Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
forget the last, crappy quality

Olight and Jetbeam:
Jetbeam: better build quality
both: wide input range
Olight: more level choices (Jetbeam: high and low)
Olight: cell extender for 2*18650 (the best battery configuration) is included, while with the M1X it has to be purchased additionnaly

... just read the description very carefully and think the level choice with that external switch at the side of the end cap is totally unergonomic - with the Olight. At least it sounds so.

elwood

Newly Enlightened
I think the M1X would throw the furthest out of the three and probably has the best build quality.

As far as the modes, i think you can program 3 different modes to whatever brightness you want.

If it was me, i'd get the M1X, hands down. And don't forget the body extenders to run 2x 18650's! :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm not a fan of the "thrower" multi-die lights - if you're looking purely for a long-distance spotlight, any of your choices will do, but part of what makes the MCE emitter great is how floody it can be, it can literally be like walking around with a car headlight, if you don't restrict it to too narrow a beam.

Which is why you might also consider the Fenix TK40; it's roughly the same body size as your other choices, but it has a nicely balanced broad beam which really makes the most of the emitter. It also runs on regular AA cells, so you don't have to worry about unique/rare battery types or extenders. See it here: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=696

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us help you more by giving us information on how you will be using the flashlight. What type of duties do you need it to perform. Info such as:

- runtime required
- flood / throw needs
- exterior size requirements
- what type of batteries do you prefer to use

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
M1X actually has Jet-III M's UI.

Tighten for max, loosen for programmable mode
I think the M1X would throw the furthest out of the three and probably has the best build quality.

As far as the modes, i think you can program 3 different modes to whatever brightness you want.

If it was me, i'd get the M1X, hands down. And don't forget the body extenders to run 2x 18650's! :)

EdNemo

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a fan of the "thrower" multi-die lights - if you're looking purely for a long-distance spotlight, any of your choices will do, but part of what makes the MCE emitter great is how floody it can be, it can literally be like walking around with a car headlight, if you don't restrict it to too narrow a beam.

Which is why you might also consider the Fenix TK40; it's roughly the same body size as your other choices, but it has a nicely balanced broad beam which really makes the most of the emitter. It also runs on regular AA cells, so you don't have to worry about unique/rare battery types or extenders. See it here: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=696

Interesting, does it have extenders available for it?

EdNemo

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like everyone thinks the M1X is the best deal, which is funny because I thought aesthetically the Lumapower has the best look.

I really need this to be a tough as nails flashlight that can take a whack.

It will be my everyday flashlight riding in my motorcycle backpack, so something that has a lasting charge when not in use. Also either cheaper batteries available for it or rechargable would be best.

HKJ

Flashaholic
It sounds like everyone thinks the M1X is the best deal, which is funny because I thought aesthetically the Lumapower has the best look.

I really need this to be a tough as nails flashlight that can take a whack.

It will be my everyday flashlight riding in my motorcycle backpack, so something that has a lasting charge when not in use. Also either cheaper batteries available for it or rechargable would be best.

M30 is designed for light at close range, M1X for light at long range.
But M1X has a lockout function and that is very useful when storing the light in a bag.

Both lights can use LiIon rechargeable batterires, either 18500 or 18650 (with extender).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Interesting, does it have extenders available for it?

No, the TK40 runs on 4 or 8 AA cells, so the runtime/output is pretty generous as-is, plus it's multi-mode, so you can turn it down as needed.

Since the TK40 is AA format, you can use regular alkalines or rechargeable NiMHs as you see fit. Both are as common and as inexpensive as it gets..

EdNemo

Newly Enlightened
No, the TK40 runs on 4 or 8 AA cells, so the runtime/output is pretty generous as-is, plus it's multi-mode, so you can turn it down as needed.

Since the TK40 is AA format, you can use regular alkalines or rechargeable NiMHs as you see fit. Both are as common and as inexpensive as it gets..

I definitely like the battery option. Unfortunately it is a little short for what I want to use it for.

EdNemo

Newly Enlightened
The three lights you noted (with extender tubes added) plus the TK40 are all within about 1 inch difference in length.

Heh, I was just coming back here to post that! I went through and did a metric conversion and realized the heights were all about the same.

I definitely like the battery options on the TK40. How durable is it?

EdNemo

Newly Enlightened
It's among the more popular and resilient lights of the recent wave of MCE units, lots of positive reviews here on the forum.

It seems this may be the way for me to go. Before I hit the purchase button, is there anything you would recommend getting for the flashlight? specific batteries, a specific holster?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It seems this may be the way for me to go. Before I hit the purchase button, is there anything you would recommend getting for the flashlight? specific batteries, a specific holster?

I'm not a holster guy, but battery-wise you'd probably want some low self-discharge ("LSD"/"Pre-Charged") NiMHs, like Eneloops. These will provide better runtime than alkalines and will also last longer when not in use. Since they're rechargeable, you can use your new flashlight all you want, guilt-free lumens.