TK20 long term owners

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a lot of old reviews on the TK20 (most are 2008 dates) but I'm looking for input from LONG TERM TK20 owners.

Impulse buyers who just recently bought the light or ones that had the light for such a short period of time that the novelty hasn't worn off need not reply. I'm looking to get this as a present for someone that spends a lot of times outdoors and have had some exposure to LED lights (M@g) but is not yet a true flashaholic because "LED lights have such a harsh blue tint to them" preconception based on a single M@g purchase.

So, for you loyal or hardcore TK20 owners, let's hear why you've kept this light in your collection.

Thanks in advance.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw is amazing for an AA light and the color is great for outdoor walks.

I've had it in my collection since it first came out.

My only disappointment is they never came out with grips of other colors.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
+1 on what Marduke posted. Hope they will maintain the built quality when they update this model. :D
Been using it almost daily for night walk since got it ~6 months ago. Very tough!!! The anodizing has chip-off in multiple places and I once cracked a floor tile by accidentally drop it (and got nagged for a few days). It's still running strong.
The only 2 issues I have is when using rechargeables (and running on turbo), I don't get diminishing output, instead, the output will just drop to a very dim level (<5 lumens?) when battery is low, the other issue is the annoying hissing (high pitch) noise when running on turbo (but my 2nd TK20 has less noise :thinking:).

jankj

Enlightened
I take my chances of posting my reasons for NOT choosing to live with this light...

I gave one to my brother, and I'm quite sure he's very happy with it. A little premature to ask him, though... he's only had it for 2 months, and one of those months is with hardly any dark hours at all...

Having tested the light for a week on a camping trip before I gave it to him, I judge my neutral quark to be far superior because it is so much smaller and lighter. The TK20 is a great light, and I'm sure I would be quite satisfied using it - exept I would not use it, I would always pick something smaller and lighter. The quarks or fenix LD-series (wish L2D was available in neutral tint, but then quark came along) are just soooo much handier to slide into a pocket. So at my place, the TK20 would be a shelf queen, a lone-away light or a bump-in-the-night light. It would not be with me outdoors camping, cycling or skiing. It certainly would not be my EDC light.

So - if you haven't tried any other 2*AA lights and how much better they slip into a pocket - or if this isn't important to you, you will be perfectly happy with the TK20. All other aspects of the TK20 are outstanding.

Last edited:

apontes

Newly Enlightened
Having tested the light for a week on a camping trip before I gave it to him, I judge my neutral quark to be far superior because it is so much smaller and lighter. The TK20 is a great light, and I'm sure I would be quite satisfied using it - exept I would not use it, I would always pick something smaller and lighter. The quarks or fenix LD-series (wish L2D was available in neutral tint, but then quark came along) are just soooo much handier to slide into a pocket. So at my place, the TK20 would be a shelf queen, a lone-away light or a bump-in-the-night light. It would not be with me outdoors camping, cycling or skiing. It certainly would not be my EDC light.

So - if you haven't tried any other 2*AA lights and how much better they slip into a pocket - or if this isn't important to you, you will be perfectly happy with the TK20. All other aspects of the TK20 are outstanding.

I agree the TK20 is not exactly pocket material, but you have to take 2 things into account here:
- it throws farther;
- it is far sturdier than most other 2AA lights.

jankj

Enlightened
I agree the TK20 is not exactly pocket material, but you have to take 2 things into account here:
- it throws farther;

I'm not forgetting anything, like I said, all other aspects of TK20 is outstanding. I'm telling you what's the deal breaker for MY use of TK20, which is kind of sad, because I really like this sturdy little bugger.

As for throw, yes, but with some caveats. I am very curious to see or hear of a real life evaluation of quark neutral tint and tk20. I would expect that the TK20 wins, but I would expect the margin to be smaller than most flashaholics appreciate. (Such as: At what distance can you make out the individual trees in that cluster?). I did with LD20, and was surprised how little difference it actually made. (20-50 meters, depending on what I shined it on).

As for sturdy, this level of sturdiness is a giant overkill for my use of lights. I've tried to beat fenix LD10 and LD20 to death for a couple of years, and they just keep on shining...

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, it DOES throw further than other lights, but you pay for it through its significantly larger size. You can just get a 2xCR123 or 1x18650 which will do an even better job.

In terms of toughness, maybe i have a low threshold requirement myself, but realistically, I can't see how much of an advantage it practically would be over say compared to the L2D

- it throws farther;

apontes

Newly Enlightened
As for sturdy, this level of sturdiness is a giant overkill for my use of lights.

I agree, it DOES throw further than other lights, but you pay for it through its significantly larger size. You can just get a 2xCR123 or 1x18650 which will do an even better job.

In terms of toughness, maybe i have a low threshold requirement myself, but realistically, I can't see how much of an advantage it practically would be over say compared to the L2D

I agree with both you guys. I gave away mine for the same reasons. I too prefer 18650 lights.

What I said was for the OP's benefit, so he could take sturdiness and throw into consideration and balance that against size, in order to make an informed decision.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Not to belittle the L2D in any way, but I've done things to my TK20 that would have bent the L2D in half...

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have and use my TK20, which I bought last year.

It is truly a very tough light. In February the southeast of the UK had record snowfall and a lot of ice. One night I fell over on ice into the middle of the road at the top of steep a hill - and I broke my fall using the TK20 instinctively which I was using to light my way. The light stopped me from breaking my wrist (as I had my hand in a hammerfist position rather than flat out) and stopped me sliding all the way down the hill! Was it damaged? No! Just a slight chip to the anodising on the bezel. I did wince when I realised I'd smashed my expensive Fenix into the ground, but I was glad I didn't hurt myself and the light barely got any damage. True story.

Again, one very tough light.

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
I have had my TK20 for around.. 12 months i think, not really sure.

Anyway, I love it, and out of all my torches its always the one I recommend other (non flashos) buy. (infact I have managed to convince 3 of my friends to buy a TK20!!)

Its a terrific torch I think.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owned a TK20 for about 1 year so far, and out of all the Fenix lights I've bought (L1D/L2D, P2D, E01, L0D, TK11R2) the TK20 is the one I would keep if I had to pick just one.

Best build quality of the bunch (not counting the slipping rubber grip, which is easily fixed). The threads are very good, everything feels very well made. Easy change between turbo and general mode due to the knurling on the head. Easy resupply for batteries, and even runs well on alkaline if need be (somebody got 1/2 hour on turbo; I'd expect 4+ hours on general, but haven't tried this before).

For me it's just one of those lights that feels good and hits the sweet spot, if you know what I mean. And sometimes having a bit larger light is a good thing, especially if you've got big hands. Feels like there's something more substantial to hold onto.

vali

Enlightened
If some friend who needs a light for working outdoors ask me about what to get, I whould recomend him a TK20. It is big and heavy compared with the other premium lights we are used to, but the unenlightened is used to the 2D format, so no much diference. Keep in mind too that most people use the flashlight as a tool, without caring about drops, chips, maintenance, etc The TK20 is tough enough to resist the typical beating most tools end getting.

Of course, if the guy works in an office and want a light to EDC or have a drawer just in case of a blackout, the TK20 is a no no. The same if it is for camping, backpacking, etc where the size and weight counts a lot.