Eagletac T10LC2 brightness reduction question

GREEKFIRE

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all the CPF members. I'm a newbie and don't know much about flashlights, so please bear with me. I recently purchased an Eagletac T10LC2 flashlight which came along with a pair of Sanyo CR123A Lithium batteries. I have noticed that after 25-35 (not continuous) minutes of use on the high mode, that the brightness level has dropped tremendously low that when I twist the Eagletacs head from high mode (295 lumens) to low mode (60 lumens) there is barely a difference in light output. Now I was under the impression that if using CR123A lithium batteries on this flashlight that my lumens output and brightness on high would be at that consistent light output up until my batteries would just die. Another factor that has raised my suspicions is, that the dealer which I bought the flashlight from, (yes he is an authorized Eagletac dealer) it was his last Eagletac T10LC2 in stock. I hope I didn't get shafted. Please if any fellow members can please enlighten me on what's going on with my flashlight, if it in fact is maybe a defective model or if this is the norm for these Eagletac tactical flashlights to drop in power so much and so drastically in such a short time with these CR123A batteries? Also are the Sanyo CR123A batteries the best performing batteries money can buy, or is there another battery manufacturer (Energizer, Duracell, Surefire, Eagletac etc...) that has a better performing CR123a battery (even if it's just a .01% difference)? I thought that these Sanyo CR123a were the best lithium batteries money could buy. I hope I have posted this thread under the right category and please forgive me for my English grammar, for it is my second language. -THANK YOU :)

lebox97

Enlightened
your grammer is better than mine! :twothumbs

I would be a little nervous about continuing to use these cells without testing them more thoroughly.
You need make sure one or both hasn't gone bad, or that one is used up more than the other.
mixed lithium cells in a multi-cell device can lead to :poof:
Were these new batteries?
Do you have a ZTS or similar tester that measures capacity remaining to verify?
Have you tried a new set of cells?

Otherwise I'd suggest contacting the dealer that sold it to you... as something doesn't sound right :thinking:

:welcome:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try cleaning the contacts on the light. Sometimes they get dirty and cause troubles. Also try a new set of CR123 cells so you can know for sure if it's a problem with the light or with the cells.

:welcome:

Alistair

Newly Enlightened
I too have had a T10LC2 for about 3 months. I erroneoudly ordered a couple of Eagletac 18650' s to use with it as I did not realise that it was only regulated on CR123's. I am nevertheless delighted with the performance and it seems to keep its brightness well. It was however erratic until I cleaned the threads.

GREEKFIRE

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys I'm going to take your advice and first try some fresh cr123 batteries to see if thats the culprit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the flashlight isn't defective. Anyone else who might have any other troubleshooting theory or idea please chime in. -God bless you all :)

Last edited:

GREEKFIRE

Newly Enlightened
Sorry lebox97 that I didn't reply do you earlier in my post. Yes the batteries were new form what I can tell they came along with the flashlight in a little plastic case. No unfortunately I don't have a zts tester. I'm going to head out to Bestbuy tomorrow morning and buy some CR123 batteries. I looked at that battery shootout thread and now I'm even more confused at which brand is the best for my specific flashlight. I got really confused when I started seeing the rankings of each manufacture's battery start alternating positions, when comparing the amp power settings of 0.5 amp, 1.0 amp and 2.0amp. I don't know if my Eagletac's specs would just be drawing power needs of an 0.5amp? If that is the case then the Sanyo CR123 batteries from Japan would be the best ones out there? I hope I'm getting the best of the best batteries for my specific flashlight tomorrow even if they are the .01% difference makes compared to other brands. So this flashlight is supposed to hold its full power light output lumens rating up until the batteries die then correct guys? Please help me fellow CPF members.

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I also have a T10LC2 and have been thrilled. The holster has begun to wear through because of the sharp edges of the tail but I globbed a few splotches of Poly-resin compound (PRC) into the pocket and have had no further problems. As far as batteries, I also use 123's as I have found the light performs the best with them. Of course my light is not working when I try and use AW protected 18650's, but that is another subject. I use AW protected RCR 123's. Are your 123's 3.0 volts or 3.6 volt batteries. There may be no difference as I am told one or both of them are charged to 4.2 volts anyways, so that is misleading. See I am a noob too. Get the 3.6 volt 123's, they run the light at its brightest.

Anyways if you are using the light slightly often I would HIGHLY recommending investing in some rechargeable 123's and a charger. At $6.00 a piece you cant beat that with a stick. You are doing yourself a tremendous disservice paying $10.00+ for a single throw away 123 from Best Buy. Since joining this site I have realized that Duracell, Energizer and the big name batteries are not all that.

Stick around the website, you will learn a LOT!!!

GREEKFIRE

Newly Enlightened
Yikes I went to Besbuy a few days ago and you guys are spot on right (the prices for cr123 batteries are CRAZY MAN what a bloody rip off). I didn't want to end up throwing down more money :mad: and still get a negative result from my problematic Eagletac, so I just think I'm going to return it to the dealer that I bought it from so he can determine what's really going on with my T10LC2. I was doing some more researching in the CPF forums and I started discovering a couple people who were saying that if you click the flashlight light on and off multiple times that damage can happen. Does this sound accurate to your guys ears? I mean this isn't even the case with my scenario but why would such a pretty expensive (at least for me, I know that there are other flashlights with even bigger price tags) and at least well built looking flashlight be prone to such a malfunction? Man I hope they can reimburse me my money even though I would really want another EagleTac because when it was working properly the light output was amazing. Do any of you think it would be a better idea if, I sent my flashlight to the official Eagletac store instead of the dealer who I bought it from, who might end up sugar tailing the story and tricking me since I'm still a novice/amateur flashlight enthusiast? Please anyone with experience with Eagletacs return/exchange policy please chime in. I noticed that there at least 7-8 (maybe more authorized Eagletac dealers) so maybe they can also chime in and tell me how things will unfold. -Thank you in advance fellas.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you click the flashlight light on and off multiple times that damage can happen. Does this sound accurate to your guys ears?

I hope that's not true, I periodically click them like that for fun!

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
these switches are suppose to last you some tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of clicks, so clicking it on and off rapidly will not damage it.
I had a mode switching problem when I first got mine, it was due to too much lube/grease on the head and tail thread. So I cleaned it thoroughly using some alcohol swap and re-apply a thin lube. It's working flawlessly since.
There are a few maintenance videos that you can download from Fenix website, although it's from Fenix, the maintenance steps are equally applicable to other brands and make of flashlights too.
Link below:
Fenix: maintenance for lights
:)

lebox97

Enlightened
you didn't buy new cells - so we still don't know if it's the cells that are causing the problem? :sigh:

I'd personally like to know where you read that turning a light on/off multiple times damages it - I have never heard of such a thing. (send me a PM pls)

You need to contact the dealer you purchased this from ASAP so they can be involved in this, and resolve your concern. Return/Exchange policies are typically 7-14 days, maybe longer - so you need to get moving.
Each dealer is going to have their own individual return/exchange policy (if at all), but, EagleTac has a lifetime Warranty.

FYI - EagleTac does not have a "store" - the "EagleTac-Store" is one of the several EagleTac Dealers, and is a smart man for naming it that.

Yikes I went to Besbuy a few days ago and you guys are spot on right (the prices for cr123 batteries are CRAZY MAN what a bloody rip off). I didn't want to end up throwing down more money :mad: and still get a negative result from my problematic Eagletac, so I just think I'm going to return it to the dealer that I bought it from so he can determine what's really going on with my T10LC2. I was doing some more researching in the CPF forums and I started discovering a couple people who were saying that if you click the flashlight light on and off multiple times that damage can happen. Does this sound accurate to your guys ears? I mean this isn't even the case with my scenario but why would such a pretty expensive (at least for me, I know that there are other flashlights with even bigger price tags) and at least well built looking flashlight be prone to such a malfunction? Man I hope they can reimburse me my money even though I would really want another EagleTac because when it was working properly the light output was amazing. Do any of you think it would be a better idea if, I sent my flashlight to the official Eagletac store instead of the dealer who I bought it from, who might end up sugar tailing the story and tricking me since I'm still a novice/amateur flashlight enthusiast? Please anyone with experience with Eagletacs return/exchange policy please chime in. I noticed that there at least 7-8 (maybe more authorized Eagletac dealers) so maybe they can also chime in and tell me how things will unfold. -Thank you in advance fellas.