High Density CREE Light engines

Illum

Flashaholic
I saw these models among others in Whelen's 2009 Aviation catalog

I don't think heatsinking is going to be an issue with these but its still amazing to see so many CREEs in one area:faint:

Anyone seen anything on this sort of extremes in any fixed lighting fixtures?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're too close to be run for power, I can guess that there are so many because of the 28VDC requirement and the need for redundancy.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, looks like it's mounted to an aluminum housing, and I'm sure the aluminum housing will be mounted to the body, and there's plenty of airflow :whistle:
but they probably have current cranked down a bit. It is neat to see all those 7090s all gridded out

Gryloc

Enlightened
Hopefully, these use a plastic cover to protect the LEDs. Cree XR-E emitters lose domes occationally (oh-no its raining glass optics), so objects like bugs, birds, and hail may utterly destroy the somewhat fragile bare emitters. I am sure they do have covers, but I wished they showed them in the picture (well what if they do not, lol).

-Tony

Foxx510

Enlightened
Scarily it looks like they don't run a lens on the first two! If you look at this flyer http://www.whelen.com/_AVIATION/catalog/Lightheads.pdf you can see the one with the lens has it specified in the text, while the others say Lens: none. Surely they'd be dropping domes like all get out. Rain or hail would knock them off in a second. Unless, maybe they go inside an existing lens on the aircraft, ie a lens that is part of the wing or tailplane.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nobody is designing a product that exposes Cree domes to the environment under normal operating conditions except Zebralight.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are meant as replacements for traditional strobes and markers. Traditional strobes and markers are behind lenses (I.E. you don't go to the wing tip and install a very delicate flashtube and then leave it out in the open)

I wouldn't doubt that even rain or the air alone could blow off the domes.