The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's good at Target?

Flashaholic

Default So what's good at Target?

I have a Target gift card so I'm looking to purchase a decent flashlight from them for a camping trip this weekend. I noticed they have a good selection of Inova and Dorcy flashlights as well as some others (River Rock, Life Gear, Energizer). I'm not looking for a specific size or brightness, mostly a good bang for buck kind of deal. What do you guys suggest? My only restriction is it has to be powered by the more common batteries (no lithiums).

Thanks,

Dan

Default Re: So what's good at Target?

At the Targets around here they carry the little River Rock 3 aa lantern. Not a flashlight, but good bang for the buck IMO.

Yeah get that lantern and read up on the Inovas here before you buy. Ah but I see the no lithiums part.
    Thinking

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    Yeah get that lantern and read up on the Inovas here before you buy. Ah but I see the no lithiums part.
    Thinking
    Inova's Bolt series has a 2AA and 2AAA light, and don't forget the X1.
    Aren't flashlights cool?
    Carry a flashlight, and you'll have a bright future.

I have an X0 and I love it. It is very durable but only has one mode. It gives you a momentary on option as well.

I'd say I would get the new Maglite 2AA flashlight with the multimode, and strobe functions. Or a Maglite 2D Rebel.

I recommend Maglite because I know it will last you a very very long time. I couldn't say the same for the other brand's durability...

I don't see a size limit so take a look at the 2 C cell High Gear. It has at least one good review and it's not very expensive.

Flashaholic*

no one mention the energizer aa or 2aa with variable brightness??

Quote Originally Posted by Ragiska View Post
    i saw those on saturday; i too was wondering why no one else had mentioned them. they looked very intriguing. i almost bought one. from what i remember, there were 3 different kinds. i think there's one that uses 4 cells. AA or AAA, my memory won't tell me.

pretty cool looking!
    If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

The Brinkmann Q-Beam Big Max Rechargeable 3 Million MaxPower spot/flood light $40 at Target is an excellent spotlight, and is extremely powerful with amazing throw.

I know you are not specifically looking for a large spotlight like this, but I am just making this suggestion in case you are considering getting a spotlight for any reason, as it would be a great choice.

To me, the little River Rock 2AAA light is still hard to beat from a bang/buck standpoint. Even after acquiring many other more powerful, more complex, (and more expensive!) lights, that one still impresses me with its efficiency and simplicity. It's like 10 bucks! I mean, how can you go wrong!

I got one at Costco including the new headlamp for 35 bucks, my target wants 39 for the AA light alone, IMHO it is not worth that.
    It is not a bad light but you can do much better with 39 bucks elsewhere.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by Beamhead View Post
    I got one at Costco including the new headlamp for 35 bucks, my target wants 39 for the AA light alone, IMHO it is not worth that.
    It is not a bad light but you can do much better with 39 bucks elsewhere.
    I was looking at this combo at Costco,so far are you happy with it for the price.Like you say $18.each vs $39. for the flashlight alone seems like a good deal.

I think the best light they carry that is NOT
    lithium is the Inova Bolt 2AA.
    My flashlight collection HERE

As hard as it is to admit, the new Mini Maglite LEDs (with the Rebels) are surprising good. I just picked one up at my local Walmart (the 2AA model), but I think I've seen them at my local Target as well. For ~$21, it is definitely a good light.

There is a running discussion found here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=221793

Have fun on your camping trip!

-Robert

Just get a couple of Brinkmann Armormax 1AA's. At $14 they are more than adequate for any camping trip. Small,powerful,fairly water resistant.
    Skyeye
    "Pay no atttention to that man behind the curtain, he's just a Flashaholic!"

Flashaholic*

I got the 2aa as a gift. It's comfortable and simple to use. Perhaps more expensive than similarly capable flashlights available online, but I'm very pleased with it. It's the flashlight I keep in my car as a loaner (lights with complicated UIs are not good loaners, but this one can be used by anyone). Worst case, in an emergency, I'll be able to pillage the 2 lithium AA batteries out of it for my QAAw.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    As hard as it is to admit, the new Mini Maglite LEDs (with the Rebels) are surprising good. I just picked one up at my local Walmart (the 2AA model), but I think I've seen them at my local Target as well. For ~$21, it is definitely a good light.

There is a running discussion found here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=221793

Have fun on your camping trip!

-Robert
    i agree. i think the new minimag is the best all around dept store light now. i've never seen it at target(just walmart).
    they do have some fancy energizer one for like $35 or life gear stuff.

Flashaholic

I went to check them out yesterday and spent a good 20 mins reading their specs. The inovas seem to be the best quality followed by the energizers, but both are more expensive and on paper, perform less than some of the cheaper flashlights. I think I am going to get the 2C life gear light. The AA life gear looks pretty good too as does the 160 lumens 3AAA Dorcy.

I picked up the single AA Life+Gear from target yesterday and I'm pretty impressed so far. Has a reverse clicky that seems like it should be free from accidental activation when carried in a pocket. The 80 lumen claim seems pretty accurate and the hotspot is nice but not too tight. It is a little larger than my Leatherman LGX200 (supposedly a Fenix L1T rebrand), but a good deal at $20.
    The only bad thing I noticed is that the rubber grip on mine slides around abit, especially when unscrewing the tailcap.

Flashaholic

I bought the River Rock 3W 2C light from Target recently. It isn't regulated (pretty sure or it is poor regulation) so I use NiMH batteries and this makes it flat. OP reflector for good overall use and it is a fairly well made light. Forward clickie with momentary on too . Not bad for $26. Good bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
    Just get a couple of Brinkmann Armormax 1AA's. At $14 they are more than adequate for any camping trip. Small,powerful,fairly water resistant.
    Target carries this now? I went yesterday and they didn't have ANY Brinkmann products. I want this because it's the mini version of the Maxfire LX, the light that got me started.

Another vote for the Life Gear AA. Great bang to buck ratio on that one. I call mine a "pocket thrower".

I'm looking at replacing my ROV 1 x AA headlamp with the Energizer E2. I'm tired of feeding lithiums to my ROV and getting well under an hour of runtime. The E2 looks a bit heavy yet durable and I'm thinking it should have better runtimes.
    "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

Quote Originally Posted by gallonoffuel View Post
    Maxfire LX, the light that got me started.

Not to hijack, but same here!

On another note, my Target has narrowed its selection of lights immensly! The last "new" items were the bolt series, and for pure quality, thats what is good for me.

Sean

I have two River Rocks. A 2C and 2AA. IMO, both are built well enough and work great. The 2C is great for longer run times. I just swapped in a SSC P4 and driver in it and am pretty happy with The 2AA has a focusable beam which is handy, but it's not the brightest.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by supasizefries View Post
    I have two River Rocks. A 2C and 2AA.
    I picked up the AA River Rock as well and have been pretty happy with it. Its runtime is decent, as is its brightness for quite a few applications. A friend recommended the Innova 3W that I also saw there for roughly the same price, but I'd read on another thread here that it wasn't as bright (the new version).

Flashaholic

I ended up going with the AA life gear since it'll easily fit in my pocket. I just turned it on in my closet... wow! Very nice for just a AA. It should suit my needs just fine for a little night trekking tonight. Thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by dementedlemur View Post
    I picked up the single AA Life+Gear from target yesterday and I'm pretty impressed so far. Has a reverse clicky that seems like it should be free from accidental activation when carried in a pocket. The 80 lumen claim seems pretty accurate and the hotspot is nice but not too tight. It is a little larger than my Leatherman LGX200 (supposedly a Fenix L1T rebrand), but a good deal at $20.
    The only bad thing I noticed is that the rubber grip on mine slides around abit, especially when unscrewing the tailcap.
    Nice light, I like it too. I don't think it is any where near 80 lumens though.
    I compared it to some of my other lights and I think this one comes closer to forty.

Ahh the flashlight isle at Target....I can never seem to not spend at least 15 minutes there even if I just run into the store for one thing.
    "where is daddy at, I know"

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlight View Post
    Nice light, I like it too. I don't think it is any where near 80 lumens though.
    I compared it to some of my other lights and I think this one comes closer to forty.
    I wonder if you got a dud? I picked up 5 additional ones yesterday and the brightness level of all 6 falls in between my 98 and 65 lumen rated comparison lights and seems to be about twice as bright as a 42 lumen rated comparison.
    There was a slight variation in the size of the hotspot among the lights but overall they checked out nicely and everyone likes the size and output.

I drove with my baby sister up to Plattsburgh, NY for her senior year in college. I told her I wanted to stop at the Target before I came home. She wanted to know why......I think she figured it out when I spent the requisite ten-fifteen in the flashlight aisle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast