Any way to fix the T20C2 strobe?

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Though the previous post on this subject was offensive, it did bring up a issue. I don't think anyone is fond of the anoying T20C2 strobe issue. Is there anyway to disable this "feature". Is there anything we can do as a CPF comunity to get EagleTac to change the UI? I just can't help but think that this is a deal breaker for many and that ET would sell a lot more if they got rid of the stupid strobe or put it somewhere where you can't accidentally activate it.

Last edited:

DigMe

Enlightened
Re: Any way to fix the T20C2 stobe

I'm with ya. Same thing goes for the P20C2. One thing you can do is register it with Eagletac and complain about it in the comments section of their online registration. That's what I did. Maybe if enough people complain they will listen.

brad

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm with ya. Same thing goes for the P20C2. One thing you can do is register it with Eagletac and complain about it in the comments section of their online registration. That's what I did. Maybe if enough people complain they will listen.

brad

People were complaining even before the flashlight was released, but they didnt change it anways. I remember to read somewhere, an eagletac representant saying that the T20C2's UI is perfect and nothing has to be fixed.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened

Well, ET has a reputation for fixing problems and complaints about their lights. Is there anyone that likes the strobe/UI? I don't want to sound like I am bashing ET. I own a T10LC2 and love it. Maybe the strobe is a great feature, and I just don't get it.

Last edited:

tolkaze

Enlightened
The strobe is annoying, but its not that bad. This light for me is either on for at least a couple of minutes, or I am using a different light. Yes it would be better without strobe altogether, slightly better if it was a 'hidden' mode.

Flashlight_Bug

Newly Enlightened
Though the previous post on this subject was offensive, it did bring up a issue.

Guys, very sorry if my previous post had been offensive. Guess I was just really pissed with the strobe. And to recap what the Eagletac representative posted prior to the release of the T20C2 -

"Learning from our experience, we've conducted a total of two (paid) beta testing groups to test the T20C2 prior to production. The T20C2 is perfect in every aspect and requires no further modifications."

Doesn't this make you wonder who were those dumb members of the beta testing groups that allowed a major flaw like this to go into production? Anyway, this is not the first time Eagletac allowed easy accessibility of strobe to affect their otherwise well-made lights. Remember how easy it was to go into strobe when you wanted turbo with the M2X series? It was only thanks to modification by cpfer adsl_keeki that we could remove the strobe from our M2X series.

So, Eagletac, please correct the strobe by releasing a new replacement head/bezel so that current owners can purchase one and be rid of the annoying strobe. I am sure current owners will not be asking for a free replacement but will be very willing to pay to make the T20C2 perform as was promised.

Again, my apologies to anyone offended by my previous post regarding the strobe on the T20C2.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait for mkII.

I suggest that strobe only be accessible if you leave the head on turbo, and that the flashlight start up in low mode if you turn it off when in general.

Konad

Newly Enlightened

brad

I dont think EagleTac even looks at the comments left on the registration page. It says there will be a drawing every month from the registrations with the results at the bottom the page. The date on the bottom of the page says 6/2009 with no winners listed.

I have a P20C2 also and that is my only complaint. My 2 cents.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think strobe has to be activated only after 5 soft clicks or on-off within 3 seconds.

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
I dont think EagleTac even looks at the comments left on the registration page. It says there will be a drawing every month from the registrations with the results at the bottom the page. The date on the bottom of the page says 6/2009 with no winners listed.

I have a P20C2 also and that is my only complaint. My 2 cents.

Actually, EagleTac did respond to a comment i made when i registered one of my ET lights.

DigMe

Enlightened
I think strobe has to be activated only after 5 soft clicks or on-off within 3 seconds.

It activates if you soft click within 3 to 4 seconds after soft clicking the first time. It's way too long of a delay. Anyone wanting to activate strobe could easily do it with only a 1 second delay.

brad

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
One reason I love my P10A2 so much is that it has no stupid blinky/sos modes. The other main reason is the selector ring. It's a great UI the way it is -why did they change it? I was very disappointed that many of the newer models have a blinky mode.

Another problem with having a strobe mode is that the strobe has to be very quickly accessable to be useful. I wish the makers of lights would have an internal screw or switch that could activate/disable the strobe mode, or a series of clicks to enable/disable it that is very unlikely to be done accidentally.

bkumanski

Enlightened
Part of the problem as I see (read: biased :whistle:) is that light manufacturers market lights as "tactical" to encourage LE purchase, not really having much of an idea what LE really wants. I've hashed this argument out before: no LE I know of uses strobe. It is annoying and dangerous to use in a real tactical situation where I have other force options much better suited to the task and won't disorient me in the process (try keeping your cookies in a dark room shining a strobe on someone, might as well be shining on you...). That said, people who don't usually use the lights in LE settings, don't really mind too much the UIs because they don't have to rely on them via gross motor skills in times of stress. LE likes lights simple: full on when you hit the switch, multi modes are cool, but only if you have to do something unusual to get to it...more than just hit the same switch. Eagletac got it right with the T10C2s where you have to turn the head to change it.

I use momentary on too frequently to risk having a light go into strobe without warning. I don't even use my DBS with a 3SM pill for "tactical" stuff just so I am not fumbling with med and low when I need BRIGHT right now. I instead switch to my CL1H 1SM for that. Olight almost got it right with the M30, but the tail cap "spikes" are not well thought out (really, tailstanding is for blackouts and tent camping, no LE ever needs this either). The T20s would be nearly perfect for LE if they got rid of the strobe and made the switch do only one thing: ON. This is why lights made by Streamlight and Surefire, overpriced and underpowered, are still the mainstay of LE. These manufacturers make a UI that is cop-proof and the lights are simple and reliable, albeit anemic.

Sorry for the rant ---->:rant: Just my $.02

BST07

Newly Enlightened
The UI was the sole reason why I didn't get this light as well. However, I did end up purchasing a LX2 :crackup: I definitely prefer that UI over the Eagletacs.

I am somewhat heartbroken by Eagletac after the M2C4. The only reason why I pre-ordered that light was due to the positive experience I got with the the T10C2. I was going to give it a second chance to T20C2 until I heard of the UI.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of the problem as I see (read: biased :whistle:) is that light manufacturers market lights as "tactical" to encourage LE purchase, not really having much of an idea what LE really wants. I've hashed this argument out before: no LE I know of uses strobe. It is annoying and dangerous to use in a real tactical situation where I have other force options much better suited to the task and won't disorient me in the process (try keeping your cookies in a dark room shining a strobe on someone, might as well be shining on you...). That said, people who don't usually use the lights in LE settings, don't really mind too much the UIs because they don't have to rely on them via gross motor skills in times of stress. LE likes lights simple: full on when you hit the switch, multi modes are cool, but only if you have to do something unusual to get to it...more than just hit the same switch. Eagletac got it right with the T10C2s where you have to turn the head to change it.

I use momentary on too frequently to risk having a light go into strobe without warning. I don't even use my DBS with a 3SM pill for "tactical" stuff just so I am not fumbling with med and low when I need BRIGHT right now. I instead switch to my CL1H 1SM for that. Olight almost got it right with the M30, but the tail cap "spikes" are not well thought out (really, tailstanding is for blackouts and tent camping, no LE ever needs this either). The T20s would be nearly perfect for LE if they got rid of the strobe and made the switch do only one thing: ON. This is why lights made by Streamlight and Surefire, overpriced and underpowered, are still the mainstay of LE. These manufacturers make a UI that is cop-proof and the lights are simple and reliable, albeit anemic.

Sorry for the rant ---->:rant: Just my $.02

+1

If they really wanted the strobe mode to be tailcap activated, they should have made the interval between presses much smaller, i.e. .5 seconds or less (or maybe even .25 seconds), and make it so the tailcap has to be pressed 3 times instead of 2.
Chances are that if you are pressing the tailcap switch that rapidly 3 times in a row, you are trying to strobe the light anyways, so the automatic strobe mode would be helpful.

Of course, this would still probably prevent using the light for morse code, but you could always do that by covering/uncovering the light with your hands.

Vesper

Enlightened
I think it's annoying too, but now my 6 year old loves the light best because of the cool and easy to activate flashy thing. :huh: Whaddya do.

yuk

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I'm really annoyed with the strobe on my P20C2. I love this small light, but the unwanted activation of the strobe it really pisses me of. :rant:

I thought the "P" in Eagletac's P series flashlights stands for "personal". P for personal, T for tactical, etc.
I'm pretty sure when I use the P20C2 that I don't need the strobe when I am on my basement or in the storeroom or when I search for my freaking keys that I dropped under the car. :mad:

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
It's too bad. Otherwise, I love this light. I don't think its a deal breaker and it will make me sell the light, but I really wish is wasn't there. For me, a strobe is just a gimmick, that should be easily avoided if the manufacturer feels the need to put it in a light.

I hate to sound like I'm bashing ET. I really do love this light and loved my T10LC2. I hope that they get the message next time they produce a light. First the M2 series with the criticism of that strobe and now the T20.

Latest posts