Prometheus        

Thread: Any LED flashlights with frosted lens?

Unenlightened

Default Any LED flashlights with frosted lens?

Hello folks,

I've been browsing through a lot of postings on here and flashlight reviews/pictures in an effort to identify a few flashlights with a standard frosted/textured lens for a smoother hotspot.

However, there seems to be hardly any options out there other than just a few diffusers that look pretty bulky to me. I was thinking EagleTac T20C2 + diffuser might be the right one for me but I understand it's very easy to accidentally engage the strobe while changing brightness. Yikes...

I can't afford to spend money on a custom flashlight and I'd rather not experiment with a standard lens (etching, etc). So, I'm hoping some of the flashlight gurus on CPF could perhaps point out a few options that are readily available in the market.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Any LED flashlights with frosted lens?

Malkoff M60F has a built in diffuser. So pop one in any P60 host and you are good to go.

A well designed textured reflector and/or a light diffusing film would accomplish what you seek.

I believe http://www.flashlightlens.com/
    is selling frosted glass.

Flashaholic*

changing brightness is done by twisting the head...
    strobe is activated by a momentary press of the tailcap switch...
    (which can deactivated by another quick momentary press)

everyone's taste and purpose for frosting/diffusing is different...
    a "standard frosted lens" doesn't exist AFAIK

start with press-n-seal from your kitchen on the lens, to palm screen protector materials, to frosted scotch tape, to spray on privacy/frost paint from hardware store, all the way to etching cream on the lens for permanent frost, replacing lens to a frosted one, to the screw on filters that are removed in a few seconds,

to lightly sanding the LED surface (another permanent option)

and then there is orange peel reflector vs smooth options to consider as well... (some people lightly spray hair spray on the (removed) reflector to increase the OP effect)

[QUOTE=metric;3085749]... I was thinking EagleTac T20C2 + diffuser might be the right one for me but I understand it's very easy to accidentally engage the strobe while changing brightness. [/QUOTE
    Last edited by lebox97; 09-14-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: tiepo
    the reality of life... 50% +/- of it will be in darkness (unless you have a light!) dba
    (also EagTac-USA)

A tip I learned in here. Invisible Scotch Tape works perfectly on a lens as a diffuser. Its also the perfect width for minimags.

Flashaholic

if you like optics, latest generation SureFire 1 cell led lights should all have lightly frosted optics. They are E1L, E1B, L1. I think LX2 and E2DL (2 cells) does have it as well but im not so sure.

Enlightened

I'm not sure, but I believe the Dereelight CL1H V4 NOHS (No Hotspot) has frosted glass standard. It has a nice, even beam from the picture I saw.
    Tom