Diffuser Film

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I need a recommendation for a type of defuser film. I don't want the defuser to be too heavy, I want something that will smooth out a beam without severely impacting the throw or overall output. If you are familiar with the Surefire G2L, I want something like the defuser lens on that light. Does anyone know where I could buy something like this? Thank you!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Ya, I do...and it will be free!

Go to your local professional camera store, and ask for a Gel sample pack. There are dozens of all types of diffusion materials, as well as, colors that we use in photography and in Motion picture film lighting. It also stands up to the heat of hot lighting

This sample pack size is just the right size for most flashlights.

Or, you can order a sheet for $15.00. This is the finest diffusion material you can buy.

Good luck.

RL

zven

Enlightened
Go to your local professional camera store, and ask for a Gel sample pack. There are dozens of all types of diffusion materials, as well as, colors that we use in photography and in Motion picture film lighting. It also stands up to the heat of hot lighting

Out of curiosity, would these be the same as the Lee or Roscolux, etc. gels and sample packs used in theater lighting? I've definitely had it in mind to pick up such a sample booklet for use with flashlights, but didn't realize that tracking one down might be so easy as checking at a camera shop.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yes.

I like apollo and roscolux for their free gel sampler packs. In each of them you get many different types and strengths of diffusion.
Easy and fast way to get what you want from a beam profile, just cut a circle and you're done.

gunga

Flashaholic
Oh wow cool. I have a set of lee samples and I am in dire need of another.

I thought I requested one but ended up with a brochure instead. I didn't know I could just request one from a photo shop.

Thanks!

:twothumbs

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made my own diffuser lenses for a Fenix L2d/PD30 with something less sophisticated (but would probably not stand to too much heat)

Now that you guys mentioned this I'll try that... here's what I did:

I cut a piece from a CD case using regular cutters (it always breaks towards the inner side) and then sanded it while rotating the piece and ended up with something almost professional-looking and the exact same size as the original lens, so in the end you can use it with the original lens adaptor. The last step is to sand one or both sides with a fine sandpapre (400+ grain).

The results are very interesting - 70% to 85% perfect diffusion depending on if you sanded one or two sides. It does reduce the throw quite a bit, but nothing like an opaque white lens where you can barely see your own feet. The plus side is you can make them in as many colors as you can find CD casings in and the grit-blasted style already provides nice diffusion.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used the soft sleeves in the Multi-CD carry cases.

I have used Glad Press n Seal. On 1 side of the lens for minor diffusion. On both sides of the lens for major diffusion.

Flashlightlens.com are selling their lenses with the Light Diffusion Film option again.

-----

Mag P7 no diffusion.
Filter-none-MgP7.jpg

Mag P7 Press n Seal on both sides.
Filter-MgP7.jpg

Mag with & without Press n Seal on both sides.
Filter-for-mag.jpg

I did not take any pictures of the Mag with Press n Seal on 1 side as the smoothing was not enough for me. It was much less than halfway between the clear and film on both sides (more like 1/4 the smoothing).

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried Glad Press and Seal...has anyone found any common material with about half of this diffusion?

I'm looking for something that preserves as much of the hotspot as possible but that diffuses the hard edge at the outer edge of the spill (where it goes from spill to nothing).

When I tried Press and Seal it diffused more than appears in the above photos.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
[
I tried Glad Press and Seal...has anyone found any common material with about half of this diffusion?

I'm looking for something that preserves as much of the hotspot as possible but that diffuses the hard edge at the outer edge of the spill (where it goes from spill to nothing).

When I tried Press and Seal it diffused more than appears in the above photos.

Well, I am a photographer, and do my own lighting. You can buy gels, however, I like improvising like the glad wrap.

There is always more than one way to do things in lighting. Just experiment. I have seen million dollar projects lit with foam board.

Good luck,

RL

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is that what I want is at cross purposes somewhat!

I want a hotspot that isn't diffused but I can live with it being a little diffused if it will accomplish my real goal. It's the rest of the beam that I want to be diffused.

More specifically I want the outer hard edge of the spill to be diffused. This is using a led light in a reflector (flashlight).

The film I'm using gets rid of most of the spot. I then tried just using a small circle in the middle of the lens. Since the spill comes from that part of the emitted light that comes straight out and therefore isn't captured by the reflector.

This did nothing however so I did the reverse. I covered the lens with the filter and cut a hole out in the middle. This did the same thing as using a full (uncut) filter.

It seems it would be easier to get a hotspot and have the rest diffused than it is. I can't be the first person to want a hotspot and a smooth beam otherwise.

I understand that with some mechanical modifying I could replace the reflector with an aspheric lens but that requires more tools than I have (or skill) and it gets rid of all the spill.

I need a tight hotspot but I also need a little spill to be able to see. The hard edge going from spill to no light at all is harsh and when the light is moved around that's the part that is distracting as well.

The main use for a light I have is for diving but I'm finding that the same characteristics would be more pleasing even for just walking the dog at night. A hugh ring of spill is just distracting.

Most of the posts on this subject that I've found are by those experimenting with diffusion materials where they are just looking for a blemish free flood.

If there are obvious answers out there that I'm overlooking I'm all ears!