Who likes the Fenix P1D and why?

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Im looking for a small powerful light with multi brightness modes.The Fenix P1D Q5 seems to be a quality light.

I dont mind the added thickness over an AAA light as long as Im gaining in output.. All opinions are welcome .Thanks

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Re: Who likes the Fenix L1D and why?

Umm, that was the standard by which all other 1xAA lights were judged for nearly two years. A quick search will yield literally HUNDREDS of threads on it full of reviews and opinions.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Please excuse me I had to edit my title. I was refering to the P1D not the L1D. My search didnt turn up much at all.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The P1D is the crowdpleaser showpiece; no one expects that much light from something that small. Guaranteed to ensure even the most non-technical philistine will "see the light" of LED technology.

In actual use, it has a beautifully balanced beam profile, and since there's only the one threaded junction, it's remarkably waterproof. However there isn't enough body/mass there to get a grip on securely, and the twisty interface requires two hands - it's too small to operate with one hand, and it's slower to use than a clicky.

If you don't need a serious service light, it's great for everyday/around the house tasks. Most flashaholics own at least one P1D, I own two..

burns

Newly Enlightened
I've got one. It was my first serious light and it's still probably my favorite for EDC. Mine is the P1D-CE version so the Q5 can only be nicer. You may still be able to get the CE at battery junction for $35, which is a steal. It's just a solid little light that is as bright as most lights twice it's size and it fits perfectly into that little half-pocket in your jeans that was previously worthless.

ypsifly

Enlightened
I've been considering a P1D for a while, but I already have a PD20. Easier to operate with one hand, and it can tail stand.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the P1D and wanted to get it for its size and multiple modes, problem was that i would be running it on a 3.6v RCR123 and that would lose modes if i recall correctly. I ended up getting a Jet II Pro IBS, 3 mode programmable but that's quite a bit longer than a P1D.

I now EDC a Nitecore EX10 GDP and i am very very pleased with it, nigh on indestructible with an easily accessible low and max and the ability to ramp the brightness levels up and down to suit your needs. Runs nicely off an RCR123 with great output on max.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the P1D and wanted to get it for its size and multiple modes, problem was that i would be running it on a 3.6v RCR123 and that would lose modes if i recall correctly. I ended up getting a Jet II Pro IBS, 3 mode programmable but that's quite a bit longer than a P1D.

I now EDC a Nitecore EX10 GDP and i am very very pleased with it, nigh on indestructible with an easily accessible low and max and the ability to ramp the brightness levels up and down to suit your needs. Runs nicely off an RCR123 with great output on max.

I recently had an accident with my EX10 that rendered it unusable. that certainly corrected my assumtion that it was nigh in indestructable. If the outter tube gets dented, or squashed in anyway, the Piston will no wonder be able to run

Crenshaw

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're happy to use CR123A primaries, you'd love the P1D, otherwise using 16340 with most ultra compact 1xCR123 lights would be a headache.
Fit issues (may not fit properly) & support issues (you'd lose low & medium mode with 16340 on P1D).

I got a P1D, loved it initially and i quickly found it'll be a financial headache with frequent use.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I have the previous version of this light and I'm quite happy with it. It's my only CR123-powered light. I try to stick with AA and AAA cells since lithium cells are quite expensive in Canada.

That said, the light is small and extremely bright despite its light weight. I used it quite a while as a keychain light. I now clip it to the bag I bring to work. It functions as a back-up light, since its runtime is limited (about 20 mins. on high) using the rechargeable 123 cells I have.

This is definitely a light you can use to blow away non-flashaholics.

fareast

Enlightened
Ahhh, the P1D... that was my first high powered LED. I used RCR's exclusively for the more than 2 years I used it (I never cared for th lower levels...). It was my keyring EDC and it held up very nice. It's not mine anymore, I gave it to a relative and added a load of different cells for him to play with.

What I would suggest is:
use the Lifepo rCR123's (i think 3.0V-3.7V) in this torch as it will give you some levels. The 3.7V-4.2V RCR's will only give you high-high-high-strobe-sos. And when the low's kick in, you need to re-charge/swap cells.

This torch will never stop to amaze people and has made a couple of new torch fans.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I EDCed a P1D for a while, added a Leef body to it for a while, and have now switched to a Quark 123. I would still be using it today if the lower modes worked with 4.2volt RCRs.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
My first "proper" led light, a P1D CE, in olive colour, I now have the Q5 version in black as well.
Firstly the smooth reflector is crap, the Q5 has the smooth reflector, and seriously you cannot tell the difference at night, so I'm going to swap the led's over.
The dimpled reflector is the one to go for.
I use AW RCR123, these fit perfectly, I have found some el cheapo brand do not, or rather I won't risk it, they have a steel link under the insulation that gets ever closer to being exposed when the battery is inserted/withdrawn, and I don't want to risk a meltdown.
Performance wise excellent, cost wise expensive, especially now.
I recieved today my latest light a CREE/MX POWER with WCP4 led, and it is 95% as bright as the P1D, despite costing around $10
I have just this minute been out in the garden to try a few, the MX power has a tighter spot and better throw than the P1, but still very floody, certainly good enough.
I also tested another cheapo under $10 that I modded with a Q5, but although bright it's not as good as the MX power one.
Hope this is of some use to you, but if I were buying again, I would buy 2 MX Power for the price of 1 P1D, and still have money left over.
The P1D is better built however, but the others are in no way bad.
I do like the claw grip of the P1D though.
all the above are tail standies
tabetha

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Had one and didn't like it. It is barely usable since the interface doesn't work well with a clicky switch, it is cumbersone and requires two hands. In addition to that, the body doesn't offer enough grip. The UI itself has the useless SOS and strobe thing going on, but that is my personal dislike.
I think the concept of this light doesn't work.

However, the Fenix P1 is a real gem in its price class. One level, quite smaller than the P1D, KISS. It is basically a smaller version of the original Arc LS twisty, the legendary light that was THE CR123 LED light for years.

bernie

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Wow ,thank you all for your highly valued opinions.Based on what I"ve read, this is a high quality light that most everyone seems to enjoy owning. Ill be ordering one within a day or so.( UPDATE/ I ordered the Olive green one )

Also,thanks for the information regarding the batteries. I would like to retain all my brightness modes so I think I will try some LifePo rCR123s.

This will be my first Fenix torch. Im sure it will be a knockout.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it quite a bit, but I agree with Kiessling. They could have left the SOS and strobe out of it. I think the Leef body really transforms the light as long as the grip ring is there. None of my P1D lights will even function on LiIon. They just flash once and go out. Some P1D are really ringy, some not so much. A Seoul works great in these lights. P1 is nice too.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
I just spent a few moments testing out my new Fenix P1D .

It works great . The functions are easy to use and the small size is very handy. It came with a small holster , an extra O ring and a clip.

The Olive green is pretty cool.Its a nice light to get if you dont yet have one and are looking for a small ,bright, multifunction light .