex

Newly Enlightened
What should I do to my old 4D maglite? I would like to use 4D alk . I saw a K2 uwon LED mod, but it was a few years old. I am looking for at least 200lm output with good runtime. I don't care if it is Direct drive or uses a driver, but I just want it to be reliable. I am a newbie, but just unsure of which components..Please recommend the components and set-up ie; which LED, resistor(if needed) and/driver. Any infor would be greatly appreciated..... BTW this was brought on by a lousy nite-ize drop-in and the purchase of a fenix pd30 which made it clear that the 4D mag was horrible.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Gene's drop-in sounds like what you want. They're almost always out of stock, but you can also mod your 4D maglite this to achieve similar if not same performance. That nite-ize is more suited for long runtime than high output.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't go wrong with a Malkoff product.

Make sure your D Mag has a serial number that begins with the letter "D".

If you want to build the mod yourself, then a Mag is a good starting host to try your hand at mod'ing. Parts cost will be about the same as what you'd pay for the Malkoff Mag drop-in.

I'd go with a Seoul P4 U2SWOH-bin LED from a vendor like Photonfanatic; a D Mag P4 heat sink from someone like LiteMania, H22A/DHS, or Britelumens; some Teflon-jacketed wire from mudman cj (if he has any left, 24 or 26 gauge should be fine); and an SOB1000 buck driver from The Sandwich Shoppe. I'd stick with the stock Mag reflector and just trim off the cam. I'd also swap out the plastic window for a Borofloat one from flashlightlens.com. You will also need some Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive (epoxy), available from Photonfanatic and The Sandwich Shoppe, among others.

Greg G

Enlightened
Sounds like a good time for a Seoul P7 mod. :nana:

Seoul P7 - Photonfanatic (He has some DSVNI's)

P7 Heatsink - H22A

P7 Reflector - DX or Kaidomain

The 3 D alkaline P7's I've built in direct drive pushed about 2 amps with a I bin P7. I don't know what the 4th D alkaline cell would push the current to, but it might be still under 3 amps. If it's over that you can add a resistor.

joel95ex

Newly Enlightened
OK, so p4 or P7....i saw there is a big price difference between the two. How do they compare in terms of lumens ? do I measure amps witht the stack of batteries or in the mag tube.....i am assuming that as long as I stay under the amps for which the p7 or p4 is rated, I am ok? Sorry to sound so ignorant....i am brand new and trying to get the hang of all of this!! probably go with an h22 sink and direct drive. if i put in a buck driver, does this allow different "levels" with a stock mag switch?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
since its a 4D you could build, 623, any number of P7 up to 4, or a really log run-time with single R2.