SF 6P two-stage mod.?

ferretray

Newly Enlightened
I find it hard to believe that with all of the techno-geeks (No insult intended) around, no one manufactures a simple two-stage mod. for the extremely popular Surefire 6P.
What gives?

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
There was one available, but I don't know if they have been discontinued.
They were available at the sandwich shoppe. It requires you to mod the original momentary tailcap though. The two stage offered options for selecting resistors for different low-level outputs. I own two of these and love them in my lego'd C series Surefire lights. They are very hard to come by now it seems, but maybe a request in the BST or the Marketplace will help you find one.

I forgot to mention that these were only for LED modules.

Last edited:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was the McC2S switch for the Surefire classic series. Basically turned a 6P/C2 etc into a L1 style light with dual modes. Apparently the switches aren't made anymore.

ferretray

Newly Enlightened
Apparently a "Large manufacturer" forced them to quit selling the switch/parts. No one has picked up the ball.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several manufacturers make multi stage p60 style drop-ins. I have a Wolfeyes 2 stage high/low in my G2. I know DX has several. I believe lighthound also has a couple solarforce clickie switches that fit the SF 6P. Of course you could always just put the SF Z59 clickon tailcap on it with one of the multi level drop-ins like I did...

G2DL-full.jpg

Last edited:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I also use a WolfEyes 2-stage dropin in my EDC 6P. Runs freakin forever on 'low', which is 5-10% of 'high' I believe.

ferretray

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info. ref. the Wolfeyes two stage mod. Y'all have a link to someone selling these? I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks, Ray

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can make reverse clicky two stage 6P switches. Time consuming though. Mudman sells the resistors. Dealextreme has the switches.

ferretray

Newly Enlightened
If this is something you'd be willing to take on please PM me. If you would provide a parts list (And where I could find em'), I'll get the parts and get up with you. Of course I'd pay for your time and effort.
Thanks, Ray
P.S. I can already hear the snickering, but whats a reverse clicky? :eek:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
forward clicky = press lightliy for on, press further to click (to stay on) release and it stays on

reverse clicky = press all the way to click (still off) release and the light comes on.

how many are you thinking of making? I'd be happy to tell you how I did it.

ferretray

Newly Enlightened
I've just got the one 6P right now so that would be it. Please share any info. you can on the mod. and I'll give it a shot.
Thanks again, Ray

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
highkd6.jpg

lowru9.jpg

sdc13508.jpg

sdc13509.jpg

sdc13514.jpg

Three way clicky
on on off on on off

Switch body and module housing

Orange and GITD Switch boots

Tiny resistors and tiny wire from Mudman 20 ohm for single LiIon cell.

After everything is soldered in place and the spring is soldered to the switch, I potted everything with clear epoxy for stability. It's ugly but it works. so far no problems with any of my finished multi-mode switches in over a year.

Tools required:
Dremel with cutoff wheel.
Soldering gun with solder
needle nose pliers
knife
Scissors
Ingenuity

Last edited:

ferretray

Newly Enlightened
Thank you folks, I sure appreciate your time and effort.
I'm going to get the stuff together and give it a shot. I'll let you know how I make out.